Upper Only vs. Lower Only

YellowCobra04

Established Member
I was given a Metco 6# lower pulley by one of my friends. What kind of difference in HP/TQ number will I see between a 2.8 upper only vs. a lower pulley pushing the same amount of boost? I have always heard that a lower pulley will produce more torque then a upper.

Has anyone tried this set up, and what kind of number did you get?

Will the 6# pulley it came with give me the same boost as a 2.8 pulley or do I need to order a different size.

Fat-cat

Established Member
For some reason people seem to see more tq gains out of a lower than the upper but pretty similar HP gains. either way is great to make power.

YellowCobra04

Established Member
get a posi race port and run a upper and the lower:)

I would love to get my blower ported, but I'm in college right now so money is tight for me. I hope to port it next summer when I get an internship and have a little more spare money.

So for right now I am just going to do a pulley for now.

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
I would love to get my blower ported, but I'm in college right now so money is tight for me. I hope to port it next summer when I get an internship and have a little more spare money.

So for right now I am just going to do a pulley for now.

ok then do the upper but dont forget you will need a tune aswell

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Boost for boost and blower rpm for blower rpm you shouldn't see any difference. If budget is your concern then go with the upper.

YellowCobra04

Established Member
Boost for boost and blower rpm for blower rpm you shouldn't see any difference. If budget is your concern then go with the upper.

I am going with a lower only because it was given to me. In also thought it would be a little different to have a stock pulley and a 6# lower. It will look stock till they see and hear me blow by them. :burnout:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I am going with a lower only because it was given to me. In also thought it would be a little different to have a stock pulley and a 6# lower. It will look stock till they see and hear me blow by them. :burnout:

Ah hell I barely read your original post! :bash: If you already have the 6lb lower then go for it, install is more of a pia but you'll like it.

03COBRA-88

Established Member
Also what kinda of upper pulley can you run without porting the blower?

03COBRA-88

Established Member
Wouldn't I be able to run a 3.1 upper and 6lb lower with a good tune without porting the blower? Sorry for the threadjack.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Wouldn't I be able to run a 3.1 upper and 6lb lower with a good tune without porting the blower? Sorry for the threadjack.

Yes, that's about the same blower rpms as the 2.93/4lb combo. You can spin it as hard as you want provided you have enough fuel and watch the temps.

hmbsvt

Established Member
i went with 2.7 upper an its not looking to good it almost seems like its spinning to much an like bogging..... HELP!!!!!!!

03COBRA-88

Established Member
Talked to a tuner today and he said just to leave the car with the 6lb lower only. If I were to add a 3.1 he said after about 4800 rpms the car wouldn't make any more power.

Users who are viewing this thread