Update on my stolen engine issue

k_kenley

Established Member
That's an interesting topic. For about 3 weeks before I went to the CHP I was trying to call him to get a new bill of sale to show the referee station when I get the car certified, and he wasn't returning my calls. When I found out about the engine being stolen, I left him a voice mail that it was found to be stolen and he may get a call from the CHP. The next day he finally called me back (Hmm, I wonder why) and I told him what was happening, and that I needed his Ebay ID to list that in my statement to the CHP. With his ID I was able to find the auction that he bought the engine in and the Ebay member in Las Vegas that sold it to him.

I don't plan on calling him until I settle on getting the engine back, and until the CHP finishes their investigation on him. I was told that the CHP detective would call me when he's done with him and let me know his findings.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
NO. The money that I paid for it in June, 2005 is most likely gone unless I want to make it a civil matter between the person that I bought it from and myself. If I do get the motor back I will approach the person that I bought it from about compensating me for some of the money that I paid to get it back. That's why this is so stressing for me, because if I don't get it back, I'm completely out.

Actually maybe not. If you and the guy you bought it from can find and go after the original seller you could probably split the cost of the attorney and maybe get something back. of course it is a toss up as to if that is financially worth it.

You may also be able to take it off your income taxes as a loss. it has been awhile since I have used that part of the code but it is worth looking into.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
That part I will have to look into. Any idea where to start looking at something like that??

well my advice would be to call a tax guy or an accountant. if you want to do a search of IRS resources search under "property loss" "bad Debt" "capitol Loss"

You would come under the "property loss" but there may be entries under the "bad debt" or "capitol loss" that might point you in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread