Two ?'s - T56 and clutch

96S/Cobra

Established Member
First off, I would like to put a T56 into my 96 cobra, but I'm trying to figure out a few things about them. I'll admit, I don't know too much about transmissions, so I called D&D to ask them, and they seemed to blow me off.

The 1st gear in an 03-04 cobra T56 is 2.97, and the 6th gear is .62. Now, a "viper spec" has a 2.66 1st gear and a .50 6th gear (along with an upgraded input/output shaft). Now I know the 03-04 input/output shafts can be changed out to the stronger shafts, but what about the gears? My question is this, can you have a T56 with a 2.97 first gear, but with a .50 6th gear? I want the 2.97 1st gear for more grunt when taking off (4v car with a vortech), yet I would really like to have the .50 6th gear for running on the highway.

Second question: What clutch do you guys recommend (or stay away from) for a 600rwhp car with a vortech. I have a Spec stage 3 now, and I do not like it. The car is used mainly on the streets, maybe the track once a year. So I would like it to hold up at the track once a year, yet engage smoothly on the street (being able to ease it out while sitting on a hill at a stop sign). I do not like the "puck" style of the Spec stage 3, it is very harsh, yet I really don't want to spend $1000+ on a twin disc. What are your first hand experiences with different clutches? What are my options?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I think you are mistaken about first gear in the T56 from a Cobra. I was under the same impression as you so I bought a Liberty 26 spline to upgrade the T56 in my 96 Cobra, but it would not fit because my D&D T56 is a BA3 with a 2.97 first and the Liberty shaft was made for an 03 Cobra which has a 2.66 first gear. The D&D part number for the 26 spline upgrade shaft for the BA3 tranny is BG45. The BA3 does have the upgraded shift forks, BTW.

Sorry, don't know anything about changing 6th.

I upgraded my input shaft so I could put a 2007 Shelby GT500 twin disk in. It can hold all the horsepower I can throw at it, and my wife can easily push the clutch pedal in. I love it. But it was $1000.

Last edited:

Helomech74

Established Member
03/04 Cobra has a 2.66 first gear. The Cobra R spec T56 uses the 2.97 first gear. Also, the Cobra T56 uses a 31 spline output shaft whereas the 03/04 Cobra has a 27spline output shaft. You can change out the overdrive gears, but they must be done as a set. So both 5th and 6th must be changed. You will not get the same final ratios either. I can't remember for a fact what you get, but it's like a .82 5th gear, and a .57 6th (like I said don't quote me on this, but it's close.) You will need to change out the 5th and 6th gear, the 5/6 countershaft, 5/6 shift rail and fork, and some other odds and ends. In the end, it's not worth it in my opinion. I am sure there are some other things I'm forgetting about this swap, but it's a pretty in-depth conversion.

96S/Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the replys guys. Hey 95SC, does the Spec 3+ chatter when it engages? Can you let is out slowly and take off smoothly, or is it more of an "on/off" clutch like my stage 3 is.

Anybody else know about changing the 1st and 6th gears in a T56?

Helomech74

Established Member
As for a clutch, I'm using a Spec 3+ and it works great. It's holding up well on my car and it has bearable driving characteristics. It took some time getting used to, but after the break in, it was much more easy to live with.

Helomech74

Established Member
The 3+ can be slipped from a take off, but it chatters a good bit during break in. A billet steel flywheel will cut down on the chatter a bit as opposed to an aluminum unit.

95SC

Banned
I'm running steel flywheel out of 01 cobra so it works great with stage 3+.My buddy has stage 2 and it's lot worst then mine.Stage 3+ has a full disc clutch that's what makes a big difference .

KazooGS-T

Established Member
I have a stage 3, and don't have a problem slipping the clutch at all. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be; car is also my DD.

96S/Cobra

Established Member
03/04 Cobra has a 2.66 first gear. The Cobra R spec T56 uses the 2.97 first gear. Also, the Cobra T56 uses a 31 spline output shaft whereas the 03/04 Cobra has a 27spline output shaft. You can change out the overdrive gears, but they must be done as a set. So both 5th and 6th must be changed. You will not get the same final ratios either. I can't remember for a fact what you get, but it's like a .82 5th gear, and a .57 6th (like I said don't quote me on this, but it's close.) You will need to change out the 5th and 6th gear, the 5/6 countershaft, 5/6 shift rail and fork, and some other odds and ends. In the end, it's not worth it in my opinion. I am sure there are some other things I'm forgetting about this swap, but it's a pretty in-depth conversion.

I really appreciate the info., that is what I wanted to know. But if I was to buy an 03/04 T56, can the 1st gear be changed out from the 2.66 to the 2.97? Is there a lot of other parts (just like you said above about changing 5th and 6th). I would really like to have the 2.97 1st gear, unless you think the 2.66 gear is perfectly fine, and you can hardly tell the difference between the two.

I just thought it would be nice to have the extra gear in 1st to have a bit more grunt when taking off. As for the clutch, I'll look into the Spec 3+, but I'm not too sure about buying another Spec clutch. I have not been happy with my stage 3 at all. Sure it holds, but for a 99% street driven car to me it is a bit harsh. Sure after the break in miles it calmed down a lot, but it is still no where a smooth engagement.

BTW...thanks for the seat extenders again, it sure helps my lanky ass fit into my car a lot better.:beer:

Helomech74

Established Member
If you want the 2.97 first gear you are going to have to change all the 1-4 gears as well. It's a lot more trouble then it's worth. If you want the 2.97 first gear, then you are going to want to get the Cobra R spec T56.

Personally I wouldn't want the 2.66 first gear with a Centri blower on a B head car. The 2.66 works great for the 03/04 Cobras because they have the Tq from the PD blower down low. You want as much gear as you can get with the Centri. I have a 600+hp Procharged car, and the 2.97 first with 4.10's works great.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Fidanza 4.3 clutch here, and I absolutley love it. Holds something like 700ftlbs and it's easily slippable..

Users who are viewing this thread