upgrading speakers

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
That's pretty much all internet forums. Some people provide good info, some bad, some a bit of both, and some people criticize without providing any useful info at all.

Honestly IMO, probably time to step back and reevaluate your end goals. If you're primarily listening to radio and AD/DA DA/AD AD/DA DA/AD :) converted music then I'd probably just stick with your plan on installing everything in the doors with the adapter for now. Your listed musical tastes aren't really bass-heavy so probably no real need for elaborate subs. Maybe down the road replace your deck speakers with some free-air subs and any decent amp.

High end car audio is a slippery slope and can take a large time and money investment. Just doesn't seem like your intended goals to me.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
That's pretty much all internet forums. Some people provide good info, some bad, some a bit of both, and some people criticize without providing any useful info at all.

Honestly IMO, probably time to step back and reevaluate your end goals. If you're primarily listening to radio and AD/DA DA/AD AD/DA DA/AD :) converted music then I'd probably just stick with your plan on installing everything in the doors with the adapter for now. Your listed musical tastes aren't really bass-heavy so probably no real need for elaborate subs. Maybe down the road replace your deck speakers with some free-air subs and any decent amp.

High end car audio is a slippery slope and can take a large time and money investment. Just doesn't seem like your intended goals to me.

Couldn't agree more. Just don't think he'll be able to fit the tweeters on the adapter with a 6 1/2 which is why I said to just put them on the a pillars.

acrbill

Established Member
I got everything except for the adapters and those should be in tomorrow. I pulled the door panel off and held the speaker up to the hole and there is no way the tweeter will fit so I will go ahead and install them in the A-pillar.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Also with a 6.5" woofer you cannot fit the tweeter next to it without modifications.

I got everything except for the adapters and those should be in tomorrow. I pulled the door panel off and held the speaker up to the hole and there is no way the tweeter will fit so I will go ahead and install them in the A-pillar.

Yup.

acrbill

Established Member
OK how in the world do you get wire though the door grommet? This may be a deal breaker and I will just stick them in the door panel.

Last edited:

acrbill

Established Member
Not sure why I was concerned about putting the tweeters in the door. They look fine. I was messing around with my remote start install today so I only got one door done. I will say that the size of the speakers that I bought were a touch too large. They are advertised as 6.75. There is a bit of interference between the edge of the speaker and the plastic duct that goes from edge of the door to the top.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
OK how in the world do you get wire though the door grommet? This may be a deal breaker and I will just stick them in the door panel.

You slide the boot back, pull the plastic connector out as far as you can and unclip it. Once its in two pieces you just feed the speaker wire through and clip it back.

acrbill

Established Member
I was just looking at my tweeters today and realized I never posted finished pics or a review.

The sound is definitely improved over the stock speakers. Its nice to be able to turn up the volume without worrying about the sound getting distorted. Adjusting the tweeter aim is noticeable which surprised me.

The tweeters look fine installed in the door grill area. Most people would never notice.

Here are some installed pics. The camera flash makes the plastics look considerably different than they actually appear.

tw1.jpg

tw2.jpg

acrbill

Established Member
Do speakers have a break in period or something? They seem to be sounding better then they did when I first installed them.

kingnut

Established Member
Yeah they have a break in period. Alot of guys will leave them on for 24 hrs at 50% max volume after the install to break them in. I usually do it for atleast a few hours after install with my subs, highs, and mids.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, all speakers have a break in period. As do most speaker wires, rca's etc. Glad to hear you're enjoying the setup, looks good.

jas11151990

Established Member
So if I wanted bass that the mach/shaker system had what would I need all together? I have the base 4 speaker system now and would like to keep the stock dash and not have a sub.

Tispho

Established Member
So if I wanted bass that the mach/shaker system had what would I need all together? I have the base 4 speaker system now and would like to keep the stock dash and not have a sub.

You need to buy

-Pac Aoem-Frd24 line output converter, this allows you to have some RCA outputs from the factory headunit
- Subwoofer
- Amplifier to match the subwoofer
- Wiring kit that matches your amplifiers power from street wires or other quality company. Don't skimp on cables.

This is the cheapest way to do it, It will allow you to add a subwoofer and continue to run the factory base speakers as they were before. To get better quality, you can just replace the speakers, they will run off the factory head unit.

For a true aftermarket setup, you should rerun all cables and run everything off an amplifier. Component speakers truly shine when they are amplified properly.

Last edited:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
You would get better bass by just investing in something like a Stealthbox in the trunk and a decent amp. I have the Shaker 1000 setup and it's ok but nothing like a proper aftermarket setup. The factory uses cheap amps with dual voil coil, low ohm speakers to keep costs down.

You could upgrade to the premium door panels and associated subs down the road but I wouldn't recommend it as a first step.

Last edited:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
A properly designed subwoofer setup will be omni-directional so it doesn't much matter that it's in the truck. If you cross over at 120hz and run 1000 watts through it at all times then it will be rear-biased regardless of what you put up front:)

Problem with the stock door setup is that the 1.2 ohm speaker and amp setup need to be replaced for any real affect. Plus the grills and chrome surround are an integral part of the speaker setup making it difficult to upgrade easily. The stock 6x8's are big enough to reproduce acceptable mid-bass frequencies for most peoples liking IMO.

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
i would replace the 6x8's with 5.25 or 6.5 components. they will match up better with the front speakers and IMO produce a better quality of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread