USMC Drill Instructors

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
As far as officers go, dont look at them and think they are pushovers. I remember my squadron commander who was a former figther pilot. He had a broke arm. On our graduation run we were to do 50 pushups in front of our familys. He did every single one of them 1 handed with us with a broke arm in his sling on our TI's count. That was crazy amazing. So yea, officer program isnt a joke either.

Janstang

Established Member
Ahhh, brings back memories. One thing it did for me was make me a clean freak. Wife can clean the house and I'll come behind her and do it my way.. Pisses her off..

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Whats the point of the yelling in your face exactly? Are they trying to break your spirits or make you tougher?

The military does not want people to work a 9-5 who call in sick just because they don't feel good. They want people who can function (actually perform miraculously) in a stressful environment. It is easy for someone to perform well, when they have slept well, have eaten well, has no outside stresses, no pressure. The whole purpose of the training and that is exactly what it is (training) is to simulate a combat environment and all its chaos and uncomfort during peacetime in a controlled setting. There you see who can still perform and accomplish the mission. Those are the ones you want in the military. The ones that function in the severe environment and conditions.

Matt S

FLY USMC
Established Member
Agreed. We had over half our company attrite in the summer of 2001. Started with 280 and graduated 135. Don't know what the rate is like now as this was pre 9-11 and they weren't trying to expand the Marine Corps, but I would like to think the standards haven't changed any.

It's been awhile since I've been there now too, but in 2005 the attrition rate was similar to what you said. Maybe slightly less, like 40-45%

To the OP, as stated previously buy a good pair of running shoes because you'll be using them a lot. At least until halfway through, then you switch to boots & utes runs. OCS is a good time(in a sick kind of way) and it's a great feeling of accomplishment. PM me if you'd like any details.

RareYellowAsp

Established Member
I've been Army for 16 years now, both Enlisted and now as an Officer. I remember the first day of Basic so well. The Drill steps on the bus, and says very calmly. "I'd like to welcome you ladies to Ft. Jackson South Carolina. Now grab your shit. You've got 10 seconds to get off my bus, and you'd better not ****ing touch me!"

He stood in the middle of the aisle and didn't budge. All you saw were assholes and elbows going over the seats. The rest of the Drills were standing outside the bus, snagging random Privates and making their first day a living hell.

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
After 21 years as a Marine Officer I can say I would not have traded it for anything. The bonds formed between you and your fellow Marines, both officer and enlisted, will last forever. The discipline you acquire will be extremely valuable in the civilian world. Should you choose to enlist or go to OCS be in the best shape you can be in before you show up. It will pay dividends.

usmcrebel

Established Member
OH GOD I LOVE THAT SHIT!!!

I enjoyed every single minute of being ****ed with and figuring out what got on their nerves to **** with them :)

**** straight OCS you don't know shit when you go there, and you won't know anything about your men....be a mustang or don't do it at all, and your men will like you more for that. Go infantry...if you wanted admin, or some stupid shit you shoulda gone AF or Army.

and as to why the DI's yell, it's to cause a mental break down of the weaker/ most recruits. when they yell just give them a little smirk. then you get to see what they look like when they really get mad.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
I've been Army for 16 years now, both Enlisted and now as an Officer. I remember the first day of Basic so well. The Drill steps on the bus, and says very calmly. "I'd like to welcome you ladies to Ft. Jackson South Carolina. Now grab your shit. You've got 10 seconds to get off my bus, and you'd better not ****ing touch me!"

He stood in the middle of the aisle and didn't budge. All you saw were assholes and elbows going over the seats. The rest of the Drills were standing outside the bus, snagging random Privates and making their first day a living hell.

you would be terribly sad to see what Jackson has turned into. I worked there for 2 years and the place is a summer camp now. the DI's have no authority to do crap anymore. I feel bad for them.:nonono: you see kids hanging on them and bs'ing around them. its just sad all the way around.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
My father-in-law who was Vietnam Marine, was "welcomed" off his bus in San Diego by none other than this guy (no BS):

r.%2Blee%2Bermey.jpg

customperforman

Drivin the Big Iron
Established Member
ive been in the Corps for 12 years now. started enlisted and now i fly Ch-53s. the Marines definately offer intangibles that no other organization does. the DIs at OCS aren't as much like the videos. OCS and Basic Training have different goals. Boot camp is more of a mental training like Flyin said wheras OCS is much more physical strain. IE, bootcamp is more mental games and OCS is harder physically.

if you have a degree already or plan on being in for any length of time, the officer route is the only way to go. the money is so much better, as is the quality of life. being a Marine is great for a stepping stone into any carreer, wether officer or enlisted, but officer does open some extra doors. however, being enlisted is somewhat easier (not as much responsibility, etc)

feel free to contact me with any specific questions. and dont sign anything without talking to a Marine who is not trying to get you to sign something; i got my brother $5 K in signing bonus and a guaranteed Crewchief job!

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread