UAW to renegotiate labor terms

klarkent42

Man of Steel
Established Member
This is a step in the right direction...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081203/ap_on_bi_ge/autos_uaw;_ylt=AmG6JoE1h7HobFlwDermcE6s0NUE

DETROIT – United Auto Workers President Ron Gettelfinger said Wednesday that the union is willing to change its contract and will delay billions of dollars in payments to a union-run health care trust in an effort to help the struggling Detroit Three automakers.

Gettelfinger also said the union will modify the jobs bank, in which laid-off workers are paid up to 95 percent of their salaries while not working, but he did not give specifics.

"We're going to sit down and work out the mechanics," Gettelfinger said at a news conference after meeting with local union officials. "We're a little unclear on some of the issues."

One local union member who was in the meeting said the changes to the jobs bank would nearly eliminate it. The member asked not to be identified because the details had not been made public.

Gettelfinger stopped short of saying the union would reopen contract talks with General Motors Corp., Chrysler LLC and Ford Motor Co. but said it would be willing to return to the bargaining table to change some terms.

The UAW's efforts to help the Detroit Three get up to $34 billion in government loans come after GM and Chrysler said they are perilously low on cash and need government help before the end of the year. Ford says it has enough borrowed cash to make it through 2009 and may not need government help.

Members of Congress last month criticized the automakers for paying workers who are not on the job.

The CEOs of all three automakers are heading to Washington for Congressional hearings Thursday and Friday on their request for a total of $34 billion in government loans to help them weather a recession and the worst auto sales climate in 26 years.

Congressional leaders demanded business plans from all three that include a reduction in labor costs so Detroit is more competitive with foreign automakers with U.S. factories. The companies submitted their plans to Congress on Tuesday.

Gettelfinger declined to say whether renewed negotiations with the automakers would mean a cut in wages.

He also said the union will run a television ad in Maine, Kentucky, Indiana and Minnesota to put the faces of union workers on the controversy over the loans. The ads presumably are designed to pressure Congressional opponents of the loans.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The job bank is a huge problem. It should be nothing more than a right of first refusal for an equivalent job when one comes open at another facility.

Nightzx

Established Member
That sounds a lot like what is going on with the teamsters and my job. I work at Yellow Transportation and they're on the verge of shutting the doors for good. I've been laid off since Nov 7th with I don't know how many other guys. Last week we got a letter in the mail saying the union was opening talks with the company for a lower wage program. A few days ago we got word that the union has accepted their plan and the rumor is a 15% wage decrease all across the country. We find out thursday night what the exact number is.

Hopefully it will save the company from going bankrupt until the economy can settle down and work starts to pick back up. I hope it does anyways...my dad works there too and he's set to retire next October. If they go under before then he'll have to find somewhere else to go. That would suck.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
I think we can assume the UAW has been a big problem for many many years so its time for them to go rockbottem prices or they all lose their jobs, that's what its down to folks. A job or not, think about it.

SpectorV

Established Member
they finally realized that all the money they get paid that they dont really earn is going to put them out of a job....

Users who are viewing this thread