USAF Special Operations

usafimj

Established Member
Any of you guys here pj's, cct, tacp, sowt, or the likes. I'm a SSgt with 8yrs in working aircraft maintenance. I'm wanting a job where I can see the results of my actions. Fixing jets isn't getting me that satisfaction I'm looking for. Thinking of trying out for the Special Operations Weather Team and would like some insight on your thoughts of being special operators? Do you have family and if so how do they cope with the life style? Would you have a chosen a different carrer field or what would you do different? Any info you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Israel

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
Before you jump into it, see what their requirements are, understand them, train to exceed their basic requirements THEN apply. Don't just apply because you have a decent PT score and are bored with life.

Ive got a few friends who are TACP's and PJ's. They are all single and they stay busy for most of the time. Not implying you can't have a family but consider the considerable stress of being gone a lot more and it's effects on your family.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
Yea I've been looking into the requirements and i think I can meet/exceed them.

Don't think...KNOW.

I only say this because I initially went through the PJ program but badly broke my arm in week 8 so that ended that gig for me. Trust me on one thing, you have to WANT some of those programs if you want to succeed. It's not just showing up and going through the motions, it's complete and total dedication to the job. Nothing else comes before it.

CCT isn't as 'strict' if you get what I mean. One of my guys crossed into it a couple years ago and is loving life.

I've only met one gray beret. THATS something to reach for. Not many of those guys around.

usafimj

Established Member
The only thing that might hold me back is my ACL/meniscus repair back in 2008. I know I can do the run, push ups, and sit ups. Gotta work on my swim and pull ups. Plus there's a 3 mile run with 50lb ruck in 45min or less. Combat weather interet me alot more than the others.

What did the one combat weatherman have to say? That is if you got to talk with him for a bit

Last edited:

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
What did the one combat weatherman have to say? That is if you got to talk with him for a bit

He was actually with us for about a week so I got to pick his brain on several topics.

He said the training takes years to complete and it's a hard combo of operations type tactics and weather related fields of study. Lots of mathematics, physics, geography...that sort of thing.

Some of the places he alluded to being in blew my mind. Places we have not officially acknowledged being in.

But, being jump qualified is a requirement so I would check to see if that would hold you up passing a Class III physical. My arm did so thats why I'm doing what I do now. Should have went EOD. :bash:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
had a friend that taught EOD, and made some army friends that were EOD while I was in Iraq. It was high on my list of MOS that I was looking into before the military quit talking to me because of my bad eyes and flat feet.

now go answer your PMs LOL

He was actually with us for about a week so I got to pick his brain on several topics.

He said the training takes years to complete and it's a hard combo of operations type tactics and weather related fields of study. Lots of mathematics, physics, geography...that sort of thing.

Some of the places he alluded to being in blew my mind. Places we have not officially acknowledged being in.

But, being jump qualified is a requirement so I would check to see if that would hold you up passing a Class III physical. My arm did so thats why I'm doing what I do now. Should have went EOD. :bash:

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
had a friend that taught EOD, and made some army friends that were EOD while I was in Iraq. It was high on my list of MOS that I was looking into before the military quit talking to me because of my bad eyes and flat feet.

now go answer your PMs LOL

Just got the notification. Replying now :rockon:

speedsun

Established Member
Ive met quite a few of these guys. TACP is what everyone seems to think is the easiest. But you'll just get stationed/deploy with the ARMY. I've got a car buddy thats a controller, he seems to like it but busted his ass to get where he is today. Everyone that I know that went out for PJ, didn't fair so well. But my Command Chief is a PJ, probably the coolest ****ing Chief in the AF... we asked him how many lives he saved, he responded "I only remember the ones I lost"

A good friend failed out of EOD for not having his chin stap on his helmet on correctly if that tells you anything about that job too. SERE is tough too, had a coworker come back in a week after he left. He didn't speak about it anymore after he failed out.

Guess I see/meet a lot of the berets being at Hurlburt haha. If it was me and I was in shape and had the determination, i'd go CCT. But I'm shooting for an aircrew job under NCORP

Good luck on whatever path you choose tho.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
You can go EOD. It's not under Special Operation but is supposed to be an awesome job. I'm down at Eglin right now if you have any questions about the school life.

yelostang

Established Member
Spend some time looking over this website:

Specialtactics.com: Pararescue, Combat Control, CRO, STO, SERE, and SOWT Information

It is mostly field work and a long training program.

+1 and do plenty of searching before asking any questions over there...I'm sure that what ever question you have they have answered before and they do not like to repeat themselves.

One thing about SOWT, unless it's changed, is that you have to be a 5-level weather troop before going to the special operations side.

When I was back at Hurby a CCT buddy of mine set me with a CMSgt that was a SOWT guy when I was trying to figure out if I wanted to go that route or CCT. It sounded like a pretty neat career field and they got to do some pretty cool stuff. I broke one of my legs and an ankle so that pretty much killed things for me.

charged351

Established Member
The only advice I can give, is do it! I did 4 years in aircraft maintenance. I came to realize that I wanted to do something more. My enlistment ended, and I left to pursue a career in law enforcement. To this day, I still think about TACP.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
The only thing that might hold me back is my ACL/meniscus repair back in 2008. I know I can do the run, push ups, and sit ups. Gotta work on my swim and pull ups. Plus there's a 3 mile run with 50lb ruck in 45min or less. Combat weather interet me alot more than the others.

Personally I wouldn't even look at minimum requirements. 3 mile ruck with 50lbs in 45min? Try 12 miles with 50lbs in less than 3 hours as a minimum. AFSOC operators often get attached to other SOF units in the military. If you are attached to Army Special Forces(green berets) you better be able to ruck your ass off. Marches lasting longer than 12 miles too. A good goal to shoot for would be 15 miles in under 4 hours. If you get attached to Rangers or SEAL's then you will be expected to stay at thier pace. Intense is an understatement.

Beerdog is correct in that you need to KNOW you can succeed at the physical requirements and exceed them. Walk in with high confidence in your physical ability but shed any cockyness because eveyone will reach a breaking point and eveyone hates the cocky ass hole. If you can put in the dedication to train HARD and for a long extended period of time to reach that level of physical fitness then you are probably a good candidate.

Last

Established Member
Thanks a lot for the responses guys. I'm still reading up on it.

The best personal advice I can give you is don't quit. Don't let the thought of quitting even enter your head. You need to show up prepared physically so they can challenge you mentally.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
The best personal advice I can give you is don't quit. Don't let the thought of quitting even enter your head. You need to show up prepared physically so they can challenge you mentally.

And thats what the game is. Mental. They want to see how bad you really want it. The physical part is just to break you down. They want to see what you really have offer.

Nothing can be more frustrating to having a room so clean that you could perform surgery in, only to have them come in, take one breath and trash the place. By trash the place, I mean toss everything you have out the window while you push.

And dont get me started on that log...

Users who are viewing this thread