Uninstalling blower

Hy_Dro

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Looked on Apten's site and the step by step instructions for uninstalling the blower look pretty straight forward. For the ones who have done it, is there anything I need to watch out for or you got any tips.:)

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Haven't done it personally, but have read on numerous occassions on this forum about breaking blower bolts gettiing the Eaton off. If no one else responds to thread, you may one to go back and check on some of those threads.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The removal is pretty straightforward. I did mine a week ago with the help of a friend. It took us 4 hours and that is with interruptions. Here are some tips.

1. Have all your tools on hand.
2. Get a second set of hands. Removing the blower is much easier with someone helping. And it is always nice to have someone watching what you're doing, or not doing as the case might be. LOL!
3. Be VERY careful when removing the intercooler bolts. The supercharger bolts aren't the issue. The intercooler bolts are on the small side and break VERY easily because of their size and because the factory used a stong LocTite to keep them secured. The trick is to loosen each one slowly and carefully. At the first sign of resistance -- STOP! Tighten 1/4 - 1/2 turn. Then loosen maybe a turn or less until you feel resistance. Then tighten 1/4 - 1/2 turn. Repeat these steps until the bolt is loose. Do this for ALL of the bolts. Take my advice. Don't try to do it any other way. You'll snap more than one bolt and it costs $20. a bolt to remove at Apten. I did the above (on the first two bolts) without doing the re-tighten thing and snapped them. It was way too easy. Take your time and you should get them all out.
4. DO NOT re-use the intercooler bolts. Even when you take your time to remove them you'll notice that they appear to be stressed. My guess is that one or more will break when you reinstall them. Have Brian send you a new set.

My blower is in the process of being ported and then it goes out for polishing. I won't see it until the end of the month. Can't wait!

Lightning Bob

Established Member
I used a small piece of a 2"x4" on the coolant tube,to hold up the blower snout, while removing the front intercooler manifold bolts. And was then able to remove the blower by myself. To remove the intercooler mounting bolts easliy, I heated each one first using a small propane torch. Make sure to remove the MAP sensor at the rear of the blower first(it will melt). This is the easiest way to overcome permanent type Loctite.
Good luck with the install, you'll love the results. I was also able to re-install the blower myself using the aforementioned piece of wood.

Lightning Bob

black10th

Clutch killer
Established Member
Make sure you have a big enough wrench to get the EGR tube off....

black10th

Clutch killer
Established Member
Re: Re: 1-1/16" Open End Required

Originally posted by 03'Darin
A large adjustable will do the same thing.:-D

We did not have one:mj: :bash: Ended up doing a ghetto removal of the whole EGR assembly.....:rollseyes

Hy_Dro

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Wondering that myself. Torque specs are not listed on Aptens site.

Originally posted by Tim Lester
Nice write up C/B

:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread