Upgrade motor or buy new

zPipes

Established Member
So just lookin for some ideas here. Id like to get a set of cams, and I was told just getting a set of 03/04 heads would work on top of that. Im not looking to go forced air at this time, just pump up the volume a little bit. My buddy just put a 500 hp motor in his trans am, think he put about 5k on that?

Was it NASVT that did the custom cam work? Anyone have some decent suggestions. Right now the motor is pretty much stock with the exception of the intake and exhaust.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You can also contact Bullet Cams. They were who I was going to use when I was looking at custom cams.

Unless you're pulling the engine apart I wouldn't bother with swapping heads. To be honest I wouldn't even bother with the cams. Maybe a ported intake instead with a shot a nitrous.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Cams longtubes short runner and you may crack mid to upper 300's at the tire. These cars respond much better to a blower. If you just want something fun find a used vortech kit. Will be cheaper and offer more power.

shurur

Established Member
Nasvt does have custom cams that are a better deal than comp cams
Your RPM range will determine the cam you need.

I don't believe the 03 -04 heads flow significantly more than other C heads or offer better hp.
96-01 cobra cams are better than 03'04 terminator and mach cams.

A short runner will cost you $800-1000+ to get done, but you need it to make the most out of cams...otherwise probably mid 300 as nightmare stated above

This is for a daily driver
NASVT "recipe"
NASVT fixed!!!
General consensus for NA ~320 RWHP with 99-01 DOHC C-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydroboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

360-370 RWHP:
106060 comp cams properly degreed.
short runner
Tune

Last edited:

zPipes

Established Member
I was hoping to stay NA, but its always more expensive than adding FI. Looks like cams and short runner vs. blower. First would be roughly 2500 installed, net about 375 rwhp. Second would be blower, probably 4k installed if I find some deals, but 4-450rwhp. Decisions decisions, cam lope does sound mean as hell tho.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Just do the Vortech/Procharger route. I did it all with fuel pump/injectors/BAP, dyno tune, intercooler and MAF for under $4k. It made 456/390 at 6.8 lbs of boost in a 96 degree shop.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Don't forget that when you want more power (and you will) you can upgrade the shortblock and add some boost.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

zPipes

Established Member
I just don't want to push it to where I need to start dropping forged internals in. If I recall, we're pretty good until about 450 right?

RX1Cobra

Established Member
That's the supposed safe limit but anything can happen. I wouldn't go around thinking you can beat the piss out of the car for years at that level and never have a problem. But if you're reasonable to the car it should last but you never know.

Mine's Eaton swapped. Did it for under 3K and that includes the 03 tank. I did the install (but paid to have it tuned) and it's really easy. Not much more than an intake swap.

My car makes 440/390 on a safe tune with the stock pulley. I went with the Eaton for the instant power and because its Ford parts figured everything would fit perfect. In the future I'll probably forge the motor and throw a TVS on it. But it's a fun car for now.

Bottom line think you're better off supercharging it and not going nuts with boost. Then when you're ready some new rods and pistons and make big power.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
I mean, for $5k I think you can buy a 500hp crate motor cant you lol?
No. the large ticket items are only part of the price. When you see "shortblock" for 3-4k you'll beyond double that with little stuff to install it.

Just like cams, the average cost of cams is 1200-1300, but you'll need a large amount of items to install them and accompany them that can easily creep past 500-600 bucks and with new springs over 1k.

The heads on my car were over 5k alone.

Users who are viewing this thread