Unable to remove upper pulley from eaton

jshababy23

Established Member
IMG_3903.JPG
IMG_3904.JPG
Trying to remove the upper pulley from the stock eaton using a metco pulley puller. I was told the pulley is a bllietflow pulley but I'm not 100% that's what it is.

I am torquing on this thing as hard as I can counter clockwise and it's turning ever so slightly but it doesn't seem like it should be this hard.

Anyone have a similar experience? I've included pictures to make sure I have it set up correctly. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

rymax101

Established Member
I had to put a cheater bar on the crescent wrench and on the metco bar on the side of the block. Wife held the cheater bar on the bar on the Block and I worked on the cheater bar on the crescent wrench

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

jshababy23

Established Member
Alright so its just that difficult then I suppose. The way it seems to always be described it should basically pop right off without too much effort. Thanks for the response.

jshababy23

Established Member
IMG_3907.JPG
So I went back at it with a breaker bar and it looks like all I'm doing is bending the pulley ring along the edges. I've now hit it with some PB blaster and I'll try again in the morning. Next step is heat. Any suggestions beyond that?

408Stang

Established Member
Heat the pulley... (it's bent now anyway) All around as even as possible. Not glowing hot... Just enough to make spit sizzle... It shouldn't take long with a propane touch because the pulley is aluminum. Then hurry and use the puller before the heat transfers to the shaft.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

MG0h3

Established Member
Looks like you probably didnt have the puller straight. Sometimes it wont matter but on a tighter fit it can do what you see there. Its likely that while you were moving the nut you were actually just sliding the puller to the side as it bent the pulley.

Play around with getting it straight again and apply a little heat to the pulley with tension on the puller.

jshababy23

Established Member
I think you may be right about the puller not being straight. I kind of just quickly eyeballed it not realizing the importance of having it straight. So heat and a straight puller will be my next try!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I think you may be right about the puller not being straight. I kind of just quickly eyeballed it not realizing the importance of having it straight. So heat and a straight puller will be my next try!
Spin it and try a new area of the pulley too. Those two sides are jacked right now.

MG0h3

Established Member
Ya it can be tricky when you only have two studs holding the two faces square. rotate the pulley so you have the flat spots next to the studs and then tighten them down as evenly as possible. Recheck after you start putting some tension on the puller

gt500dude

Established Member
I did have the same issue when pulling the pulley off my 07. Bent the hell out of the pulley but got it off eventually. I had issues getting the new one on as well. I think we may have taken too long to push it on.

Sent from my XT1650 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
damn, glad I sent my blower to a shop and had it replaced for $45 lol

jshababy23

Established Member
IMG_3921.JPG
Tried again this evening. Verified the two outer screws were screwed in evenly. Got pretty much the same result where the lower portion of the backplate moves but won't break the pulley loose up top.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Looks like those zinc bolts are bent. Screw the zinc bolts all the way into the back bracket to see if it straightens the bracket. If it doesn't, shim between the lower back part of the pulley and the back bracket to make sure it is plumb.

If all else fails you can pull the snout and have a shop press the pulley off.

408Stang

Established Member
Since the pulley is already bent, just cut it off. I can't imagine you're going to try and reuse that one. Get a cut-off wheel and start grinding... Go slow as you get near the shaft and when it gets close it might just pop off since it seems to be under some pretty good tension.

Even if you knick the shaft you can clean it up with an abrasive pad.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

jshababy23

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the help, after several attempts and bending the pulley all to hell I eventually got it off by continuing to crank and adding some light tapping on the top/back of the metal backer behind the pulley. The new pulley hub went on without without issue except for a squeaky belt now so hopefully I can get that taken care of shortly.

Beavis281

Established Member
Mine took some serious tension when I pulled it off. Something was bound to break.

I physically could not turn it anymore. My arms were jello. My hands hurt. I left the tension on the pulley, walked away, POP. Finally released.

Users who are viewing this thread