Twin turbos vs single turbo

04terminator04

Established Member
Juiced46,
99.8% of the people on here, including myself, have no clue how fast a 1000rwhp car is. Well more like slow on the street because its going to be like a bull trying to run on ice.

I was just getting my head around hooking up 600rwhp on the street and then jumped to the same turbo you have. Next summer is going to be like learning to drive all over again and I dumped money into the the traction department too.

+1 I agree ^^

I really want to do a twin turbo setup. Only problem im coming to terms with is i still want to drive the car on the street. I want to get more power and as much as putting a new blower on is fun it is the same whine you hear but in a different pitch. I'd like to find/build a kit for moderate power say....650 min maybe 750 high end, but its alot to try and take in and alot of homework on the owner end to figure out what they want and research the products, figuring out whats best.
I like the sound of hearing TT cobras on the internet...its something about listening to a car that wasnt really intended to have turbos on it, having turbos on it hahaha and just listening to them it just sounds absolutly awesome.

I think I want it more for the sound then the power, and maybe slighty for the fact ill be able to say " Yeah, its twin turbo'd" hahaha. Im not really one for street racing just like to drive a nice car with moderate ( and i say that in a terms of a modded car) horsepower, but can go to the track and go fast, or that open section of highway late at night on your way home when no cops are hunting for speeders and you just open it up and get that rush of excitement:burnout:. But its all IMO.

If anyone has idea of whats a good size or has specs on a good size setup, could you pm me with details? Thanks

C666

Established Member
Single give it a chance to hook then pour on the pwr IMO the street should not be about what feels fast you have to test it and thats hard to do mine hooks on low boost 650rwhp and runs 3.08 0-60 per Gtech single gt4780 .96

car.jpg

Last edited:

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
Single give it a chance to hook then pour on the pwr IMO the street should not be about what feels fast you have to test it and thats hard to do mine hooks on low boost 650rwhp and runs 3.08 0-60 per Gtech single gt4780 .96

car.jpg

Don't you run 8s on this setup? How Is the street manners and what's the stall.

Your car is soo sick!!

C666

Established Member
Don't you run 8s on this setup? How Is the street manners and what's the stall.

Your car is soo sick!!

So far we have been 8.9 on mid boost with this setup... very streetable I drive it to the track car shows walmart etc she will creep fwd on level ground takes ~1600 rpms to get her moving

Thanks

Last edited:

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
So far we have been 8.9 on mid boost with this setup... very streetable I drive it to the track car shows walmart etc she will creep fwd on level ground takes ~1600 rpms to get her moving

Thanks

That's awesome man. I love your car.

O and I vote single turbo as well.

D-MANN

Established Member
If people are going to vote one or the other they should atleast give reasons why or this thread is near useless.For all we know you flipped a coin and decided.

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
I vote single for simplicity, and less weight on the front of the car.

A properly set up single will work perfectly for what the op wants.

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
Interesting read, just wish there was more.

Figured I'd post to bring it to the top since its been over a year and there have been so many others that have gone this route that could provide some substantive information as to their opinion.

fangs99

Established Member
another single here..... i'm running a billet wheel precision 7675 .96 AR, 3.73 rear gears and my turbo starts to spool at 2,800rpm. i like the huge mid range tq curve of a single over a twin kit. oh, my turbo is good for 1200 flywheel hp

Last edited:

Fatal_Snake

Established Member
Currently installing my single kit now, turbo is the turbonetics s trim, f1 turbine .96 ar 76mm that comes with hellions single setup. Ill post my thoughts in a week or so

itSSlow98

Established Member
Im very happy with my Hellion single 76. For those who have never been in a turbo cobra they cant really talk. Its a feeling like most have never felt before. It feels more like a huge hit of nitrous to me and then a never ending pull after the hit.

If your worried about spooling a big single have the right rear gear selection, tire size, and learn to brake boost. By brake boosting you can reach full spool almost 1000rpms earlier with no lag.

I do miss the instant low end torque from riding in a friends eaton car, but when I get back in mine and do a 3-4 gear pull i dont see any twin screw car giving that feeling.

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
for those of you who switched to an auto... What kind of difference did it make?

Auto and turbos are just sick. I've had a 6spd on my mach with a single 76 and it was fun to play on the street and bang gears but it wasn't as fast as it was with the auto in there. I have a TH400 with about a 3500 stall. Street driving on the hwy now isn't too bad but the rpms hang around 2800 cruising around 65mph or so but I can pretty much hit full boost right when I step on it. I have a GT4276 and it put down 750rwhp thru the auto at 20lbs of boost on E85. I noticed I did lose about a 100rwhp going to the auto on the dyno but it mph and et faster at the track.

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
Auto and turbos are just sick. I've had a 6spd on my mach with a single 76 and it was fun to play on the street and bang gears but it wasn't as fast as it was with the auto in there. I have a TH400 with about a 3500 stall. Street driving on the hwy now isn't too bad but the rpms hang around 2800 cruising around 65mph or so but I can pretty much hit full boost right when I step on it. I have a GT4276 and it put down 750rwhp thru the auto at 20lbs of boost on E85. I noticed I did lose about a 100rwhp going to the auto on the dyno but it mph and et faster at the track.

a dyno is just a tuning tool... Does an auto relate to a pd blower and a centri the same way it does a turbo? i.e. does it still have the same result

RussZTT

Established Member
Single vs twin is like discussing religion, everyone has their opinion and you will never hear a "correct" answer. They both have their pros and cons.

Personally me, I love the twin setup. I LOVE the way it looks and everyone crowds around the car when I pop the hood. I have a built motor, twin 61s with the stock 6 speed. Currently at 15psi its a tad under 700rwhp with a 10.2 AF on 93. I should see little over 1,000rwhp on some race gas. Sure, I can lean it out a bit and get more but its my everyday driver. I drive the car everywhere like its a civic. I removed nothing and have no problems driving it across the country. Been like that for 2 years now. I also have another twin turbo car and will also put a set of big twin turbos on my Fox body.

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
a dyno is just a tuning tool... Does an auto relate to a pd blower and a centri the same way it does a turbo? i.e. does it still have the same result

What results are those? The power and tq curves go strait up and pull all the way till you let off.

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
just the way it feels, everyone ive talked to that went from 6 speed to auto says it feels faster, the car hooks better, it just put the power down much better. But I have never heard someone say they got the same result from a PD or a centri.

Users who are viewing this thread