UPR triple hook quadrant / firewall adjuster installed.

Andorion

ÆNIMAL
Established Member
Works like a charm!

Before the install, with my stock quadrant, without adjustment, my clutch pedal was floppy and pretty far down, and wouldn't fully disengage the clutch unless i pushed it HARD into the floor. After adjusting it it was stiffer and higher up, but I needed to re-adjust it almost daily.

Now, the cable is taunt (pedal is stiff) and the clutch fully dis-engages about 1/3 of the way down, so it's MUCH easier to shift gears (especially fast.)

Definitely a worthwhile investment!!!

~Berj

03DOHC

Established Member
Sounds like a good mod. Maybe after I get some warranty work done I will do it over the winter.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Every time I read a post like Andorion's I remind myself that I have to do that mod. Thanks for the reminder!!! :beer:

predator

Established Member
Originally posted by Derek@AmazonRacing
very easy takes 10-15 minutes hardest part is getting under the dash. working under there is easy just getting under there is hard! :beer:

Derek is right! Best mod I ever did.....what a difference in clutch engagement and shifting. I had no idea how to do the install when I started, but I still could have had it done in under an hour if I had not decided to fabricate a couple of bushings. My preference. Really....a must do mod! :beer:

trey193

Established Member
Where is everyone setting their clutch to engage, I have turned mine both ways and it feels like to me it engages in about the same place and doesnt change much, and I dont want to be messing anything up as Eric was saying about the TOB, but what a difference it made in powershifting my car! Thumbs up to it for that alone!

predator

Established Member
I turned my adjuster out....it seemed a long way.....to get my clutch pedal to engage about 1-2 inches from the top. Big difference when it used to be on the floor! An adjustable cable might take some of that back in, but I decided to use the stock cable and my three hook quadrant "hookin" on #2 hook. No problems since! :beer:

Edit - I must give some honorable mention to Broke7 for his coaching before I did mine. :rockon:

Last edited:

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
I'm lost. Haven't a clue about what a "triple hook quadrant" is. I'm confident it is related to the clutch and that the firewall adjuster has something to do with the clutch cable? Any pictorial threads with lots of good info you guys can refer me to? I'm figuring on replacing the 1/2 shafts with after market high performance ones....then if the rear end holds, I figure is will be time for the clutch and company.

SStupid

Established Member
Ford craftsmanship

The original Ford setup is cheesy with that plastic lever-arm. What a hunk of junk. I've had a lot of TOB issues, so I can't replace mine until that is all ironed out. It's the first thing on my list when the warranty is up.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I have found that it's easier if you remove the driver's seat. Then you can lay flat on your back and work up under the dash.

I agree with 94SVT Coupe, you need some free play at the top of the pedal, although I use 1/4 - 1/2" free travel as my starting point.

Also, my favorite is the UPR Extreme Firewall Adjuster.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Thanks!!!

Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Clear as mud?

Fantastic info. I really appreciate your efforts to educate me! I have few more questions if you don't mind answering them:

Why 3 hooks? Is that just to accomodate different cable legnths, or is there a difference in the distance from the pivot point to the hook point on each?

What and why does changing the Quadrant help? Does it increase the length of cable travel per inch of pedal movement? If so, that would seem to explain the quicker shifting, but doesn't that result in having to apply more force to push the clutch pedal in?

What and why does changing the adjuster help?

Rick@Amazon

SVT God
Established Member
The three hooks really help in getting the firewall adjuster in the middle of it's adjustable range. As you said it also will accomindate different cars and cable lengths. The extreme by UPR is the only adjuster we sell and install. It's the best on the market right now. Half of the stock units never self adjust properly or the plastic teeth are worn. With the torque of these cars and the stock quadrent i I feel it's the main cause of clutches failing in these cars.

Rick

predator

Established Member
The stock units have very limited adjustability......and like Rick said they wear quickly. I have heard of a couple people actually breaking their stock quadrant in extreme situations. Check out the UPR web site for a pic of their "triple" hook quadrant.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Ordered!!!

Ok....I called UPR and ordered the 3 hook quad & adjuster. And dang it, I just couldn't help myself. I ordered their shifter too.:rolling:

Snake40

Established Member
I just had the UPR cable, quadrant, and firewall adjuster installed.
All I can say is wow. It stopped my hard to shift spells after
a hard run. Clutch seems smoother if that makes sense.
But before I left the shop the throwout bearing squeeled for the
first time, Dont wait as long as I did to get the UPR stuff.
1st run car (6/03) only 4400 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread