UCA installed, clunk + whine now...

twistid

Established Member
Today I had a local performance shop install a Steeda Adjustable UCA into my GT and while driving home I noticed a clunk every-time I pressed the clutch, changed gear, or tapped the gas after coasting. I am marking this up to the two piece driveshaft, however I am now noticing a slight whine when I'm up to speed @ 70mph. Has anyone figured out a way to get rid of this, or is this something I'm going to have to live with? I am on my stock mount with the Steeda UCA, I imagine going to the Steeda mount would just make things worse.

Yes I searched on this topic... and found very similar threads, just wanted to see if anyone had found any solutions or suggestions. ( upper control arm=clunk and driveline whine - Ford Mustang Forums )

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
You cant use the stock mount with the steeda uca the hole sizes in the stock mount are bigger then the steeda bolts. so any force on the bracket causes clunking noises. Get the steeda bracket and it will be silent. How do i know. I have the steeda uca and bracket!! The steeda mount makes it all better! Did you use the thrust washers with the steeda uca?

Last edited:

twistid

Established Member
I'm not sure, I'll call the shop tomorrow and ask them.... I assume they did, why what's up?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The whine is caused by the more solid connection (poly bushing) between the body of the car and axle whine. It was always there, you just couldn't hear it through rubber.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I'm not sure, I'll call the shop tomorrow and ask them.... I assume they did, why what's up?

Because i dont think you can use the thrust washers with the stock mount, and without them you have a second source of the clunking! Steeda makes a different uca thats non adjustable that's designed to work with the stock mount!

Last edited:

stang8psi

Established Member
the adj uca from steeda does work with the stock mount..

from steeda,
Steeda Stepped Spacers: 555-4105 upper 3rd links come with spacers designed to fix the problem with the OEM upper chassis mount. At the attachment point for the upper link to the chassis mount Ford uses a 14mm bolt, but the opening in the mount is 16mm. This is not typically a problem with the OEM 3rd link as it uses a soft hydra mount bushing to soften this. But once an aftermarket upper is installed with a urethane bushing you get a noticeable clunk from the smaller bolt walking in the larger hole it installs into. Our spacers can be installed with all aftermarket upper arms that use the factory 14mm bolt in the factory chassis mount. The stepped spacers take up the slop and eliminate the noise from the upper 3rd links associated with the mismatched bolt/bolt hole combination.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member

from steeda,
Steeda Stepped Spacers: 555-4105 upper 3rd links come with spacers designed to fix the problem with the OEM upper chassis mount. At the attachment point for the upper link to the chassis mount Ford uses a 14mm bolt, but the opening in the mount is 16mm. This is not typically a problem with the OEM 3rd link as it uses a soft hydra mount bushing to soften this. But once an aftermarket upper is installed with a urethane bushing you get a noticeable clunk from the smaller bolt walking in the larger hole it installs into. Our spacers can be installed with all aftermarket upper arms that use the factory 14mm bolt in the factory chassis mount. The stepped spacers take up the slop and eliminate the noise from the upper 3rd links associated with the mismatched bolt/bolt hole combination.

Yeah and he doesn't have those i bet, which is why he's clunking. He can use those spacers and be good, but if he has the bux he should invest in the steeda mount, which is alot stronger and has a broader range of anti squat adjustment!

Last edited:

BMR Tech

from steeda,

The 2011+ cars have 18mm bolts, not 14mm.

And the reason the factory UCA does not clunk, has nothing to do with the bushing, it has to do with the design of the bushing sleeve. The sleeve has a design on the ends that enables the UCA to "dig" into the Upper Mount when torqued, so it will not move.

OP, you need to get a mount if you do not have the spacers to fill in the slop where the bolt mounts the UCA to the Mount.

prior

Established Member
I'm willing to bet it's not the arm that's clunking... It's just the existing driveline noises being amplified. I have 3.73 gears from the factory and they whine like hell now with the poly bushings.

The steeda arm comes with proper spacers to take up the slack. Don't waste your money on an UCA mount.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I'm willing to bet it's not the arm that's clunking... It's just the existing driveline noises being amplified. I have 3.73 gears from the factory and they whine like hell now with the poly bushings.

The steeda arm comes with proper spacers to take up the slack. Don't waste your money on an UCA mount.

Yeah but he had some guy install it that didn't even tell him about the spacers. he didn't have the clunk before this, so its the stock mount without the spacers, that's causing the clunk. The steeda mount is not a waste of money but its a necessity if you want to dial in hard launches for traction! Take a look at the multiple mount adjustments:

Steeda 2011-14 Mustang Upper Chassis Mount - Made in USA 555-4027 - Free Shipping!

Users who are viewing this thread