Used GT350 vs 2018 GT Track Pack 2

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Yep agree... I don’t do Facebook but the classifieds overall on FB are awesome from what I’ve heard.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
yeah i can't stand it, but its just too handy for car/bike/jeep stuff. i noticed many fake names so i'm guessing a lot of folks use it for the car groups and only that reason

deepblue13

Established Member
why it'd be hard for me to pay 54k used...i know its orange, but still...

http://www.expresswayfordmountverno...ernon-IN-27d52f420a0e0a1768ab638b00aab0b8.htm

Dang that’s an awesome price.

I went and looked at the 2016 Race Red with track pack. Noticed right away when walking up a lot of rock chips on the front bumper and hood. The previous owner must have daily drove the car. The dealership was asking $54.995 last week and came down to $49.995 on Monday. They came down to $48.995 while I was there but added $399 for tint, $749 for Polysteel? Coating and $149 for nitrogen. They would remove any of it. I walked away.

Came down the street to another dealer that is at least discounting 2017s new. Waiting to sign the papers on a new 2017 with electronics package and car cover right now. Got $2000 off MSRP so I will say I’m happy having drove 240 miles this morning to buy a different car.

Looking forward to adding another black Shelby to the shop.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I would go with GT.

The oil consumption issues on the 5.2 would be enough to scare me away. I wouldn’t want to risk it for a track vehicle with WILL be ran hard.

Definitely scares me some...I went thru this back in the day with early LS1s before they changed rings, piston design, pvc circuit etc....damn 99 formula was throwing check oil light around 900-1000 miles on an oil change (traded the car at 20K miles)...I can deal with some oil consumption, its nature of the beast with high hp cars, but not at the rate many guys are seeing with the 3'fiddy.

Zemedici

Established Member
Definitely scares me some...I went thru this back in the day with early LS1s before they changed rings, piston design, pvc circuit etc....damn 99 formula was throwing check oil light around 900-1000 miles on an oil change (traded the car at 20K miles)...I can deal with some oil consumption, its nature of the beast with high hp cars, but not at the rate many guys are seeing with the 3'fiddy.

I’ve got a customer that’s put 14 quarts of oil in his Shelby in the past 4 weeks....probably 80%+ of the Shelby’s i see in my shop are consuming oil at a faster rate than ford states is acceptable

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve got a customer that’s put 14 quarts of oil in his Shelby in the past 4 weeks....probably 80%+ of the Shelby’s i see in my shop are consuming oil at a faster rate than ford states is acceptable

Holy crap that’s bad. I had no idea the issue was that severe.

ANGREY

Established Member
A guy I know, in Mexico, he's done multiple trips one as long as 657 miles (in 7 hours and 19 minutes WITH fuel stops) and a couple at 300 or so miles (in 2.5 to 3 hours) running the car as hard as it's probably been ran for such an extended duration, including jaunts from 55 mph, upward of 130 mph, with intermittent revs when getting stuck behind cars and then accelerating back to cruising speeds of 110+ for hours on end. Minimal oil consumption, no heating problems (track pack car). This car will eat pavement at 103 mph at 3k rpms for as long as the fuel tank will allow (and cruises at 93 mph at 2500 rpms). Every other week he dumps the catch can with about 3-4 FL oz of oil accumulation. For every story about the GT350 being some sort of mechanical lemons, there's people that flog the ever loving hell out of it. This guy I know, he drives the car like he stole it everywhere. (I highly recommend a radar detector with dual antennae, front and rear to keep track of where police assistance might be to keep you safer).

For every product sold, you'll get guys online claiming it's a turd, I deal with this on nearly EVERY modern firearm I buy, from shotguns to semi auto shotguns to pistols to bolt action rifles, there's always someone who swears the product (or the manufacturer) are turds and then there's a whole host of people using the product with little to no issues.

I bought my first KSG shotgun from Keltec (a cheap and shoddy company) when the interweb was full of idiots claiming it had feeding problems. Turns out if you take your balls out of your purse and pump the gun like a man, it not only feeds everything from high/low brass, to low recoil self defense to shorty Aguila ammo. I've also bought guns that didn't work properly (My first Robinson XCR wouldn't cycle). I guess my point is, for just about everything you buy, there's an unhappy someone out there that has a defect. I had my concerns with the GT350 oil consumption but for every guy that seems to have an issue, there's way more that love the car and beat it like a rented mule.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
A guy I know, in Mexico, he's done multiple trips one as long as 657 miles (in 7 hours and 19 minutes WITH fuel stops) and a couple at 300 or so miles (in 2.5 to 3 hours) running the car as hard as it's probably been ran for such an extended duration, including jaunts from 55 mph, upward of 130 mph, with intermittent revs when getting stuck behind cars and then accelerating back to cruising speeds of 110+ for hours on end. Minimal oil consumption, no heating problems (track pack car). This car will eat pavement at 103 mph at 3k rpms for as long as the fuel tank will allow (and cruises at 93 mph at 2500 rpms). Every other week he dumps the catch can with about 3-4 FL oz of oil accumulation. For every story about the GT350 being some sort of mechanical lemons, there's people that flog the ever loving hell out of it. This guy I know, he drives the car like he stole it everywhere. (I highly recommend a radar detector with dual antennae, front and rear to keep track of where police assistance might be to keep you safer).

For every product sold, you'll get guys online claiming it's a turd, I deal with this on nearly EVERY modern firearm I buy, from shotguns to semi auto shotguns to pistols to bolt action rifles, there's always someone who swears the product (or the manufacturer) are turds and then there's a whole host of people using the product with little to no issues.

I bought my first KSG shotgun from Keltec (a cheap and shoddy company) when the interweb was full of idiots claiming it had feeding problems. Turns out if you take your balls out of your purse and pump the gun like a man, it not only feeds everything from high/low brass, to low recoil self defense to shorty Aguila ammo. I've also bought guns that didn't work properly (My first Robinson XCR wouldn't cycle). I guess my point is, for just about everything you buy, there's an unhappy someone out there that has a defect. I had my concerns with the GT350 oil consumption but for every guy that seems to have an issue, there's way more that love the car and beat it like a rented mule.

Sure... and i'd agree with most all of that.

Only problem is, when you spend $60k or more for a car (or anything for that matter), you are more likely to not be truthful about it's faults as to preserve your image of making a "good buy".

ANGREY

Established Member
Sure... and i'd agree with most all of that.

Only problem is, when you spend $60k or more for a car (or anything for that matter), you are more likely to not be truthful about it's faults as to preserve your image of making a "good buy".

Agreed. But I have yet to hear stories of Ford not making it right. On the flip side of this aspect, people that spend $60k on something and are unhappy are REALLY REALLY unhappy and more likely to tell people about it and be more emphatic about it.

Every product has recalls and defects. The bigger issue is whether the company makes right by their sale in fixing it. I get more spooked away when I hear detailed stories about something not working and the company not willing to replace it or honor warranties and such. THAT is where I'd be inclined to pass on something.

There's a few things about my 350 I don't like. It has some rattles that bother me. The driver's side windshield wiper nicks the paint on the rear edge of the hood. The car has uphill start assistance but a prop rod for the hood (even my 4runner has hood struts). The stereo system is pretty subpar. The car doesn't feature "mycolor" (but the GT does). The oil changes are $119 just for materials. The tires are $1100-$1200 just for the tires (not including mount/balance). The driver's (and passenger side) vent diffusers are cheap and dysfunctional (can't be aimed without effecting flow). Don't even get me started on the body panel fitment issues.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve read a lot about vibrations and rattles.

Seems like an issue I wouldn’t want to deal with in 5 years.

Nothing worse than a rattling dash that the dealer “just can’t seem to find”. My mom had a vette with a dash that sounded like it had loose bolts rolling around underneath.

