Uh oh, dad got a z06!

CobraTone

Established Member
Yep, he found a used 03 z06 with like 4000 miles on it. The thing is SWEEEEET, i couldn't believe how nice it drove. But on to the real deal, now that i have a job after college, what is to go on the cobra? I can't let the old man out run me!!!!

The problem is the previous owner already added mods, and supposedly increased it about 100 ponies, although i'm not sure what they are i have to find out.

I'm pretty sure a new blower is out of the question for now, so I'm thinking 2.8, Accufab, and maybe Apten ported blower, 315 nittos out back. How's that sound combined with my current mods? Do you think i could take him without the Apten?

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraTone

The problem is the previous owner already added mods, and supposedly increased it about 100 ponies

To add 100hp to a Z06 is VERY expensive. I HIGHLY doubt the car has 100hp over stock. To do this it would require a cam and probably aftermarket heads. A 460rwhp Z06 would be a 10 second car. :dw:

CobraTone

Established Member
Re: Re: Uh oh, dad got a z06!

Originally posted by Juiced-03
To add 100hp to a Z06 is VERY expensive. I HIGHLY doubt the car has 100hp over stock. To do this it would require a cam and probably aftermarket heads. A 460rwhp Z06 would be a 10 second car. :dw:

I agree, i was skeptical as well, thats why i want to get it on a dyno. maybe it increased 100 engine horsepower, i don't know, and I have never driven one before so its hard to compare.

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
Yeah, some vette owners don't know jack shit. They add their mods accordingly....

Headers- 38hp
Intake- 25hp
Catback- 20hp

You get the point..

Either way in stock form or not its still a bad ass car because of its weight.

-Corey

TRBO VNM

Originally posted by 94-98 Trans Am
Yeah, some vette owners don't know jack shit. They add their mods accordingly....

Headers- 38hp
Intake- 25hp
Catback- 20hp

You get the point..

Either way in stock form or not its still a bad ass car because of its weight.

-Corey

LOL, oh yeah..rice math

CobraTone

Established Member
Ok, so even if it only has basic bolt on's, can i take him with the additional mods listed above?? Like I said, can't have Pops eatin me up on the street!!!

xVENOMx

straight boostin
Established Member
2.80 non slip, idlers,apten, and 2# lower you wouldnt have anything to worry about. a throttle body isnt neccesary, adds like 5hp. not like the one on your dads new ride that added 25rwhp LOL

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I raced one w/ at least new exhaust from a 40MPH roll about a week ago and beat it w/ my set-up. Exhaust, CAI, Apten port, 2.80, and a good tune will give you 500HP peace of mind.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I don't know.....the mods you're suggesting could probably get you well into the mid 11's with some good driving skills (and the Nittos!). If your Dad does indeed have some decent mods, even if not 100 hp worth, he's probably hitting somewhere in the mid 11's as well.......May want to throw on a 50 shot and hope he doesn't follow suit.......

MineralGrey03

Established Member
With my mods, I'm putting 499 to the ground on crap California 91 octane. The Accufab and headers are not necessary. You'll still be in the 470+ range without them which should be enough to take care of Dad.

I am using a 2.8 pulley and a CAI.

Last edited:

CobraTone

Established Member
Hehe, cool guys thanks for the advice. Soon as my first paychecks roll in its time for some fun for the cobra! I'll try to get a list of the things done to the vette so we can figure out whats up with that. I drove it, and granted it is fast, but I don't think 500 horsepower fast, so we'll see.

Can't wait to see the look on his face as I roll on by. :thumbsup:

BTW - I'm going to pick it up from his work today, trade him the Cobra. Evaluation of the competition. :lol1:

Lomancobra

Established Member
If the Z06 is running upwards of 500hp then there is no way you will not be able to keep up with it without swapping the eaton.

It isnt really that hard for some guy who spent 50 grand on a car to just spend 7 more on a head/cam swap. I wouldn't go as far as to completely rule this possibility out. If this is the case your gonna have a hell of a time competing.

Then again if its just basic mods, the apten/pulley/chip should take care of it.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I ran side by side with a Z06 on two 2nd gear pulls last night out on one of the local roads. It's not a road I'd race on (route 37), so it wasn't a full run.
Both times, I was creeping at the top of 2nd. First time, I just grannied it out into 3rd, 2nd time I actually botched the shift and went into 5th (hey...I've only had the car 4 days!). I actually wish I had been in the Regal. I'd have busted his @ss pretty hard from a slow roll like that.
Nice cars, very quick out of the box, but really not intended to be a direct competitor with the 4-seat, $20k less '03/'04 Cobra.
S.

Last edited:

capnlbj

Beam Me Up Scotty!
Established Member
Yup, but do they make that Z06 in a vert?

hey Torch Red 10th, did you see the other thread talking about how or where to get 4" rolled tips for the Maggie? they look nice!

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
It's not that hard to add 100 horsies to a Z06 now. back in the day Ls1 strokers would only make 470rwhp. Now there are cam+headers+exhaust cars creeping up to 450 and quite a few h/c making 500+ rwhp.

The new F.A.S.T intake with 90mm TB is making it interesting, with strokers making over 550rwhp. It's about to get crazy with the AFR 225 heads coming out, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone make 600rwhp all motor by late summer.:coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread