Twin Turbo or Single Turbo on Cobra:

marcus314

Established Member
Twin Turbo or Single Turbo on Cobra/m112 peak power:

Hello. I plan to buy an 03 cobra or either a 06 cobra fastback (just depends on my money situation in a few years). Anyways, I know the engine already comes with forged internals and the m112 roots blower, but what is more powerful and efficient, a twin turbo or a single turbo? Is anyone here running with a turbo? I know the 03 is a 12 sec car stock, but what would it run with a good turbo kit? What's the difference in a twin and single turbo? I know the 03 comes with forged internals, but could it still keep street drivability with a turbo or twin turbo kit? At what point does it lose street drivability/breaks easily?

I'm just getting some ideas and trying to gain some new knowledge on forced induction and such.

Thanks

p.s. How fast has someone gotten with the 03 motor and m112 s/c? I know it can become an 11 sec car with under $2K in mods, but has anyone made it a 10 sec car? How much money was put into something like that? When does an 03 w/ the m112 lose street drivability?

Last edited:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
03Cobra's have very good internals. Folks have gone up to around 30psi of boost...factory being only 8psi.

As for Turbo's its free power since its making boost from the exhaust. Unlike Superchargers its belt driving. Since its belt driven it also takes power from the motor to make power.

Not sure on the single or dual turbo set up in which would be best but id figure that the dual system would be great. 2 Turbo's pumping air into the TB & would be a bit easier to work the pipes around the engine....but with that you have so much each that it will generate.

Ive heard they also can run less boost & make some good power.

All the HP & TQ u make should follow a very good tune & also determins how the driver is to the car...but the tune is the most important thing that i believe will help the motor the most. ;-)

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Welcome aboard first and foremost.

If you plan on buying a 2003 Cobra, there are quite a few in the
Marketplace for sale. Some have mods, some have LOTS of mods, and some are stock. You could check them out to see if any of them fit your needs/budget. You might find one already fixed up really well for a better than dealer price. If you do plan on an 03/04 Cobra. I would suggest the Kenne Bell blower as an upgrade. It is a direct replacement for the stock Eaton. It has
shown significant gains over the stock unit at same boost levels, a bit more than 80 RWHP to be exact. The Kenne Bell also has the ability to make 20+ PSI and still be efficient. The stock unit is only good for about 12-14 PSI before it starts to generate too much heat. It still generates more boost, it is just out of it's volumetric efficiency area.
Turbos are great. They create good HP and lots of TORQUE! Being that you want a 2003 + Cobra, I'd say avoid this option, the cost would be outrageous. It would be somewhere around $6500 just for the turbo kit. You'd need to purchase the upper and lower intakes from a 99+ Cobra, around $1500.
Your other option is the FR500 intakes at $3000 for them. You'd be looking at around $8000 before installation or tuning. You can't let just anyone tune a turbo car either. You'd be much cheaper and just as quick with the KB.

FWIW. Turbo boost is more relevant to the size of the head unit and it's impeller design. 2 small turbos won't make more boost than 1 LARGE turbo. The big idea behind twins is to eliminate boost lag. As example only 2 turbos at 6PSI each will spool up quicker than 1 turbo at 12PSI.
:burnout:

Last edited:

mikew1000

Established Member
Two turbos at 6psi does not equal one turbo at 12psi. You do not add the pressure when you have a twin set up. They may spool up faster but there is more to it than just a smaller turbo.

There is someone that has a twin turbo 03 and they did not change the intake. They used the 03 intake with the 03 intercooler and made an adaptor. The only problem with this setup is you loose some things. I think they deleted the air conditioning and some other items but not 100% sure. There is not much room under the hood with the 4.6 DOHC.

From my experience you would be better off going with the KB on an 03 Cobra. The installation is cleaner and easier than a turbo would be. You do some other upgrades such as exhaust along with the KB you have a ton of power. In the end the turbo would have more potential but you have to ask how much of that power you can use on the street.

ZeroSpinn

Car Mod Addict
Established Member
what I've heard...

From what I understand, like another post said, the twin setup is more to eliminate boost lag, but I've also heard that the lag of a single vs. twin turbo is almost unnoticeable. Also, the 5.0's do well on twin turbo's, but there is a lot less room w/ Cobra 4.6, so I think a single turbo would be more efficient packing-wise. And all the turbo kits I've seen are around $6500 for single turbo, I would imagine twin would be even more expensive...

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by mikew1000
Two turbos at 6psi does not equal one turbo at 12psi. You do not add the pressure when you have a twin set up. They may spool up faster but there is more to it than just a smaller turbo.

FWIW. Turbo boost is more relevant to the size of the head unit and it's impeller design. 2 small turbos won't make more boost than 1 LARGE turbo. The big idea behind twins is to eliminate boost lag. As example only 2 turbos at 6PSI each will spool up quicker than 1 turbo at 12PSI.

I think you might want to read this small part. ;-)

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by mikew1000

There is someone that has a twin turbo 03 and they did not change the intake. They used the 03 intake with the 03 intercooler and made an adaptor. The only problem with this setup is you loose some things. I think they deleted the air conditioning and some other items but not 100% sure. There is not much room under the hood with the 4.6 DOHC.

How did they get the BOOST by the rotors in the Eaton? Did they gut it and use it as the upper? I mean the Eaton is essentially the upper intake on the roots vehicles. That would be neat to see. You got a link or anything?

