Upgraded the crappy front speakers (pics inside)

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
Gang--

Last weekend, I installed a set of Clarion ProAudio speakers in the doors of my Lightning. The factory speakers suck, this we all know.

Comparison:
speakers1.jpg

The Clarions bolted right in, no fuss at all. I simply cut the factory terminals and soldered on some female spade terminals. Easy.

speakers2.jpg

The door panels come off surprisingly easy on our trucks. Two screws, and they lift right off.

Impressions:
The Clarions definitely sharpen up the highs, mids, and even the bass. The sound is just more 'full', if you know what I'm saying.

However... I still need just a tinch more bass in the truck. Not ghetto-thumping bass, just nice, clean lows.

So, a Clarion powered 7" subwoofer (with built-in crossovers) is on the way this week. It is thin enough that it should fit under the seat or behind it, either way.

Hopefully, this will add the punch it needs down low without going over the edge. My goal was to upgrade the sound system without resorting to buying a new deck/changer/amp combo.

First of all, this is why we need a car audio forum.

Second, a simple speaker upgrade is about a blow away. Most people don't realize, but that's about as bag for the buck as a FTVB or chip/pulley.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I put in some JL audio 6x9s, two 12 inch JL subs (one behind each seat), and bolted a JL 200 watt amp beneath the driver's seat. I put in a JVC touchscreen receiver, too. The sound is miles better than factory and all cost under $2k.

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
Exactly, Ryan. :)

Sharkbite--
And that's exactly why I didn't go all-out and spend $1-2k on stereo stuff: I'm just not 'in' to it that much. All I want is sound that is a little bit better than the stock system, nothing more. Swapping speakers is a HUGE improvement over the stockers, and I feel this 7" subwoofer will polish it off to a level I'm happy with.

To each their own.

-GP-

Tonka Toy

Established Member
Did you amp those front speakers or just install them? In my experience, factory head units are crap for pushing aftermarket speakers. But I could be wrong.

begone

Established Member
Just to give you a heads up that 7" will be fine, however if you can afford to have your box custom built it will do wonders to the sound. I just put new door speakers (component Focals) and a JL 8" sub with a amp pushing all of it. But man will that 8" kick! I've never, ever, heard an 8" hit so hard, I swear it sounds like 2 10's. This guy in Mesquite, TX is a miracle worker when it comes to boxes. So moral of the story - get a custom box!

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
I have no need for multiple subwoofers, nor do I want to tear the factory deck and changer apart in order to install an amp and all that.

Just looking for a little bit better than stock. Thanks for the tips, guys!

-GP-

team23jordan

Subaru Legacy GT
Established Member
what size speaker do you need for doors and the ones behind teh seats??

door-6x9?

Rainman15

Petey RIP 04/29/05
Established Member
Originally posted by sharkbite1979
I put in some JL audio 6x9s, two 12 inch JL subs (one behind each seat), and bolted a JL 200 watt amp beneath the driver's seat. I put in a JVC touchscreen receiver, too. The sound is miles better than factory and all cost under $2k.
I hear the glove box is an excellent place to put the kitchen sink while you're are at it.
:thumbsup:
My old lady thought I was nuckin futz when I put the DVD in my L, but when we took our last trip in it she finally came around and admitted it was pretty cool. I just need to come up with a more creative way of mounting my front tweeters. They are hid behind the door skin which kills my highs up front.
617186_45_full.jpg

Since it is supposed to rain all day tomorrow I guess I'll work on them then.
Here is the DVD.
617186_49_full.jpg

617186_46_full.jpg

617186_48_full.jpg

Last edited:

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
I installed Rockford 3ways in my doors..i got them from Crutchfield for like 40 bucks....normally 129..they were last years models at the time. I then went on ebay and purchased a MTX Thunder8k 10in sub..it was blem because it had to much glue on the lip around the surrond...still plays great.Powering the sub which is in a Qlogic box is a Orion 250HCCAr which is bridged and pounds the sub pretty...better than i thought it would sound. Lots of people think i have 12in subs and kinda ct surprised when they see its one 10in. I left the head unit and rear speakers stock for now. 40 for front speakers..90 for box....85 for sub and i had the amp......a great deal as far as I am concerned and i get comments on it.

Users who are viewing this thread