Drove her crazy.

ANGREY

Established Member
I’ve read a lot about vibrations and rattles.

Seems like an issue I wouldn’t want to deal with in 5 years.

Nothing worse than a rattling dash that the dealer “just can’t seem to find”. My mom had a vette with a dash that sounded like it had loose bolts rolling around underneath.

Drove her crazy.

This is a problem that plagues most American cars and most cheap foreign makes. I get that it shouldn't be a problem in a vehicle that costs upward of the median American family annual income or higher, but it's there. And the problem is absolutely exacerbated with the flat plane crank and the additional NVH

Zeromaz

Established Member

Does the oil consumption start right off the bat or usually later down the line when people have miles on them?

Zemedici

Established Member

All of that is fine and dandy, except I’m not talking about ‘what people are saying online’ as these are firsthand accounts, that i can verify. Soooo....and yes Ford absolutely makes it right, but how would you feel when your $60,000 vehicle has a failing motor right out of the gate?

Or looking at a GT350 and you see ‘motor replaced under warranty’

It leaves a bad taste in people’s mouth about the brand. Hell with the panel fitment issues my girls car had (had to put 3 front bumpers on it due to the passenger side retaining bracket breaking, again, common problem), she vowed to never buy another ford. This conclusion is more common than you would think. I cannot count the amount of times my customers have said they sold their GT350 for numerous reasons, issues with the vehicles themselves.

In the end, the cars not worth the prices they are at, plain and simple.

@Zeromaz both, a few cars have <4000 miles others have around 10k

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I would wait for the GT500 to be announced in detail before purchasing a 350. Or consider the dark side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
All of that is fine and dandy, except I’m not talking about ‘what people are saying online’ as these are firsthand accounts, that i can verify. Soooo....and yes Ford absolutely makes it right, but how would you feel when your $60,000 vehicle has a failing motor right out of the gate?

Or looking at a GT350 and you see ‘motor replaced under warranty’

It leaves a bad taste in people’s mouth about the brand. Hell with the panel fitment issues my girls car had (had to put 3 front bumpers on it due to the passenger side retaining bracket breaking, again, common problem), she vowed to never buy another ford. This conclusion is more common than you would think. I cannot count the amount of times my customers have said they sold their GT350 for numerous reasons, issues with the vehicles themselves.

In the end, the cars not worth the prices they are at, plain and simple.

@Zeromaz both, a few cars have <4000 miles others have around 10k

Couldn’t agree more.

Seems the 13/14 s197 Shelby paved the way for glorious sales and initial dealer mark ups on the GT350 because of the old cars overall greatness.

I genuinely mean this when I say I feel for the the guys that paid ridiculous mark ups when the 350 was first launched.

ANGREY

Established Member
I paid $51k for a 2016 track pack with a hair over 8k miles on it LAST YEAR. When compared to a fully loaded GT, with better brakes, better tires, better suspension and body, better trans, better performance components (like trans and diff coolers), etc. That's a bargain. If the motor tanks, Ford will replace it.

I'm not defending Ford and I'm hoping at SOME POINT we all figure out why some cars eat MORE oil than others. I'm just saying that I run into quite a few 350 owners and not a single one of them says "I wouldn't have bought it" or "I regret buying this thing." In fact, MOST of them couldn't be happier.

It's not until I come on line where I see the boogie men come out. I'm not saying there aren't cases where the car needs warranty attention and like I said, the body panel defects are a major knock on Ford as well as this issue with oil consumption.

And I absolutely agree, that if you paid way above MSRP for yours, the value is greatly diminished, but to swipe a broad brush and say to avoid the car (in my opinion) isn't necessarily sound advice. We'll just agree to disagree. This is my 3rd mustang. I realize there's people on this board who've owned several times that. Compared to the cars that were coming off the line just a few years ago, for what you get, the 350 (at reasonable pricing) is a great value. And you can't put a price on "uniqueness" of the exhaust note.

Users who are viewing this thread