Update on tires wanted

rmoreau

Established Member
Hi all,

About 2-3 weeks ago a bunch of folks were posting about the tires they replaced the stock with. Alot of them were on AFS 18x10.5 wheels in the rear.

Ms Kwik and Poisonous Mods both went with Kumho's, Racerat used the new Goodyear F1's. I think some even had goodyear Supercar's in 315/40/18 on.

Now that you've had them on for a while, how are they performing?

Thank you,

Randy

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I got the Eagle F1 GS-D3's.
I honestly haven't driven the car very hard this last week and I haven't driven it in the rain yet.
Traction is a huge issue right now and it doesn't have a whole lot to do with the tires.
I don't hear any additional road noise, but then again I never heard any before because the MAC exhaust overpowers everything.
I can tell you the tread pattern leaves a real pretty design when you tear out of the work parking lot.

Sorry Randy, hope someone else gives you better feed back. :shrug:

Bingo13

Established Member
Randy,

I can give a few impressions on several tires in a couple of days. I just had a set of Nitto RII and DRs installed but need to get some driving time on them once my car is repaired. I have used the Pilot Sports, AVS Sports, GS-D3, BFG KD, and a couple of others on this car in both 17" and 18" wheel configurations.

Short story is (IMHO)-

18"- Best Street Performance Bang for the buck- Kumho MX (near KD/S-03 in most areas at 30~45% less cost)

17"- Best Overall Daily Street Tire (wet-dry performance/comfort)- Goodyear GS-D3

17/18"- Best Performance Tire- BFG KD (non-R compound, very harsh tire for the daily commute and the rain performance was skittish at best but do they stick)

Favorite Tire- Yoko AVS Sport (jack of all trades, master of none though, subjective view only)

Most disappointing- Pilot Sports (loved them on my M3 but after trying the Bridgestone S-03 and driving a Kumho MX shod car they are not worth the money and perform worse)

I will PM more details once the Nittos are broken in along with more comments.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
RaceRat....of course for u its an issue ;-)

Rmoreau...been to the track & it hasnt hurt thus far in the number game down the 1/4. Last time out the track was better then the 1st time id been there. Cant complain.....no wheel hop & not seeing any un-even wear.

Gots to be careful....when ur parking :bash: hit the curb on the passanger side rear rim :bash: some thing told me not to park on that spot :bash: Gots to live with it guess...tires are not bulging like the stock F1's :bash:

Im happy for the price :) :bash:

jonas

Established Member
yea be sure they are gold feelers dogg!!!
gotsa hook up the 108 spoke 24k gold plated daytons on some sick hydro setup. spank em with three wheels on the ground

after you beat em you can dance your ride and hop on em and crush em

:bash:

ok this is gtting stupid :xpl:

lethal

Established Member
I'd also like to ask this question, yes, its been asked before, and many, many, many posts seem to be around. I've decided (I think) to get a set of AFS chromies for the front (18x9) and rears (18x10.5) and I thought I wanted to get Nitto's (555, no DR). Well, should I, what should be done with the suspension?

If this is inappropriate for this discussion, I'll just post a new thread, but I'd rather just tap of the crowd that will look into this thread, thanks.

Oh, I'll be keeping the 17" sotckers for the track -- the 18"'s will be for daily use.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
You asked for opinions, so here's mine. I'm sure it will be disputed.

Pro's of 18's:
They look good and fill up the fenderwell a lot better.

Cons:
The wheels & tires are heavier...this car does not need more weight.
Tires are more expensive, fewer choices available.

I read that SVT tested the Terminator with 18's and chose not to go with them because the car didn't perform as well. Not sure if that's true and I don't know the details, but I know I read it somewhere.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
AFS polished 17x9 w/275/40 up front, 17 x 10.5 w/285/40 on back.

Still trying to decide on springs.

rim1.jpg

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Racerat has a good point on the Pro's & Con's.

I have to go back to my stock rims to see what times i can get on them. If i beat my times with the 18's im sure the weight is the cause of me going slower...Driver issue as well ;-)

Dont have any issues with the IRS Bolt at all with mine.
Some one said that the Kuhmo's are a bit better then the Nitto's 555 series. Not sure & cant say since i never ran them :shrug:

What i can say is no wheel hop like the F1's but still feel it trying to catch a bit of air some times. Well worth the price.

lethal

Established Member
If I use the 18"s for every day driving, and leave the 17"s for racing days, is there any long term problems from the use of an 18" rim on the suspension, should I just go 9" rims and get like 275/40-18"s all the way around?

In this case, looks and tire longevity would be the goal, not performance, I'll have DR's on the old ones =)

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Well, the 00 Cobra R's had 18" stock, heavy too. Basically the same suspension, minus stiffer spings and shocks/struts to match.

rmoreau

Established Member
Thank you to all that have replied so far.

Very good information.

Mine is a daily driver, I want to able to hook up when the opportunity rolls around :burnout:

Of the choices available for the 18's, I'm leaning towards the Kumho's as well. I guess what I really want/need is the widest meat on the pavement possible. Whether that comes from a 17 or 18 I dont really care. And maybe a heavier slower wheel may help with that initial traction?

As far as mods go, I am concentrating on bieng able to apply the power I currently have, then I'll upgrade to the chip and pulley. But as it is now, when I stomp on it all I get is spin. I really havent experienced the hop, but then I also have never done the 1/4 yet either.
Thank you again, and keep 'em coming.....the more info the better!

Randy

Users who are viewing this thread