Typical WOT AFR targets still the same on E10?

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
Is the tendency, per the factory 14.1 stoich wideband guage, for the engine to still want the typical WOT AFR? I'm at 11.8 right now as the leanest afr. All I can do, per the inTune is adjust according to the leanest point (besides tip in lean). There are only two ranges 2k-4k and 4k-7 and in those ranges, it's a blanket adjustment. I wish they would have kept peak torque rpm in the lower range due to cyl pressure. I've tuned with the prp before but I sold that with the truck. I'm gonna keep it simple this time.

With this '13 3.7 V6, I'm hoping, in the same DA, there is still another 5hp to be had. So close to 8's in the 1/8th mile. I need another tenth at sea level.

If stoich is now 14.1, would that make the typical best power 12.2-12.3 now? Or would it still show, and be safe to run 12.5-12.7? I don't plan on making timing changes. If I did, I might remove 1* everywhere.

Thanks for any clarification.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Wideband O2 sensors read Lambda. If your gauge is set to read E10 (14.1 Stoich) then you need to multiply target Lambda by that number.

I belive your question is does it change your target A/F if you are going off a gasoline scale. Correct?

If that is the case:
Take your target A/F and divide by 14.64 for Lambda. Then multiply Lambda by the Stoich of the fuel you are running (E10) for your target A/F.

Example: If your target is 12.5 A/F on a gasoline scale it would be: 12.5/14.64= .8538*14.1= 12.0389 A/F (E10)

If your target is 12.7 A/F on a gasoline scale it would be: 12.7/14.64= .8675*14.1 = 12.2316 A/F (E10)

Since it can get confusing I find it easier to just tune in Lambda. That way it doesn't matter what fuel you are running.

Hope this helps.

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
Wideband O2 sensors read Lambda. If your gauge is set to read E10 (14.1 Stoich) then you need to multiply target Lambda by that number.

I belive your question is does it change your target A/F if you are going off a gasoline scale. Correct?

If that is the case:
Take your target A/F and divide by 14.64 for Lambda. Then multiply Lambda by the Stoich of the fuel you are running (E10) for your target A/F.

Example: If your target is 12.5 A/F on a gasoline scale it would be: 12.5/14.64= .8538*14.1= 12.0389 A/F (E10)

If your target is 12.7 A/F on a gasoline scale it would be: 12.7/14.64= .8675*14.1 = 12.2316 A/F (E10)

Since it can get confusing I find it easier to just tune in Lambda. That way it doesn't matter what fuel you are running.

Hope this helps.
It does help. Thanks!

I also asked on ModularFords for visibility. Here, I have an old username. Thanks for that reply too.:thumbsup:

Also, from your experience would you not go past 12.3 on track? My leanest is 11.8 at 450 DA. I'm working with a 3.7 and had to come to the 5.0 guys to get an answer. Noone else answered prior to this move.

I'm using the Diablo inTune handheld and it only has 2 rpm ranges, 2k-4k and 4k-7k. Unfortunately, peak cyl pressure is around 4250rpm and in the top rpm range so I have to be careful about leaning too much at torque peak.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I would not go above 12.3 personally. (On the stock gauge which is calibrated for 14.1 Stoich for E10)

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
I would not go above 12.3 personally. (On the stock gauge which is calibrated for 14.1 Stoich for E10)
Do you feel uncomfortable with 12.3? 12.2, if so?

Lastly, given the limitations...Would you try for the same a/f everywhere based on leanest reading? (limited resolution) OR richer down low, up high due to torque peak being there, etc

I'm shooting for an 8.99 in the 1/8th, tune only in this auto and 2.73 geared car. Previous best is 9.13 at 60ftDA.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the insight.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I would personally target 12.2 throughout the entire range. Any time the engine is at full load @ WOT.

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
I would personally target 12.2 throughout the entire range. Any time the engine is at full load @ WOT.
Will do. That'll be my limit.

I'm guessing, if I hypothetically ran the same DA as last time, probably unlikely I'll get tenth and a half or so I need ...unless the avg power surprises me with a reward...considering it's a 3.7. I'll guess 5 hundreths?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Possibly. I would look into ways to lower your 60 ft. That is where you will find your ET.

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
Using this Diablo handheld to change A/F...since I'm used to Dodge SD tuning, with MAF I am just designating a target A/F correct?

You see, I had to adjust for changes in DA at the track running the Dodge.

The calculations should already be made for this '13 Mustang, correct? That means even though the DA might change, it'll be accounted for and giving the same A/F in varying conditions. Just want to make sure I understand correctly. Thanks

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
The 13 Mustang targets Lambda for A/F. WOT is tuned in closed loop and reads off the factory wideband O2 sensors.

The MAF will take into account any changes in DA so you shouldn't have to change anything in the tune.

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
The 13 Mustang targets Lambda for A/F. WOT is tuned in closed loop and reads off the factory wideband O2 sensors.

The MAF will take into account any changes in DA so you shouldn't have to change anything in the tune.

That's nice to have! Thanks for the verification.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread