Update on my stolen engine issue

k_kenley

Established Member
I posted a thread for LEO's last week (This thread is open to everyone) about finding out that my beloved 04 engine came up stolen when I asked the CHP to run the numbers for me. The thread is here: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443425

First off, thanks to FORDSVTfan, and those that PMed me. Okay, I gave the officer my records and statement on Friday, and I was also able to find the Ebay auction where the person that I bought it from in San Diego won it from someone in Las Vegas.

I took the engine (block, heads, valve covers, oil pan, and internals) into the CHP Monday, where he and 2 mechanics verified that I read the serial number properly, and it is definitely stolen. He talked to an investigator on the phone while I was with him, and from what I overheard, they consider me to be a second victim in this case, and he's working to get me in touch with the insurance company.

Today I took it back in because he scheduled the investigator to come see it, and they ended up having to impound it until I work out an agreement with the insurance. I know that it's what he has to legally do, but it still sucks. I even offered to let them keep the whole truck at the station until I can talk to the insurance.

He was at least really cool with the impounding part, he told the tow company to send 2 drivers, put it on cardboard, use straps instead of chains to hold it down, and to store it inside at the yard. He also took pics of it for me, and told them to be careful because it's worth over $10,000, which he knew was way high, but he was trying to drive it home to them to be careful with it. Everyone said that it looks brand new with hardly any use on it, which I've always thought. When it was auctioned on Ebay, it was claimed to only have 500 miles on it, which I can't know to be true or not now, yet even when I drained the oil out of it when I bought it in 2005, the oil looked almost new.

So now, I just have to wait for the insurance to call me. He said that their rep that he talked to on the phone back East today e-mailed their local adjuster to call me within 48 hours. I'm just trying to figure out what they might want to settle for to let me keep it, especially with them know that I already spent $6500 on it with all the accessories. Does anyone here work with insurance that could give me an idea? I know that when they total cars, they let the owner keep the car for 10% of the value. The officer did say that they most likely will not want to deal with moving around just the engine, which would make sense to me. We'll just have to see, I hope that the adjuster is in a giving mood this time of year. ;-) I will update as I find out more.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
The insurance company wont have a readily available market for that engine, so I am sure they will deal fairly with you. Plus, congratulations on being a stand up person and going out of your way to do the right thing :thumbsup:

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Definitely agree with what Adam said. My hat is off to you. Very stand-up. I hope it works out in the end. -Mat-

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Man I got some respect for you! You're definately doing the right thing.:beer:

k_kenley

Established Member
Thanks all for the support. It's been verified as an 04 Cobra motor, and the serial number is stamped with dotted numbers on the lower, rear, drivers side of the motor. There's a smooth surface about 1 inch above the oil pan, that's about 4" wide x 1" tall, where the number is. The number for the 04 was 4f###### and it was only about 1 inch long and maybe 3/8" tall (very small). If you ever have the bellhousing off, the build date is stamped on the top, left of center on the blocks mating surface.

Last edited:

k_kenley

Established Member
I just called the tow company that I saw take it, and they said that it took 1 1/2 hours to unload it (at least they took their time with it). So with that, they charged by the hour, which makes it over $300 in tow fees, plus $38 a day. I figure whatever I work out with the insurance, I will work to subtract the tow fees.

k_kenley

Established Member
I decided to try and expedite things with the holiday weekend coming up, so I called the insurance company's headquarters and they referenced me to a regional claims rep/adjuster. He said that he's the person that I will have to deal with, but he has to wait until they figure out what the salvage value of it is, and decide if they want to work with me or not. I did find out that the car was stolen from a dealer, so it is basically a brand new motor, so with that knowledge I'd be willing to pay up to a couple grand to keep it, rather than try to buy another more used/abused one for the same price.

Last edited:

k_kenley

Established Member
ARGHHHHHHH!!!! :bash: :cuss: :shrug: I just went to status with the adjuster, and his voicemail says that he'll be on vacation until the 2nd. No wonder he said that it probably wouldn't be resolved until the first week of January. He said that they just have to figure out the salvage value, and then get approval. What's worse, is that since this started I got my nice new Baer 12 inch front kit (I would've liked to go bigger but I'm stay at 16" 4 lug because I like the rims that I have), and my new 11" RPS flywheel/Centerforce DFX Clutch. Adam, can I start a donation fund to help me get my motor out? :thumbsup: Just kidding. :-D If anyone wants to see a little site that I made to tell about my project, you can goto www.geocities.com/wakko_kc/Mustang.html

Last edited:

k_kenley

Established Member
Man this is aggravating!!!! Well, I waited until the adjuster came back from vacation, and when I called him he said that he hadn't heard anything yet and he would let me know when he hears something. Meanwhile, the CHP officer has been REALLY helpful to me in trying to call the insurance company while the adjuster was on vacation, yet it seems like the whole company was on vacation for the holidays.

Well, I didn't hear anything from the adjuster, and then I got a call yesterday saying that it was being moved to an dealer-only auction facility. I went to the auction and they were closed, but I waited in the parking lot by a car parked in the assistant general managers spot, and waited for that person to come out. That idea paid off because he came out within 10 minutes, so I went up to him and explained my situation to him and that I just wanted to be able to find out when it's due for auction. He gave me the name of someone to call that if I give them the VIN of the engine, they can give me the lot number of it and when it's due for auction. I have a friend that said as long as I get the day of the auction, he can get someone in there to get it for me.

This way might actually work better for me because the insurance had to pay over $900 in impound fees, and I really don't see the bare long block going for more than $1500-$2000 at a dealer auction where most people are only looking for cars to sell on used car lots, and I was ready to pay up to $2500 for it to the insurance company. Especially when most people will look at it and not be sure of what the internals are like, the valve covers are a bit scratched up, and it will probably get a bit oxidized sitting out in the rain over the weekend.

Hopefully I will have it back by Wednesday.

k_kenley

Established Member
So, you got your money refunded for your purchase and now you might be able to buy it back from the insurance company for cheap?

NO. The money that I paid for it in June, 2005 is most likely gone unless I want to make it a civil matter between the person that I bought it from and myself. If I do get the motor back I will approach the person that I bought it from about compensating me for some of the money that I paid to get it back. That's why this is so stressing for me, because if I don't get it back, I'm completely out.

BlackMach1ne

Banned
NO. The money that I paid for it in June, 2005 is most likely gone unless I want to make it a civil matter between the person that I bought it from and myself. If I do get the motor back I will approach the person that I bought it from about compensating me for some of the money that I paid to get it back. That's why this is so stressing for me, because if I don't get it back, I'm completely out.

have you talked to him about it being stolen? sorry if its already been mentioned

Users who are viewing this thread