StangD281

Established Member
Re: Twin Turbo or Single Turbo on Cobra/m112 peak power:

Originally posted by marcus314
I know it can become an 11 sec car with under $2K in mods, but has anyone made it a 10 sec car?
Without Nos there aren't many.

marcus314

Established Member
So with the eaton blower, about $2K in mods, and nitrous...an 03 could become a ten second car?? How big of a shot are you talking about? Would this car still retain street drivability? What about if the eaton was replaced with a KB?
BTW, I was just reading another one of my posts and I was told that Pete sold his 03 to a guy, and shortly after he got it, the KB blew up on him. Does anyone know about this?

Thanks

StangD281

Established Member
Originally posted by marcus314
So with the eaton blower, about $2K in mods, and nitrous...an 03 could become a ten second car?? How big of a shot are you talking about? Would this car still retain street drivability? What about if the eaton was replaced with a KB?
BTW, I was just reading another one of my posts and I was told that Pete sold his 03 to a guy, and shortly after he got it, the KB blew up on him. Does anyone know about this?

Thanks
I personally don't know a whole lot about nitrous on the '03. One owner that I know didn't have enough fuel on the tune apparently & the engine went boom.

Yes Pete's car is sold. New owner bought the X2C motorsports prototype turbo for the Cobra. He seems to like mods that have been "tested" heavily apparently. :shrug:

TwoValveKid

Uh oh.....
Established Member
yeah you can easily get 10s with that on a cobra...you gotta remember...its a supercharger car...and NOS cools the air down...i got a buddy of mine who has a probe stroker on his 5.0 (331ci) and a kenne bell unit on it...with the kenne belle the motor made about 400 at the wheels...he added a 50 shot with the intentions of just cooling the air down...and ended up dynoing at about 510 at the wheels...and thats on stock boost...imagine what a 14psi cobra would do with a 50 shot....i bet you could get at least 150 at the wheels...thats all just cause the supercharger can get so much more air in there....hence...more nos...

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
I'd just go w/ a turbo setup so you'll be different and so you can have the beloved BOV sound :thumbsup: There are several companies that sale turbo kits, just make sure research each company and spend your money wisely :)

LtDan

Lt Dan
Established Member
I'll tag on to this post with some related Q's.

I'm also trying to decide between a single and TT set-up for a 99 Cobra. Plan on forging the internals either way. Here's my main concerns:
Reliability
Weight
Price
Power in RPM band
Installation

If anyone wants to comment on any of these issues, especially reliability, that would be helpful.

pwrhungry

Established Member
GR8WHITE said:
Welcome aboard first and foremost.

If you plan on buying a 2003 Cobra, there are quite a few in the
Marketplace for sale. Some have mods, some have LOTS of mods, and some are stock. You could check them out to see if any of them fit your needs/budget. You might find one already fixed up really well for a better than dealer price. If you do plan on an 03/04 Cobra. I would suggest the Kenne Bell blower as an upgrade. It is a direct replacement for the stock Eaton. It has
shown significant gains over the stock unit at same boost levels, a bit more than 80 RWHP to be exact. The Kenne Bell also has the ability to make 20+ PSI and still be efficient. The stock unit is only good for about 12-14 PSI before it starts to generate too much heat. It still generates more boost, it is just out of it's volumetric efficiency area.
Turbos are great. They create good HP and lots of TORQUE! Being that you want a 2003 + Cobra, I'd say avoid this option, the cost would be outrageous. It would be somewhere around $6500 just for the turbo kit. You'd need to purchase the upper and lower intakes from a 99+ Cobra, around $1500.
Your other option is the FR500 intakes at $3000 for them. You'd be looking at around $8000 before installation or tuning. You can't let just anyone tune a turbo car either. You'd be much cheaper and just as quick with the KB.

Wrong information here.

PTk's kit
2003-2004 Mustang Cobra 4.6 Liter 32 Valve Turbo Kit - 1150 Hp Street Kit, Includes a Custom Sheetmetal Intake, Tubular Suspension and a Garrett T-76GTS Turbo. ( up to 1100hp)..

Our Price: $6,199.99

Add up a KB 2.4, L/T headers, and full front end suspension and see what you come up with for price. Its not as far off as people seem to think. If you going the cheapest route possible, ie whipple and thats it yes its less but if your going full bore like some of us then its close. The largest thing is a turbo kit you have to pay for all these things at once, with a s/c'er you can do headers when you get the funds, front suspension, and other misc parts the turbo kit provides.

HellionCobra

More to come!
Established Member
LtDan said:
I'll tag on to this post with some related Q's.

I'm also trying to decide between a single and TT set-up for a 99 Cobra. Plan on forging the internals either way. Here's my main concerns:
Reliability
Weight
Price
Power in RPM band
Installation

If anyone wants to comment on any of these issues, especially reliability, that would be helpful.

enjoy some reading here.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176353

www.hellionpowersystems.com

be glad to answer any other questions.

Nate

Cobrastruk04

I did the same thing as Nate and went with www.hellionpowersystems.com

This is a great company with a great setup

I bought a T66 turbo for my 04 Cobra and it should handle up to 700+ RWHP it will be at my house by tuesday so ill post some pictures

they have great customer service which is a big plus for me after trying to work with HP Performance and the Dreded Kenne Bell.

Its a great setup and will put down some serious power. :burnout:

The best thing about this kit is straight bolt on. NO cutting of anypart of the car is required, so thiskit will most surely be cheaper then the Twin set up. Lag might be worse but when it comes.... you better be strapped in like no other :eek: :eek:

I also can asnwer some questions
Devon :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread