Typical Coolant Temps with FMIC in Summer & Stop/Go Traffic

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Just wondering if anyone daily drives their Turbo Cobra w/FMIC in the summer with the AC on. I've noticed that as long as I can stay at a constant speed without having to stop, the coolant temps stay anywhere from 88-92C (190-197F) even in 100 degree heat. That said, as soon as a stop, the temp will rise to 100-102C (212-216F). As soon as I start to go again, it will start to back down. So the question is, what is normal? I watched our F150 on Saturday and with the AC on even at cruise, the temps were around (90-94C). However, when I was in traffic, they did not really fluxuate since there was no obstruction in the way of the radiator.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
I didnt notice mine went up much at all.

I wouldnt concern myself with it much, but what are you using for a temp sensor? How are you able to see the exact temp?

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
I didnt notice mine went up much at all.

I wouldnt concern myself with it much, but what are you using for a temp sensor? How are you able to see the exact temp?

through the diagnostic mode..it shows temp in "C" Just hold the mileage reset button down with the key on the "On" position till you see the dash light up "Gage" then left off and start the car up....just keep hitting the button until the one after Oil..that will be the temp readout.

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
Just wondering if anyone daily drives their Turbo Cobra w/FMIC in the summer with the AC on. I've noticed that as long as I can stay at a constant speed without having to stop, the coolant temps stay anywhere from 88-92C (190-197F) even in 100 degree heat. That said, as soon as a stop, the temp will rise to 100-102C (212-216F). As soon as I start to go again, it will start to back down. So the question is, what is normal? I watched our F150 on Saturday and with the AC on even at cruise, the temps were around (90-94C). However, when I was in traffic, they did not really fluxuate since there was no obstruction in the way of the radiator.

Normal, you're passing lots of air when moving especially at highway speeds. When you stop the cooling is dependent on a relatively "wimpy" electric fan to move air through the radiator and heat exchanger so temps shoot up. Its a common problem with jeeps on a trail being pushed hard while only moving at a couple feet per minute. I have a three core brass radiator on my cherokee and I still have to eyeball coolant temps offroad.

THE LIRA

Established Member
Back home in San Antonio,Texas TIME SERVED!!USMC
I have noticed that as well on my Cobra. The temps on my car do not rise that far but I have noticed a difference since the TT install. As a matter of fact my original fan went out about 3 weeks ago. I had to get another from ford. I was also thinking about installing a pusher in the front of the radiator but I think my intercooler will be in the way.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I'm seeing 188-192 at driving speeds and it creeps to near 200 stopped, that's in very hot central Florida. 216 is on the high side, what Stat are you running and how about the fan on off temps? Coolant mixture?
FYI I'm not turbo but do have a front mount intercooler and Centri Blower!

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
I'm running the Reische Tstat...not sure if it matters, but I also have the teksid aluminum block which has the tstat in a different location. I'm everybit as hot as you and probably hotter right now..we hit 106 y'day outside. When it's not as hot outside, cruising it previously was around 90C or 194C. Also running a 50/50 mix with some purple ice added. I honestly think its just a matter of the ambient temps outside and also have a HUGE I/C....and possibly having the turbo in my engine bay isn't helping matters with the hot side. ..i'm just paranoid I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread