Two Types of People

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Cliffs: People suck.

I'm far from a psychologist or anything of the sort...but I've come to the conclusion that there are two types of people in the world in regards to dealing with life's every day graces and hurdles.

1.) Someone who believes they control 99% of their own destiny. If good stuff happens to them, great. However if bad stuff happens, before getting upset, they decide if it's controllable or not. If whatever happens is outside their realm of control, they nut up and deal with it; if they can control it, they take the necessary steps to correct it.

2.) Someone who believes that good/bad/indifferent is beyond their control (whether it truly is or not) and still want to bitch and complain about it. These people let bad things consume their lives and it begins to pile up and spiral out of control.

I'm very much a #1 kind of person. If something bad happens that I can't control, it sucks, but I move on and deal with it because I don't have another choice. If I can control it, I'll do my best to either correct the current issue or make sure it doesn't happen again.

Someone very close to be is the 2nd person. Has a hard time dealing with anything negative happening to them. It consumes them for days, things pile up, worsen their mood, and it's just overall an unhealthy way of going about life (in my opinion).

I've spoken to this person on numerous occasions about it. First I tried to offer help and alternative methods of handling situations, only to get shut down. Then I tried to just listen, but it's hard to listen to someone complain about what's happening to them when they won't help themselves. Now I'm to the point of just not wanting to hear about it at all.

While I understand not talking about issues and allowing it to bottle up, isn't going to fix anything; I just feel like I don't have the time, patience, or energy level to keep exhausting myself listening to their 'problems'. I'm a very happy person and like to live my life like that, but it's hard to be in a good mood after talking to someone that constantly refuses to help them self, and is always complaining about life's shortcomings. I probably take it more personal than I should, but I'm a 'fixer' so it's hard not to.

I guess this whole BS rant is just an easy way for me to get it out of my head. Obviously SVTP has it's own way of handling things, so I put my thick skin on today.

MG0h3

Established Member
One of my older brothers is like #2. Tended to lash out at people a lot. Wasn't real pleasant to be around unless the stars were perfectly aligned.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
One of my older brothers is like #2. Tended to lash out at people a lot. Wasn't real pleasant to be around unless the stars were perfectly aligned.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Exactly.

The lashing out part is spot on as well. I just don't understand it.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That would be a story for another time.

Famine

Established Member
I think you should tell that person what you just told us. It will probably end with that person being disappointed and angry at you, but then your burden would be over.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think you should tell that person what you just told us. It will probably end with that person being disappointed and angry at you, but then your burden would be over.

Been there, done that. It ended just like that for about 3 days, then right back to it.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Then remove that person from your life.

That is the next sensible step. I've basically given them an ultimatum to figure it out in the next month or so.

I just don't want to have an inkling in my body thinking I didn't try or do everything I could. So after a month or two of nothing getting better, I will just have to cut ties; and at that point, I'll know I did all that I could.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
I will agree with that, as I fit in the #1 realm as well, I kind of have that shit happens for a reason mindset when its out of my control. Have a person I know who is a spot on #2 does the stupidest shit you can't even begin to understand and complains "I don't know why this happened to me, it is so and so's fault that this happened to me". No, it is your own fault because your moron, can't accept that your wrong, and a pathological liar.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Maybe person #2 is suffering from depression and could benefit from seeing a therapist. If this is a close friend, he may need you now more than ever.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Maybe person #2 is suffering from depression and could benefit from seeing a therapist. If this is a close friend, he may need you now more than ever.

I agree.

Has seen a therapist in the passed. At this point they are not open to revisit that path.

I go back and forth about how much I should be there for this person. I obviously want them to have a healthy life and what not, but should I sacrifice my happiness in order to help them if they are unwilling to help themselves? I've always thought 'yes', until recently and I'm not sure I can do it anymore.

lastcall190

Established Member
I have no experience with dealing with someone with depression so that might be an idea.

Other than that, I applaud you for trying to help them. But I've run into some people just don't want to be helped. I've encountered some whom I try to give advice to, and if they take it, great. If they don't and just whine, then **** it my time is more valuable than to waste it on someone who just wants to only bitch.

Good luck.

EDIT: I had a whole edit but I can't compose anything resembling a reasonable follow up. You mention sacrificing happiness which is a shame. But if this is a family member I would probably have slightly more patience, but then again my family is real small and I have very little extended fam. From what you describe this sounds very much like someone in my wife's family though...

josephcostello

Established Member
One thing I've learned is everybody is the captain of their own ship. Shit is bound to happen and when the waves start coming over the deck you better make sure you don't sink with your ship. I also absolutely hate people who complain about others which seems to always be people looking for handouts/people associated with drugs. Everyone is given an opportunity in this world and if you want to bitch and whine you can go sit in the corner with all the other complainers because I've yet to see someone successful/happy/content with their lives with this mindset.

Black2010

Established Member
I wonder where I fall. I feel as though I fall into the first group as I work hard to achieve the things I want but I also do believe in Karma. I don't know if I believe in Karma though as a subliminal coping mechanism though to help me deal with stupid people easier that I see doing stupid stuff.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I just genuinely don't listen to them.

The girlfriend is the #2 option. I am very much number 1.

A lot of friends like to bitch and complain. But you know what I hear? Nothing but a pop and a hiss from one more cold beer and the Black Keys album in the background. I honestly can't remember the last time I let someone's bad mood ruin mine. Must be part of getting older where you give no shits about anyone elses shitty attitude

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I've tried helping people with the #2 mindset, and nothing ever comes about. I have cut ties with all those who fall into this category. So much stress is gone once it's done.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
My mom is a #2 bad. Enough that I'm concerned I'm going to grow into one.

Fortunately right now I care about almost nothing. If you don't care about anything, nothing bad can happen right?

Users who are viewing this thread