upgrading speakers

kingnut

Established Member
with a good quality component system. theres no need to mount the tweeters high in the cabin. but its all personal preference. i prefer the MB Quart Components where the tweeter mounts to the mid [ame=http://www.amazon.com/MB-Quart-PVI216-Component-Convertible/dp/B001B05ODG]Amazon.com: MB Quart Premium PVI216 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component/Convertible Coaxial Speakers: Car Electronics[/ame]

you will need an amp for these. i have 4 of these and they sound AMAZING! they handle a TON of power and tweeters are phenomenal.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
My shaker 500 sounds amazing....i do not know what you are talking about. :bored:

If you are serious about sound and really want an upgrade over stock, replace stock speakers with infinity kappas and run them off an aftermarket amp. They offer loud crisp clear sound. powered by an after market amp, you can customize the sound to your liking without having to change out the factory HU
If you enjoy lows, you can pick up a sub.
I would suggest a 10" /12" RE sex.
They sound amazing in sealed or ported applications.

This made me :lol1:

Infinity kappas are so harsh its not even funny. Also the new china made RE stuff isn't that grade. The older stuff is what you want. I'd recommend a Sundown SA10 over a sex any day.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
with a good quality component system. theres no need to mount the tweeters high in the cabin. but its all personal preference. i prefer the MB Quart Components where the tweeter mounts to the mid Amazon.com: MB Quart Premium PVI216 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component/Convertible Coaxial Speakers: Car Electronics

you will need an amp for these. i have 4 of these and they sound AMAZING! they handle a TON of power and tweeters are phenomenal.

Actually you are wrong. The a higher quality component set doesn't necessarily mean you can mount something lower. There are a lot more factors that play a role in the location of speakers. I also don't recommend mounting the tweeter on the mid with a component set. You're basically defeating the purpose of having a component set in the first place.

acrbill

Established Member
That would be incorrect. It may be easier in some cases but not the best bet. Also with a 6.5" woofer you cannot fit the tweeter next to it without modifications.

I was speaking to reviews from the speakers that I bought. They are not a real component set with a crossover, its basically a divorced coaxial setup so there is no adjustment besides moving the tweeter around. I went this route because I heard that some 6.5s get set off the door too far because of the adapter and the coax tweeter may interfere with the door panel.

Looking at the picture of the adapter I bought it looks like the hole is offset so there may be enough room for the tweeter. If not I will figure some way of getting them mounted in the door.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Infinity kappas are so harsh its not even funny. Also the new china made RE stuff isn't that grade.

Sadly, this is true. I used to compete in IASCA event back in the 90's with Kappa stuff and did very well. None of the newer stuff seems to sound good. I originally had Kappa's in my truck and quickly took them out and went with Diamond components. And even there new stuff is getting worse.:??:

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
I was speaking to reviews from the speakers that I bought. They are not a real component set with a crossover, its basically a divorced coaxial setup so there is no adjustment besides moving the tweeter around. I went this route because I heard that some 6.5s get set off the door too far because of the adapter and the coax tweeter may interfere with the door panel.

Looking at the picture of the adapter I bought it looks like the hole is offset so there may be enough room for the tweeter. If not I will figure some way of getting them mounted in the door.

The set you bought is a normal component set. It just doesn't have as sophisticated crossovers as other may have. From my experience with this car I don't see it being a good idea to try and squeeze the tweeter on the bracket with the mid. Output is going to be blocked a lot. If the tweeters come with top mount cups just put those on the pillars. The average person wont notice the imaging difference.

Sadly, this is true. I used to compete in IASCA event back in the 90's with Kappa stuff and did very well. None of the newer stuff seems to sound good. I originally had Kappa's in my truck and quickly took them out and went with Diamond components. And even there new stuff is getting worse.:??:

Unfortunately the quality a lot of mainstream companies is getting worse. But on the flip side some really old companies are starting to put out good stuff again. I've heard sony is turning things around and reverting back to their high quality stuff back in the day.

acrbill

Established Member
I am just hoping that it improves the sound quality to a reasonable level. I have the base stereo in my Expedition and I put an Pioneer Avic D3 and that alone made the system sound ten times better. That is not an option for me since I want to keep the Sync and am not willing to spend the kind of cash it will take to keep it with an aftermarket setup.

Hopefully all my stuff gets here by Friday so I can work on it over the weekend.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
I am just hoping that it improves the sound quality to a reasonable level. I have the base stereo in my Expedition and I put an Pioneer Avic D3 and that alone made the system sound ten times better. That is not an option for me since I want to keep the Sync and am not willing to spend the kind of cash it will take to keep it with an aftermarket setup.

Hopefully all my stuff gets here by Friday so I can work on it over the weekend.

Well thats the thing. You can most likely expect better sound from the set you bought but you need to consider that its 90% install 10% equipment.

acrbill

Established Member
Yeah thats just the thing. The reviews I read about these specific speakers said they sound bad mounted too far forward. Of course everyone has different cars so it is hard to say who is correct. I suppose I will sit in the garage and play around with tweeter locations and see how it shakes out.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Yeah thats just the thing. The reviews I read about these specific speakers said they sound bad mounted too far forward. Of course everyone has different cars so it is hard to say who is correct. I suppose I will sit in the garage and play around with tweeter locations and see how it shakes out.

You really have to take reviews with a grain of salt because not only because people have different vehicles but also different listening taste, install, and processing. Grab some velcro or 3m tape to help you play with tweeter locations. When you get to a spot that you think you like attach the tweeter with the velcro or 3m and ride around with it there for a day or so.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I've heard sony is turning things around and reverting back to their high quality stuff back in the day

I'm skeptical on that one but really hope so. They had some really good head units and amps back in the heyday. I still have a old ES CDX900 and some of there amps and crossovers. But I haven't seem anything good in recent times. They didn't even develop an SACD capable head unit and it's their damn technology. But that's Sony, start with a good idea (or steal it) and let the marketing department screw it all up.

I also have one of there TAN90ES home amps and SSX90ED speakers. That's what was available when Sony really cared about quality.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
You really have to take reviews with a grain of salt because not only because people have different vehicles but also different listening taste, install, and processing

Absolutely. Also, use a couple of good reference CD's and preferably not something that was burned from MP3's:)

acrbill

Established Member
Well my music is either direct from the radio or bluetoothed pandora from my phone. My musical tastes are all over the map from stuff like Girl Talk to Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
My musical tastes are all over the map from stuff like Girl Talk to Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton

That's perfect, you can buy the Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton - A Christmas to Remember. That should make a great ref CD:D

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Well my music is either direct from the radio or bluetoothed pandora from my phone. My musical tastes are all over the map from stuff like Girl Talk to Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton.

Gotta laugh at the bluetoothed pandora. That's like taking a cd, ripping it to mp3, burning it back to cd, ripping it back to mp3, then burning it back to cd. Get a good quality cd from somewhere to do your testing with.

acrbill

Established Member
So what is the good and bad info? Hopefully my items arrive tomorrow so I can get this and my remote start buttoned up on the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread