Unmonitored home security system

sixt5

Established Member
anyone using one of these? im thinking about getting one to do without the monthly bill of 50+ bucks for a basic package.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
I have much more than a basic package with dedicated cell phone transmission and it's not $50/month, closer to $40. Are you going to rely on you being home or a neighbor to hear the alarm? I'll double check with my wife tonight on what we spend.

For less than $500 year that's pretty good peice of mind.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
What's the point unless you are concerned about the house being broken into when somebody is home

tistan

Established Member
I have much more than a basic package with dedicated cell phone transmission and it's not $50/month, closer to $40. Are you going to rely on you being home or a neighbor to hear the alarm? I'll double check with my wife tonight on what we spend.

For less than $500 year that's pretty good peice of mind.

Most robbers are not going to stick around with an alarm going off.

5.0Lightning

Established Member
The unmonitored alarm systems are just fine. The signs that you put in your windows and front lawn do more to deter robbers than any alarm sound ever will. Why break into a home with an alarm when the one next door doesn't show they have one? It is true that a monitored system is going to get help to your residence if your not home, but that does nothing to deter anyone that hears the alarm go off and still wants to rob you. There are two types of robbers, the ones who are scared and don't know what to do so they take off, and the ones that don't give a damn about nothing and no one. The cops are not sitting outside your house 24/7 so even when they are notified it takes time to get to the residence. Very rarely do you hear about home break-ins or home invasions where the robbers are caught in the act. If they want what you have they will take it whether you have a monitored system or unmonitored system. The main problem I see is when you are home and caught by surprise will you be able to contact help? While I have an alarm, my family is protected by firearm.

sixt5

Established Member

this

most systems im finding has a siren outside and inside. they will also call your cell phone.

double check on your monthly bill if you dont mind, and who you go with. i'd really appreciate it.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
this

most systems im finding has a siren outside and inside. they will also call your cell phone.

double check on your monthly bill if you dont mind, and who you go with. i'd really appreciate it.

Go with 2gig alarm system. Its just what your looking for. You can have updates sent to your smart phone every-time its armed, disarmed. If you forget to set it you can arm it from phone or disarm it as well.

I sell them to customers all the time. The kit comes with 3 contacts, 1 motion, 1 key fob, touchscreen keypad with built in siren and cell phone back up. Pretty cheap (well my cost is anyways) lol.
You would then have it monitored through alarm.com. pretty slick stuff for the price.

Here is the link.
2GIG Technologies - 2GIG Technologies

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
The unmonitored alarm systems are just fine. The signs that you put in your windows and front lawn do more to deter robbers than any alarm sound ever will. Why break into a home with an alarm when the one next door doesn't show they have one? It is true that a monitored system is going to get help to your residence if your not home, but that does nothing to deter anyone that hears the alarm go off and still wants to rob you. There are two types of robbers, the ones who are scared and don't know what to do so they take off, and the ones that don't give a damn about nothing and no one. The cops are not sitting outside your house 24/7 so even when they are notified it takes time to get to the residence. Very rarely do you hear about home break-ins or home invasions where the robbers are caught in the act. If they want what you have they will take it whether you have a monitored system or unmonitored system. The main problem I see is when you are home and caught by surprise will you be able to contact help? While I have an alarm, my family is protected by firearm.

Exactly, which is also advertised!

sixt5

Established Member
Go with 2gig alarm system. Its just what your looking for. You can have updates sent to your smart phone every-time its armed, disarmed. If you forget to set it you can arm it from phone or disarm it as well.

I sell them to customers all the time. The kit comes with 3 contacts, 1 motion, 1 key fob, touchscreen keypad with built in siren and cell phone back up. Pretty cheap (well my cost is anyways) lol.
You would then have it monitored through alarm.com. pretty slick stuff for the price.

Here is the link.
2GIG Technologies - 2GIG Technologies

PM sent

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member

Most Burglars that are going to break into a decent home in a decent area will do plenty of surveillance on a house. Not usually your run of the mill crackheads looking for a quick score. Chances are they will know when you're not home.

The audible will hurry them, but probably not make them leave without taking some things. Eventually the police will be contacted whether your monitored or not. But with no exterior audible I can guarantee no one will hear your interior alarm outside.

Worth it? to most people, sure.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member

My security system isn't just for robbers. My things can be replaced and are insured so they are a secondary reason for having one, my wife and daughter's security and safety are the #1 reason I have an alarm. An audible only alarm can be silence pretty quickly leaving someone inside a now unsecured house.

...with no exterior audible I can guarantee no one will hear your interior alarm outside.

I have an interior and exterior, that system is almost ear bleeding loud if you are between them with the door open.

Seriously - monitoring for less than $500/year...why skimp. It's not like you need a personal loan to pay for it. Some people on SVTP spend more than that on their sneakers or cell phones.

Edit to add: We also get a break on homeowners for a monitored security system. The savings may even pay for the monitoring.

Last edited:

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
My security system isn't just for robbers. My things can be replaced and are insured so they are a secondary reason for having one, my wife and daughter's security and safety are the #1 reason I have an alarm. An audible only alarm can be silence pretty quickly leaving someone inside a now unsecured house.

I have an interior and exterior, that system is almost ear bleeding loud if you are between them with the door open.

Seriously - monitoring for less than $500/year...why skimp. It's not like you need a personal loan to pay for it. Some people on SVTP spend more than that on their sneakers or cell phones.

Edit to add: We also get a break on homeowners for a monitored security system. The savings may even pay for the monitoring.

That is true. You will save 10-15%. Add smokes or heats and get around 20% off.

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
We go through ADT and pay around $35 a month. Its great piece of mind. Cellular backup and motion detector. If someone decides to break in while were home or sleeping .45 acp and 9mm as backup until the police arrive

Last edited:

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I don't have mine monitored. I think a sign in the front of the house and stickers on the windows do most of the work anyway.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Alarm system effectiveness will vary from town to town and neighborhood to neighborhood, but here are some facts in my own town.
* Police on average have arrived at my house in 5 minutes or less (all false alarms).
* There are a few homes in my neighborhood where alarms go off and it's a false alarm. Nobody pays any attention to these alarms. So if my system is unmonitored, there is a much greater chance of a break-in with damage/theft.
* Most who have a monitored system have fire protection (monitored) as well. The LAST thing you want is for a fire to start in your home when you're not home and a call not to be sent to your fire station.

I am a firm believer that if you want security for your home, get a real burglar/fire system and have it monitored. Sticking a decal on your windows or sticking a sign on your lawn is gambling with a very expensive piece of property. I gladly pay $120.00 a quarter for monitoring my home system.

Oh, and my wife has GREAT peace of mind when I'm not home because we have a good security/fire system installed. And it is always active, even when we're home. Oh, and if you install a home system don't use a regular phone line for communicating with the monitoring control station. Use a cell phone or 2-way radio setup. A few dollars more but well worth it. A regular phone line can easily be snipped and there goes your system's ability to contact help.

Users who are viewing this thread