Upgrading SYNC to the new SYNC 3?

Helmet

Established Member
I ordered my GT350 with the track pack because I wanted the Recaro seats Not the leather seats but the Track Pack only comes with SYNC and not SYNC 3, I am hoping that I will be able to order the SYNC 3 later. Anyone else planning on doing the same?

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
I don't think it will be possible. I guess we'll see soon enough.
Yeah - don't know that the hardware will support it. Microsoft isn't know for their open architecture, and Sync3 kicked them to the curb for a Blackberry OS. My guess is that if it's possible you'd seen lots of stories on doing it - and I've not seen any (well, not that I've looked _that_ hard)

I am still saddened that Ford chose to go with yet another propriety format, rather than going to Android/CarPlay, which has eclipsed all others in terms of feature development over time. But folks seem to like Sync3 - at least far more than Sync/MyFord Touch......

Helmet

Established Member
Yeah - don't know that the hardware will support it. Microsoft isn't know for their open architecture, and Sync3 kicked them to the curb for a Blackberry OS. My guess is that if it's possible you'd seen lots of stories on doing it - and I've not seen any (well, not that I've looked _that_ hard)

I am still saddened that Ford chose to go with yet another propriety format, rather than going to Android/CarPlay, which has eclipsed all others in terms of feature development over time. But folks seem to like Sync3 - at least far more than Sync/MyFord Touch......

Starting with MY16, If you order the Tech pack you get SYNC 3 though

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
Starting with MY16, If you order the Tech pack you get SYNC 3 though
Yeah - I'm sort of surprised that Ford is maintaining multiple packages now as it's kind of counter to their overall option strategy. I figure - they're either using the superior function of Sync3 to push folks into spending the (excessive) cash for the option package that includes it, or they have lingering obligations with Microsoft that keeps them selling Sync. Or just a warehouse full of old Sync headunits.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
There's a lot of hardware changes for the new system. All these new electronics are so integrated into the vehicle that it's extremely difficult for the home mechanic to add them individually to their car.

Users who are viewing this thread