UPR quadrant/firewall adjuster??

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
For those of you using the UPR quad and firewall adjuster with the stock cable, what hook are you using? I just installed mine last night and the 3rd hook (ie farthest from firewall) was a bit tight so I tried the middle but found I had to crank firewall adjsuter WAY out or pedal would kind of flop. I then pulled it and moved it back to the 3rd and it was a bit hard to get on but pedal release is so high im worried there may be pressure on pressure plate and I dont want to burn a clutch. How is everyone setting theirs up??

stang99

Middle hook, but, I also have the adjustable cable so it is easy to get things right. It sounds as if you do not have the adjustable cable, so it may be more difficult in your case. My pedal is nice and high but it has some freeplay still.

Originally posted by Shadowgray03
For those of you using the UPR quad and firewall adjuster with the stock cable, what hook are you using? I just installed mine last night and the 3rd hook (ie farthest from firewall) was a bit tight so I tried the middle but found I had to crank firewall adjsuter WAY out or pedal would kind of flop. I then pulled it and moved it back to the 3rd and it was a bit hard to get on but pedal release is so high im worried there may be pressure on pressure plate and I dont want to burn a clutch. How is everyone setting theirs up??

trey193

Established Member
Broke7 installed my Quadrant while I installed the Firewall Adj. he put the 3 hook quad. on the middle and we have my pedal up towards the top for easy powershifting, what a difference !!!:)

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Re: Re: UPR quadrant/firewall adjuster??

Originally posted by Tetge
Middle hook, but, I also have the adjustable cable so it is easy to get things right. It sounds as if you do not have the adjustable cable, so it may be more difficult in your case. My pedal is nice and high but it has some freeplay still.
Did you get the UPR cable as well? Im gonna move ti back tothe middle hook tonight and putz around with it a bit more.

stang99

Re: Re: Re: UPR quadrant/firewall adjuster??

Yes, the UPR Extreme cable that adjusts at the tranny. Some say that this cable is weaker than the stock cable. It appears to be OK to the eye but only time will tell. In any case, because it adjusts at the tranny, it makes it possible to get things right at the quadrant and at the firewall.

Did you get the UPR cable as well? Im gonna move ti back tothe middle hook tonight and putz around with it a bit more.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
I Love my UPR Quadrant & Firewall Adjuster. Bad thing is that i was used to the stock feel :(.

Pretty cool to just turn the knob on the Firewal to adjust when the clutch engages or doesnt.

Cant go wrong with the UPR Price......i was lazy so let my shop do it for me for 160.00 parts & installation.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
I Love my UPR Quadrant & Firewall Adjuster. Bad thing is that i was used to the stock feel :(.

Pretty cool to just turn the knob on the Firewal to adjust when the clutch engages or doesnt.

Cant go wrong with the UPR Price......i was lazy so let my shop do it for me for 160.00 parts & installation.
hehe, well your a lot of help! hehe, guess that means ya dont know which hook your on :)

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
hehe, well your a lot of help! hehe, guess that means ya dont know which hook your on :)

:dw: Ya i do Larry. Its called im hooked on spending all my money on my car :p

Im sure its in the middle. Its a hard spot to check into bro....yeah i know the short jokes are coming. I'll check it out when i go home :D Its really worth it bro :thumbsup:

Tetge is the man who made us see the light here in Cali :beer:

stang99

I also had my shop install the quadrant, although I asked for the details about which hook was involved. Actually, the shop propriator can loosen the cable and move the cable from hook to hook on the quadrant in his sleep. I am too fat to do any work under the dash of the car, but I observed exactly how to adjust the cable in the event that I have to do so some day in an emergency. Even in an emergency, I would try to direct/instruct someone else on how to do the quadrant stuff since it is hidden up there above the gas pedal in the dark and in a hard to reach location. Being smaller seems to have a distinct advantage when it comes to doing most automobile mechanical work.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Its definatly the job for a small or contortionist type person. I moved the seat all the way back, slithered in on my back with a small mag light and actually had quad off in just a couple minutes. I had no problems with the install, im just worried I dont have enough play and why I was asking how others had their set. Overall I had a very productive day, I changed oil in the cobra, installed quad/adjuester and changed the oil in my supercrew, pulled the ATI on it and changed its oil as well....all without f'nheimer :), which for me was damn good.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Go middle hook, and screw the adjuster way out. Use it like that for a while. Once you've worn it some, you can screw it all the way in and go to the third hook w/o it being too tight. That's what I did.

stang99

FYI, the seat is very easy to take out completely. There is an electrical connection and four bolts. You have to remove it to do a drive shaft loop, although you don't need to take the carpet out. It gives almost enough room for me to work under the dash, but, I still have problems fitting in there. I suggest the adjustable cable so that you can get everything exactly the way you want it. You can carry the current cable as a spare in case you go on a road trip.

Its definatly the job for a small or contortionist type person. I moved the seat all the way back, slithered in on my back with a small mag light and actually had quad off in just a couple minutes. I had no problems with the install, im just worried I dont have enough play and why I was asking how others had their set. Overall I had a very productive day, I changed oil in the cobra, installed quad/adjuester and changed the oil in my supercrew, pulled the ATI on it and changed its oil as well....all without f'nheimer :), which for me was damn good.

Last edited by a moderator:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
About how long was the entire installation process? Taking a look at the instruction set for the FRPP Quadrant & Linkage Kit #M-7553-D302. Seems simple enough...

Last edited:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by ox03
About how long was the entire installation process? Taking look at the instruction set for the FRPP Quadrant & Linkage Kit #M-7553-D302. Seems simple enough...
Having never done it it took me a bit longer cause I didnt want to trash something I may need. Now, having done one I could do the next in probably less than 20 minutes.

The qud itself is above the gas pedal. There are two shafts that it attaches to. The factory main quad has a spring on it and a hook which goes over another spring loaded white plastic cam on a bar closer to firewall. Both the stock quad and the second smaller cam/spring need to be removed.

In engine bay, remove 2x screws holding in cable. The cable end is too large to pull through plastic grommet so you have to cut it off. Then(for the UPR unit anyways) pry off the large rubber grommet from end of cable. Insert sleeve and Slide cable through adjuster, put adjuster into firewall and attach with a screw. The screw supplied was huge so I used a stock screw and it worked fine. Crawl back in car and slide quad over the 2 posts you removed the factory quad and cam from, put cable on desired hook and then adjust firewall adjuster for proper pedal feel.

A small mag light and a very small needle nose pleirs come in handy working under dash. There is a small pin through each post that needs to be pulled out and a standard needle nose it too large to get uo in there.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I use the middle hook, and mine is adjusted kinda far out but I have alot of room left, the small slack at the top doesnt bother me, its gonna do that regardless, because the factory springs arent on there anymore.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by broke7
I use the middle hook, and mine is adjusted kinda far out but I have alot of room left, the small slack at the top doesnt bother me, its gonna do that regardless, because the factory springs arent on there anymore.
Thanks Broke, that sounds exactly how mine was when I had it on the middle. I will be moving it back tonight, thanks for everyones input.

Wild Bill

Established Member
I have that on order.Is it worth it? How does the clutch feel compared to stock?What are the advantages?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Wild Bill
I have that on order.Is it worth it? How does the clutch feel compared to stock?What are the advantages?
The pedal is a tad loose at the top end because the stock quad has springs onit to keep pedal firm even when not pulling onthe clutch. Aside from that the clutch releases much faster and at mid to upper pedal instead of when mashed to floor.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member

Hehe. Just went under the car & im small kid BTW (tight fit). Its in the middle as well :burnout:

:beer: So i guess its the middle for every one here that posted :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread