UPR's Redesigned Catch Can

jewc75

Established Member
I have a 2012 Mustang GT and wanted to do something different. Ive tried several catch cans and even tried the breather setup. The other catch cans didnt work to my liking and the breather setup made a mess on my driver side cam cover. After some researching and talking to UPR i decided to give them a try. I ordered 2 of their newest catch cans, some hose, and quick connect fittings. The fittings are a direct replacement for Ford's factory hoses. This made install very easy. The pieces are well made imo.
Soon these parts will be grouped as a single part for those of us that want to do a custom setup.

Catch can broken down into pieces,

20150520_141411_zpscvsg2oir.jpg

20150520_141353_zpsezl7am0c.jpg

20150520_141301_zps4qu2wqc7.jpg

Fittings,

20150520_141648_zpsjhkzv28i.jpg

Hose and fittings, you can see how nicely it all fits together.

20150520_142258_zpsjk9iuazt.jpg

Being the person i am i wanted to run a test of sorts prior to installing the catch cans in their final places. I wanted to test just how well the primary can would catch the oil, so i installed the second can inline and ran the car like this for 5k miles. I was very pleasantly surprised at the results.

20150520_143012_zpspr2qj2se.jpg

I took apart the system and opened it all up,

Primary catch can, you can see all of the oil on the diffusers and in the can itself,

20150520_143754_zpso7ebbiev.jpg

Secondary catch can, as you can see its fairly clean which i did not expect, i expected it to have some oil in it. It didnt and thats a positive sign.

20150520_144004_zpszyf37z80.jpg

Diffuser is clean, another positive sign.

20150520_144028_zpspr6vr6yb.jpg

Finally, installed where they will stay.

20150520_145428_zpsjeauask4.jpg

After running the test this catch can exceeded my expectations. The hose going into the intake didn't have any oily residue in it, cant say that about the 2 prior catch cans. I've always had oil going in the air intake tube going into the throttle body since the car was new so i had to correct the problem. This is the best solution imo and im glad i made the choice to give the new redesigned UPR catch cans a try.

BrianH87

Established Member
Thanks for the review. I like this can. Everyone here seems to run different brands. I just need to figure out which one to get for my setup. They don't have this version plug and play for PD blowers.

jewc75

Established Member
Let me see what i can find out for you. I know they can do a custom setup. Thats how i did it.

Last edited:

Sharad

Junior Woodchuck
Established Member
Thanks for the objective review jewc75!

Thanks for the review. I like this can. Everyone here seems to run different brands. I just need to figure out which one to get for my setup. They don't have this version plug and play for PD blowers.

This can is actually available for the PD blower, it just hasn't been listed on the website yet. UPR can set you up if you call in the order.

Last edited:

jewc75

Established Member
I had one of the early JLT catch cans and then switched to the Moroso unit. The JLT caused more problems for me then it was worth. The Moroso is a solid unit but it is rather large and i didnt want to install another one for the passenger side.

nosscort

Established Member
I had one of the early JLT catch cans and then switched to the Moroso unit. The JLT caused more problems for me then it was worth. The Moroso is a solid unit but it is rather large and i didnt want to install another one for the passenger side.

so the moroso worked as it was supposed to just bigger than you wanted? I can under stand the JLT being inferior as the world knows by now lol..

70monte

Established Member
Nice review. I bought one of these catch cans when they first came out this past January. This was before they added the extra filtering ring that goes on the bottom of the middle diffuser. Here is my little review I did. http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f358/t363275/ My results without the new filtering ring were not good but my can did not mount where yours did with the longer run of hoses either. My can sits on top of the upper radiator hose and has a very short run of hose and gets very hot.

I did get the new filtering ring when they finally came out with it but I have not re-installed this can on my car yet since I want the remote mount and my current can is not set up for the remote mount. I have tried contacting UPR about upgrading my can so I can remote mount it but I guess the remote mount kit is not available yet and I would have to get a different can top, mounting bracket and the longer hoses for mine to work. My can top does not have the two threaded holes to mount the mounting bracket to it.

I'm still currently running the Bob's can which I'm very happy with. I'm waiting until I can remote mount my UPR can before I try using it again.

Wayne

Sharad

Junior Woodchuck
Established Member
Nice review. I bought one of these catch cans when they first came out this past January. This was before they added the extra filtering ring that goes on the bottom of the middle diffuser. Here is my little review I did. http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f358/t363275/ My results without the new filtering ring were not good but my can did not mount where yours did with the longer run of hoses either. My can sits on top of the upper radiator hose and has a very short run of hose and gets very hot.

I did get the new filtering ring when they finally came out with it but I have not re-installed this can on my car yet since I want the remote mount and my current can is not set up for the remote mount. I have tried contacting UPR about upgrading my can so I can remote mount it but I guess the remote mount kit is not available yet and I would have to get a different can top, mounting bracket and the longer hoses for mine to work. My can top does not have the two threaded holes to mount the mounting bracket to it.

I'm still currently running the Bob's can which I'm very happy with. I'm waiting until I can remote mount my UPR can before I try using it again.

Wayne

Wayne,

With regard to the effectiveness of the cans, the UPR PnP can sitting in front of the cylinder head is more effective than any other can in that location. However, the can IS more effective when it is remote mounted. That is why we offer that option as well. (some people want a more compact system, some want the most effective system)

Last edited:

_Snake_

Established Member

Thanks! I'm in the market for a can and wanted to know which ones weren't as effective (for whatever reason). This definitely helps, and it looks like a might be able to add UPR to my short list of choices.

70monte

Established Member
Wayne,

With regard to the effectiveness of the cans, the UPR PnP can sitting in front of the cylinder head is more effective than any other can in that location. However, the can IS more effective when it is remote mounted. That is why we offer that option as well. (some people want a more compact system, some want the most effective system)

The person I dealt with the last time I called was supposed to get back with me the next day after he had a chance to get with Joe and get some part #s but he never did. I don't like having to call back so I just let it go. I did call today after reading this thread and I'm supposed to call back in the morning and they said they will get me set up with what I need.

As far as the can's effectivness sitting in front of the cylinder head, I can't say what it is with the new filtering ring installed since I never installed the system after getting the new ring. In that location without the new ring, my use on my car was not very good in my opinion. The test done above seems to show that the new system with the new filtering ring seems to be working very well, at least in the remote location.

Wayne

FATHERFORD

Established Member
I still like to run my catch cans open to atmosphere... Those oil vapors will still coat your innards over time.

I run my catch can all the way to the back of the car under the spare tire area. That way I don't smell the fumes in the car.

Sharad

Junior Woodchuck
Established Member
Catch cans work better as they get farther away from the engine because the air is able to cool off more, which aids the condensation of the oil/water vapor. So if you take any can which is mounted to the engine and then remote mount it on the firewall (or any location without a heat source nearby) it will collect more oil.

70monte

Established Member
I contacted UPR today and they are hooking me up with what I need so I can run the remote mount. I want to say thanks for the great CS.

Wayne

70monte

Established Member
I again want to say thank you to UPR for setting me up with their new firewall mounted four chamber catch can for the 11-14 5.0 Mustang. They now have it for sale on their website under part # 5028-116 Here are some pictures I took of what I received in this kit.

There are a few design differences of my new can compared to the pictures that jewc75 posted above and what I had in my original kit that sat on the upper radiator hose.

My center diffuser is shorter than Jewc75's and my original one. The setup of the diffuser tube is slightly different and my long hose has a one way check valve that I didn't see in Jewc75's setup. I also have a different brand of hose than what Jewc75 has as well as what they have listed in their description of my kit on their website. I think mine says "Continental ConTitech" instead of "Goodyear". I don't know if there is any quality difference between the two.

001_zpsjrebkf4y.jpg

002_zpsbha7fihe.jpg

003_zpsyfzjj0al.jpg

004_zpssswi2geq.jpg

005_zpse7awnvwc.jpg

006_zpsxsrxm1fz.jpg

008_zpsgiigphi8.jpg

009_zpskk93xuad.jpg

Here is the difference between the two middle diffusers as they sit in the diffuser tube.
Short one
007_zpswcqi7ta1.jpg

Long one
006_zpspkevmvxe.jpg

I would be interested in hearing what UPR has to say about the long diffuser vs the short one and how my diffuser tube setup is different from jewc75's.

I will post a picture of it installed on my car when I get it installed. Thanks

Wayne

70monte

Established Member
After posting the last two pictures I noticed that the amount of holes on the two diffusers are different. 15 for the short one and 19 for the long one. The 19 hole on also appears bigger around. That diffuser was the one that came in my first kit I had.

I just remembered seeing the short diffuser included in their short can kit so I don't know if I got the short one by accident or UPR decided it was better for some reason.

I'm also thinking of making a non-permanent modification to this can. That is adding some stainless steel mesh in the bottom of the can to help keep oil from splashing up while driving. That is one design feature I really like on my Bob's can. I have some extra mesh from one of my UPR new design diffusers for their classic design can that I can use.

Wayne

Users who are viewing this thread