UPR Tubular Kmember

SVT Ryan

Established Member
I have a upr tubular k member with coil overs and was just wondering if anyone else is getting a lot of squeaks and creeks. When i hit a bump i can hear a noise from the driver front side sounds like the spring is shooting i guess? But when it is raining it sounds like my front end is about to fall apart clunks bangs creeks you name it anyone else have this issue?

MTBSully

Established Member
I assume you have checked for loose parts and bolts? My stock front end creeks and squeeks a decent amount when turning at low speeds

SVT Ryan

Established Member
yea i have checked and checked again i also used spaces on top of the strut and underneath still have noises. It really gets bad when its wet outside or when we have a dirt storm ( i live in lubbock tx we have haboobs often) but when its dry outside i only have rattles from the driver side the pass side seems fine.

TRBO VNM

Do you notice the spring type noise while turning?

People don't realize there is an oval punch out that protrudes into the shock tower on the driver side and the spring rubs against this. Depending on how you have the kmember squared up, it could happen just driving straight or happen then and when turning.

I bet most people don't even square up the kmember with the UPR and some others because of the lack of instructions. Check out the MM site and you can download instructions and you will see what all is involved to do it right. MM even sells a tool now to bend the metal out of the way. I used to just grind it and I know I mentioned the issue with MM a while ago.

Also make sure the top strut nut is all the way down. IF not, you will get clunking from that. And usually the noises will be from the cc plates you have if they are the UPR and some other brands. I don't have issues with MM.

fangs99

Established Member
Mine use to pop and bang. But that was from my CC plates..... If I turn really tight then I get a little noise where my coilover springs rub the struts.

SVT Ryan

Established Member
I have the upr k member and coil over kit with mm caster camber plates. Did anyone use a spacer on the top or underside of the strut?

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Mine was pretty quite till a shop took out my motor for a rebuild/built motor....

I dont know if they skipped something they were suppose to line up or what, but ever since then when going slow and turning it makes all types of wierd noises... Seems worse in the cold.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
The turning squeak is probably the rack bushing moving around. I lubed mine with grease and it went away. What strut are you using? I have a slow speed "clunk" and I'm told its my strange struts. Keep saying I'm going to put stockers back on to see if it quiets them. Also make sure spring is not contacting lip on frame as stated above. All in all mine are quiet at speed other than that low speed clunk.

Last edited:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
What front struts are you running?

Like Jason said. One depending on how that K was squared in, if it even was at all the spring can rub the under side of the sturt tower depending on the location of the K and alignment settings. If everything was installed properly it should be quiet.

You are supposed to use spacers on both sides of the CC plate. Spacer orientation depends on what strut you are using and ride height.

Do you have the spacers on the front lower ball joints installed in the correct position?

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
Sorry to BUT in...but i picked up MM Coilovers/CC Plates & MM lower control arms.
Could i use the UPR K member, and not need anything else?

MTBSully

Established Member
Sorry to BUT in...but i picked up MM Coilovers/CC Plates & MM lower control arms.
Could i use the UPR K member, and not need anything else?

I also would like to know this. Anybody know if MM A arms and coilovers can be used with UPR k member?

Evo2SVT

Established Member
If they are designed for the stock k-member then you should be fine.

Phil'scobra

Established Member
I have MM CC/Plates and UPR K-member & A-arms, When I installed mine, I was under the driver/passenger side turning the wheel back and forth, jacking it updown and checking for rubing and binding. I had to add extra spacers under the CC plates to get it not to rub. This took the longest, I would then lower the car with tires on and do it all over again. Know i dont have hardly any noise. Every once in a while i will go over a big pump and it will make a little noise. This is my second K-member and my first one on my fox 5.0 did the same thing, lots of noise.

Users who are viewing this thread