Unmolested cobra with 100k miles safe to pulley?

ARMEDSVT

Established Member
Hey guys,

I've owned my cobra since new and have fought the urge to mod it. Well, I have a CAI, and a catback. A few other mods too but only those 2 engine mods. I currently have a lil over 100k miles on her and have been itching to add some power. I was cool for a long time with the amount of power but now all of these newer sport cars are packing a punch right out of the gate.

I know these engines are strong and will go for a long time, no doubt about that.

My plan is to do an upper pulley, idler, swap all other pullies, sct handheld, and tune.

Would it be wise (safe) to do these mods to a 100k mile unmolested cobra?

Opinions please!

Especially from owners that have had their cobra for a long time.

Thanks!

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
My friend pullied his cobra after a lot more miles than that. Being the original owner and knowing the cars history and maintenance history, I wouldn't hesitate to pulley it or go even further with a TS. You can always do a compression test for piece of mind and go from there.

akeohan

Established Member
Good suggestions above, I would say you're safe because YOU know the car and its history.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
I as well have 100k on mine, just thrw a Posi port on it (515/510). I know cars history from day 1 (all adults), compression and leak down are better then most 20k mile ones I see.

Mileage is NOTHING on these cars, it's HOW they were treated and driven. My car doesn't leak/seep a drop, no smoke, no noise, no BS. Just flat out runs hard. I do have approiate mods and tuned by one of the best in my area.

hotcobra03

Established Member
More power you will meed more driveline upgrades ..tires, clutch, and rear suspension to use that power..

cj428mach

Established Member
I'm not going to compare to hotcobra03 but my old SB car was pullied for about 75k of its life. When I received it I slapped a twin screw on it and ran it like that for a few thousand miles. Last I knew it was in the mid 80's with a ported and pullied blower on it.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
yes its safe, you should go for it op. I am original owner and I waited several years before I pullied it (I think around 60k iirc)

you will immediately wonder why you waited so long lol

100k is just getting broken in! best of luck with it :beer:

ARMEDSVT

Established Member
^^^ I'm sure I'm going to feel like this. It happened when I pullied my lightning.

Thank you guys very much for taking the time to read and respond to my post. I'll keep u guys posted when I get it done.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
how in the world did you manage to put 100k on your cobra without slapping a pulley on it?! :dw::p

do it do it :thumbsup:

stangfreak

Established Member
I can't believe you never put a pulley on that. Your missing out! Lol. I I can tell you there are guys on modularfords who are going 10's with high mileage cobras and twin screws.

ctgreddy

Established Member
do it up! my car has 90k miles on it and makes the power in my sig.

Users who are viewing this thread