Used eBay wheel purchase need input

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I started bidding on a used set of weld stonecrushers for a superduty. Weld is no longer in business. Pictures aren't that great in the ad, but I figured if there was a condition issue it would have been mentioned in the listing. I thought shipping was high and bid accordingly. I get a call from my wife who was livid pissed, as she is the one that picked out the wheels for her excursion. I make it home and lay eyes on them and I'm not happy, I go check the ad and he mentions minor rock damage in the ad after I put my bid in. I haven't received anything back from the seller through eBay. Am I in the wrong for not rechecking the ad for ad updates? Every wheel has some damage, some minor but one wheel looks like it was run flat.

Here is the original listing

http://m.ebay.com/itm/291352170735?txnId=0

BFBED3C0-8F5E-4441-B0AE-70FCC7E17425_zpskxgxhzqs.jpg

299E3784-C401-4B9C-A2BF-7FE590478A75_zpserzgcyaj.jpg

Am I being a candy ass about this? Or should I be upset?

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
That looks like damage from poor tire install job. Though im on my phone and the pics are small.
I wouldnt be happy about it either, especially if he altered the ad after bidding already started.
With big fat tires you likely wont see it

DGladhill

Established Member
He says there's a bit of "rockrash" but you can tell by the way he took the pictures that he was trying to hide something. I'd get a quote on getting them repaired and ask him to go in 50/50 on it since he was being shady.

J-Hem

Guy Trilby
Established Member
He says there's a bit of "rockrash" but you can tell by the way he took the pictures that he was trying to hide something. I'd get a quote on getting them repaired and ask him to go in 50/50 on it since he was being shady.

Dude's dishonest about what he sells he's not going to help him with repairs. OP will never hear from him again. He's in the wind. Resell the wheels and cut your losses and get different wheels if these are too hashed to live with. Although it doesn't seem right sellers can easily edit items with bids while they are in progress. E-Bay can be a gamble.

oldmodman

Established Member
Since you paid by PayPal with the payment being made through a credit card. Dispute the charge and unless the seller issues a return pick up at no expense to you keep the wheels as well as getting your money back.

If I was selling those wheels my ad would have read. Set of Weld wheels. Really beat up. Rims scratched and chewed up. And there would have been 20 pics showing both sides of the wheels. But that's just me.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You said the seller added the comment about the road rash after your final bid. File a dispute with PayPal stating the wheels were not as described and that the seller added the comment after your bid. They should be able to confirm that he added the road rash comment after your bid. I agree that your complaint to PayPal should require the seller issue a carrier pick-up at no expense to you.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Send them out for powder coating. The shop can fix the issues while doing so

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Have them repaired and re coated and then send the seller the bill.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
You can't buy used and expect new, but if he really added the rash comment after you had already placed your max bid, that is B.S. Did you pay more than 50% of what they would have cost you new? That's usually my threshold for buying anything used. I better be getting it for at least 50% off. I think the wheels could be cleaned up pretty easily, which is going to cost you, but hopefully not too bad.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I found this information on eBay.

If the auction has bids, you can't change the original Description, but if it still has more than 12 hours left, you can ADD to the description. Then at the end of the auction if you have a winner who hasn't read that part (or if it's too late to add anything), you can offer to cancel the transaction.

IMO if you already bid, and a comment is added to the listing AFTER you bid, eBay should send the added comment to you or at least alert you that the comment was added. Thus giving you a chance to retract your bid or request a cancellation of the transaction.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I found this information on eBay.

If the auction has bids, you can't change the original Description, but if it still has more than 12 hours left, you can ADD to the description. Then at the end of the auction if you have a winner who hasn't read that part (or if it's too late to add anything), you can offer to cancel the transaction.

IMO if you already bid, and a comment is added to the listing AFTER you bid, eBay should send the added comment to you or at least alert you that the comment was added. Thus giving you a chance to retract your bid or request a cancellation of the transaction.

I've always thought they should send a message. Hey this has been added, go take a look., and on bigger ticket items I usually keep an eye on stuff because the seller usually answers questions about the item and posts it there for everyone to see. I never figured that the description on a set of wheels would change.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
You can't buy used and expect new, but if he really added the rash comment after you had already placed your max bid, that is B.S. Did you pay more than 50% of what they would have cost you new? That's usually my threshold for buying anything used. I better be getting it for at least 50% off. I think the wheels could be cleaned up pretty easily, which is going to cost you, but hopefully not too bad.

I was expecting some sandblasting or scuffs, or stains in the aluminum, or used wheel wear and tear, but not damage.
Those wheels were costly new, costly enough that I think it played a factor in why they aren't made anymore. This is my 6th set of used weld wheels, and this is the most I have paid for any of them. I think I can sand the bead and polish 3 wheels and live with them. But the one with the damage all the way around just pisses me off. I wouldn't have paid as much for them if I saw the damage, or for 100.00 more I would have bought 4 brand new aluminum wheels with center caps and warrantee. Race line makes a knockoff of this wheel. I sent the seller a message with no response, so I filed a dispute with eBay and got a message almost immediately saying I would be in contact today. I guess we will see.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Still wouldn't hurt to call PayPal and review this with them. You might get them to side with you and maybe get some money back from the seller. Especially if it can be proven that the added comment about rash was added after you bid. It is not uncommon for people to bid on an item and not look at the item description again since they aren't expecting it to be changed. It's just a phone call.

Users who are viewing this thread