Used 4V swap vs rebuilding a 'core'

Ashlander

Established Member
I'm planning a 4v swap into an 01 GT, and have started to notice that getting a typical 100-150k used motor from an Aviator would cost around the same as getting a cheap core motor for about $400, then rebuilding it with new pistons, gaskets, bearings, etc., depending on the machine work needed. My only concern in doing this would be the quality of the parts in some of the rebuild kits. Just wondering your guys thoughts on using, which I'm sure are, generic off brand pistons and gaskets on these things, or if sourcing everything separately from the bigger companies would be more advised. Or would you, for about the same price give or take a couple $100, just get a used motor, check it over, and drop er in. Either way, I'm intending on replacing the guides with aluminum/billet ones, just for future peace of mind.

Also wondering if the head cooling mod is necessary, or would it not make much difference on a stock street engine?

Ashlander

Established Member
If I was building a race motor or planning to go with FI in the future I would, but this is just going to be a mostly stock DD. As of now I got a CAI, headers, and will probably get it tuned after it's running. If I do anything further down the line (as far as hp), it'll probably just be exhaust. For now I just want to get the thing going. The stock Mach 1's and Avis had cast internals (except the crank in the 5sp) and were good up to about 450, which I don't plan on getting close to at all. At most I'll probably bring it up to about 350whp, so forged would be overkill and wasted money the way I see it.

I'm just wondering about the reliability of a salvage yard motor (assuming everything is checked over and appears fine, and chain guides replaced), vs a rebuild with generic no-name pistons and bearings. I've built a 302 with similar parts and was fine, but that was like a 200rwhp motor, not one that will dyno 300-330 when all is said and done.

Users who are viewing this thread