Upcoming track day at Sonoma Raceway Aug7,8,9 Trying out the new wheel tire combo :)

BADBOSS

Established Member
So first impressions on the wheel tire combo today! WOW!! explosive acceleration and grip in first gear. Revs really fast, but I am coming off 315/35/20 rears so gearing is lower. The car sits an inch and a half lower in the rear so handles different, tires are too new to say on cornering yet. Will give a full report after Sonoma.

BADBOSS

Established Member
Sonoma weekend was awesome! Nor cal Shelby club put on a first class event! if you ever get a chance to do their annual Mini-Nats event in August, do it! They are hosting another event at Laguna Seca thanksgiving weekend! Gonna try to go to that as well. Anyway, Sonoma is a very technical track, a lot of blind apexes at the crest of hills, off camber, uphill, downhill turns and WALLS everywhere! It was so much fun after 5 or 6 laps I felt like I could start to push it a bit. Lap times decreased all day and my last lap was my fastest 2:10.39 which I know is not very fast. But it was my first time with track tires and my first time at Sonoma. I must say I am extremely happy with the Apex wheel/Nitto NT 01 combo. For $2300 all in they are a great racing value. Tires still look almost new after the 500 mile rounds trip and track day! I ran them at 32lbs pressure cold and when they warmed up they were amazing. The car had more capability than the driver with these tires. Just means I need more track time :pepper: Will post a video once done editing!

bulbasr

Established Member
I'm looking into a very similar setup. Would you care to comment on why you went with the 275/35/18 over the 275/40/18?

BADBOSS

Established Member
Yeah, 3 factors. One being availability as I needed the tires for last weekend. 2nd being lower center of gravity of the car. 3rd was less sidewall flex. One thing I do notice is that my gearing is now really short, car accelerates like mad out of the corners and hits rev. limiter very quickly. Also found myself shifting to 5th in a few spots on the track, but now it corners and accelerates very quickly with tons of grip:)

Users who are viewing this thread