U-DRAG RACE: M8 Competition vs. S550 GT500

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member

These cars are pretty close in weight, actually not sure who is lighter since the weight range of the M8 comp is 4,156lbs starting, loaded who knows? Convertible is 4,480lbs. GT500 we know is a porker. Crazy that they are close in weight yet the M8 is AWD running TT. I think Ford needs to step it up with the S650 GT500 and finally go turbos like everybody else.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
In the video, it says the GT500 weight was as tested 4168lbs and the M8 Comp was 4295lbs.

I don't think turbos is the problem, the M8 wins because of xdrive, period. The GT500 was out-trapping the M8 MPH wise in every race, in the last race it was .1 second behind and 10mph faster in the end. The new BMW's launch hard with AWD, BMW realized with the F10 M5 they were reaching the threshold of traction which is why the current M3, M4, M5 and M8 all come with AWD.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
In the video, it says the GT500 weight was as tested 4168lbs and the M8 Comp was 4295lbs.

I don't think turbos is the problem, the M8 wins because of xdrive, period. The GT500 was out-trapping the M8 MPH wise in every race, in the last race it was .1 second behind and 10mph faster in the end. The new BMW's launch hard with AWD, BMW realized with the F10 M5 they were reaching the threshold of traction which is why the current M3, M4, M5 and M8 all come with AWD.
So the M8C weighs more and has almost 150hp less. I wonder how they'll do from a roll if both are tuned?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
That makes two not so great showings in a row for the poor stang. Time to rotate in some new blood.

That, or maybe continue to increase the HP differential further, until they get a different result. Maybe something in the 500 hp range j/k lol. It's still a nasty car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
AWD FTW. Nice competitive runs. BMW's AWD is well proven. End result was as expected. Both are awesome cars, but I'd choose the (more expensive) M8 Competition.

The M8 convertible is a stunner!
2024-bmw-m8-102-649c413018299.jpeg

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
To give you guys an idea of the power these M cars V8 (M5 and M8) have, I did a special BMW track event with other competent track drivers. I was in an M5 Comp. I repeatedly pulled 155 mph at the end of the straight on PBIR where my buddies C7 ZR1 pulled a best of 157. I nearly went straight to the BMW dealership right after the event. That M5 was so impressive.

In this video TRACTION won the race for the M8.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Dusty track with OEM tires and RWD will always lose the launch. Time to swap rear tires on the Shelby. I watched it with my 10y/o son today who has many miles in the GT500 and he said well it cost almost twice as much (Shelby MSRP and M8 as tested). Fair point. I’ll keep my Shelby and be happier. Then we watched Maclaren vs the Z06 and that was impressive RWD from the 765LT.
-J

bird_dog0347

Established Member
AWD FTW. Nice competitive runs. BMW's AWD is well proven. End result was as expected. Both are awesome cars, but I'd choose the (more expensive) M8 Competition.

The M8 convertible is a stunner!
2024-bmw-m8-102-649c413018299.jpeg
My Uncle drives the new M8 Comp Vert and it's amazing, the back seat is more worthless than the GT500 but who ****ing cares.

F8l Vnm

Established Member
Dusty track with OEM tires and RWD will always lose the launch. Time to swap rear tires on the Shelby. I watched it with my 10y/o son today who has many miles in the GT500 and he said well it cost almost twice as much (Shelby MSRP and M8 as tested). Fair point. I’ll keep my Shelby and be happier. Then we watched Maclaren vs the Z06 and that was impressive RWD from the 765LT.
-J
Ughhh I hate this excuse “ well it’s more expensive” non sense.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
How about "BMWs are gay"
IMG_4009.png

All jokes aside, this is an undeniably badass looking car. I’m looking for a replacement for my rs7 next summer as a second warm weather work car, and the gt500 never hit my radar. Should it?
Anyone paying $90-100k for a gt500, should be able to stretch it to an m8. Price difference is a moot point at this level.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Speechless.......Damn........New GT500 takes another ass whoopin........I'll stick with my old outdated S197.......Its gotta be that new high tech frickin shifter dial.......:ROFLMAO:

Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF by Hell's Kitchen

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Ughhh I hate this excuse “ well it’s more expensive” non sense.
Not really an excuse, just when I paused the vid explaining the specs to him he just had an obvious observation ….price gap is significant. I did try to explain you get what you pay for but it’s still $150k loaded.
Nothing against the M8 I'm just stating I’d rather have my GT500.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
View attachment 1801492
All jokes aside, this is an undeniably badass looking car. I’m looking for a replacement for my rs7 next summer as a second warm weather work car, and the gt500 never hit my radar. Should it?
Anyone paying $90-100k for a gt500, should be able to stretch it to an m8. Price difference is a moot point at this level.
I’m sure they’re nice, I just choose AMG or Audi over BMW. I’m looking for the right ‘18-19 E63s personally.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread