USAF Special Operations

Last

Established Member
And thats what the game is. Mental. They want to see how bad you really want it. The physical part is just to break you down. They want to see what you really have offer.

Nothing can be more frustrating to having a room so clean that you could perform surgery in, only to have them come in, take one breath and trash the place. By trash the place, I mean toss everything you have out the window while you push.

And dont get me started on that log...

Don't you dare show any frustration at those airborne inspections!

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
Don't you dare show any frustration at those airborne inspections!

To be honest, I did. Only one. My breathing was interpreted as 'heavier than normal'.

I'm pretty sure I went airborne too...I just don't remember between getting my ass handed to me 6 ways from Sunday. :thumbsup:

OU812

Established Member
I have a friend that is finally a SOWT guy, it took him 6 years to do it though. He had to retrain into weather, earn his 5-level then retrain into the SOWT shred. SOWT is not a career field that you can just get into like CCT, PJ, or TACP. I did that PAST test in basic back when I came in and smoked it but coming in maintenance screwed me, they were hurting bad for maintenance and security forces and wouldn't release anyone out of those jobs to even try for it.

computer_nerd

Established Member
I have a friend that is finally a SOWT guy, it took him 6 years to do it though. He had to retrain into weather, earn his 5-level then retrain into the SOWT shred. SOWT is not a career field that you can just get into like CCT, PJ, or TACP. I did that PAST test in basic back when I came in and smoked it but coming in maintenance screwed me, they were hurting bad for maintenance and security forces and wouldn't release anyone out of those jobs to even try for it.

when i was a first term airman, they couldnt keep me from retraining into anything i want (i was a cop). I basically picked all the AFSC's that had big SRB's. This was in 2003. I picked weather, intel, and comm. I wanted to do combat weather as well, but I didnt get selected. I got comm instead. Either way I got a 6 SRB for re-enlisting.

I really wanted Weather, but it didnt work out for me. good luck!

motorider228

Established Member

SOWT is its own AFSC now, you no longer have to go the regular WX route anymore.

Jtaugner

Established Member
Surprised to see to so much dislike for Maintenance. Crew Chief here for 7 years and I love it. I guess it depends on your airframe.

Only career field I know of that gets MRT's, Flying Slots, multiple backshops (MOC, W&T, Haz etc) and their own jets.. Unless your burnt out on ground pounding.

Last edited:

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I got tired of MX too (aero prop C-5 & F-16s) after 5 years and cross-trained to the Predator. No better enlisted job in the AF, never leave home yet have immediate effect on war effort (as Sensor Operator).

Although on nice weather days I do miss working outside of a windowless building!

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
I worked alot with a few pj squadrons, one out of Davis Monthan and the other out of Moody in the "Africa" area lol..... I liked working with the pj's, they were good, but of course they always thought they were more high speed then what they really are. Alot of good training and was really leaning on crossing over the them but the 2 solid years of training before you are even a pj and a good state highway patrol offer has me taking my career to another path.
We also worked a lot with a few of the "Team" operators some from 10 and some from 2 and I THINK on one occasion a pair of 6 guys... those of you in the community know who I'm talking about. Very professional, very MODEST, just all around great guys to work with. I think I enjoyed working with them more than fellow Marines... on real world missions at least, you just cant beat everyday Marine shenanigans

The AF is also giving out some good bonuses for spec ops right now

Dragu1a

Established Member
we asked him how many lives he saved, he responded "I only remember the ones I lost"

it may be true, but it sounds like a line out of "the guardian"

good state highway patrol offer has me taking my career to another path.

did you go OSHP? my brother is a trooper going on 13yrs and my friend just graduated the academy, i want to say about a month ago.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
did you go OSHP? my brother is a trooper going on 13yrs and my friend just graduated the academy, i want to say about a month ago.[/QUOTE]

Not yet, Just had my initial interview and just received my package with the testing dates down at the academy.. I have a good friend whos been in 13years... the next academy is in Nov... hoping to get into that one

Dragu1a

Established Member
USMC53CHIEF said:
Not yet, Just had my initial interview and just received my package with the testing dates down at the academy.. I have a good friend whos been in 13years... the next academy is in Nov... hoping to get into that one

Well good luck brother, they're a picky bunch...my brother loves his job.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
yeah they sure are... I should be good to go tho, I would really like to get into the DEA and ATF operations in S. America, but Im gonna start here at OSP

Users who are viewing this thread