TVS tune, what would you do?

Rydawg1

Established Member
I got the VMP TVS stage II in October and sent the datalogs to Justin. Loaded the tune and haven't had any issues at all. It's also my daily driver and so far I've been very happy with it and would recommend them for sure!

mbreaux05

Established Member
I got the VMP TVS stage II in October and sent the datalogs to Justin. Loaded the tune and haven't had any issues at all. It's also my daily driver and so far I've been very happy with it and would recommend them for sure!

Good to hear! Did you data log on the street? I hear he only requires a red line pull in second gear?

zachcrosen

Established Member
Have the man that designed the kit tune it. He is the best at tuning the Roush! You won't be let down. Justin tuned mine on the dyno and still used the sct data logging software. Same as from his house to yours!

mbreaux05

Established Member
So I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll just add to this one. I was 100% set on vmp tvs with TSS dyno tune, until I just saw another tvs blow the engine with an 82mm pulley...

Now I'm second guessing everything since I'm about 3 days out from purchase.

I'm now unsure of the route to go. I can get the roush phase 2 for $400 cheaper than the vmp. It comes with a smaller Cai, and a few other differences. One of the main differences with the vmp comes with the dual fan HE.

Mine is DD and longevity is the concern over HP and track times.

So, what would you do? Roush 2 with their tune for now, or stick with vmp and TSS tune conservative, or roush phase 2 with TSS tune (considering the vmp upgrades aren't necessary for my DD application, and not wanting to see 650+rwhp)

Christmas decisions!!

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
So I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll just add to this one. I was 100% set on vmp tvs with TSS dyno tune, until I just saw another tvs blow the engine with an 82mm pulley...

I'm now unsure of the route to go. I can get the roush phase 2 for $400 cheaper than the vmp. It comes with a smaller Cai, and a few other differences. One of the main differences with the vmp comes with the dual fan HE.

So, what would you do? Roush 2 with their tune for now, or stick with vmp and TSS tune conservative, or roush phase 2 with TSS tune (considering the vmp upgrades aren't necessary for my DD application, and not wanting to see 650+rwhp)

Christmas decisions!!

dude that is just a chance you will need to take. i have read about cars with my setup blow motors up but just because a car blows up doesn't mean that yours will. it very well can but is not written in stone. i would just keep going with the original plan and take the chance. if you are so concerned about longevity i would rethink the idea of the supercharger but if you want it then just go for it with the stage 3. one more thing to consider in regards to longevity. driving habits have alot to do with how long the engine stock motor goes. for example. avoid flooring it below 3500rpm especially with a tvs. dont beat the hell out of the car every time you drive it. let it warm up and do regular oil changes. check spark plugs and use good fuel.

Gradyh

WTB MY21/22 order
Established Member

Christmas decisions!!

Why wouldnt you want the upgraded H.E.?

bmyles

Established Member

Christmas decisions!!

I went with the vmp kit with the 85mm pulley instead of the 82mm and had justin do a conservative tune because I was in the same boat as you . I like how the vmp kit comes with a lot of upgrades over the roush kit that your probably going to end up buying anyway.

mbreaux05

Established Member
I went with the vmp kit with the 85mm pulley instead of the 82mm and had justin do a conservative tune because I was in the same boat as you . I like how the vmp kit comes with a lot of upgrades over the roush kit that your probably going to end up buying anyway.

I think that's the route I'll end up going. How long have you been running the kit??

I know the vmp has numerous upgrades, I just started contemplating if they were necessary.
With the $400 I'd save, I could get some gauges to monitor everything as a little added safety.

Last edited:

bmyles

Established Member
I think that's the route I'll end up going. How long have you been running the kit??

I know the vmp has numerous upgrades, I just started contemplating if they were necessary.
With the $400 I'd save, I could get some gauges to monitor everything as a little added safety.

About 8 months now. I just found when ever I cheep out I always buy the parts later and it costs me twice as much .

i want boost

Established Member
I'll be pulling the trigger on the VMP TVS stage 2 kit here in the near future.

I'd like to get your vote on the tune.

The kit is being installed at Triangle speed shop (TSS) in orange,tx

Options:

1. Get the base tune from VMP, and TSS will data log and send the logs back to justin, for a final revision.

2. Have TSS do the entire tune at their shop on their dyno.

Both options will cost around the same price.

The car is my DD and longevity/reliability is more the focus, over track times and max HP. The plan is to do the 85mm or 82mm pulley with a tune putting about 550ish rwhp.

So, what would you do in my situation? Vmp tunes from justin, or have Daniel at TSS do a custom dyno??

Also if you have the VmP kit, please chime in on how it's treating you!

Hooah!

I would let the shop tune it if they are any good
I ran a few revisions of vmp tunes, had minor issues, mostly car cutting off 4-7 times over a month or two.
Anyway when I had mine on the dyno (on 3rd or4th revision)at fastlaneMS I was losing about 100 hp at around 6400rpm, and was real aggressive on timing, so let fastlane tune it, lost a few hp, not noticeable, but less timing and no more hp drop. Throttle body was closing almost completely at 6400, could not figure out why, was told it could be the TB itself. Still will do it, but tuned it out past 7xxx rpm

i want boost

Established Member

Christmas decisions!!

I was in the same boat, just bit the bullet and did it, worst part was parting with all that cash,

Buyer beware.... Then you will want to hook, and not tear shmess all to hell, so exspect to spen a lot more also, o have about and extra 2-3k, and have not got to the wheels yet, close, but I peeping the car for the bit first

You will just have to except the fact that it can happen, have about 6k on mine, no problems yet knock on wood, and did the install myself, (knock on wood till it breaks). But hey if it breaks it's gonna be one nasty b when it get put back together.

chao5.0

Established Member
dude that is just a chance you will need to take. i have read about cars with my setup blow motors up but just because a car blows up doesn't mean that yours will. it very well can but is not written in stone. i would just keep going with the original plan and take the chance. if you are so concerned about longevity i would rethink the idea of the supercharger but if you want it then just go for it with the stage 3. one more thing to consider in regards to longevity. driving habits have alot to do with how long the engine stock motor goes. for example. avoid flooring it below 3500rpm especially with a tvs. dont beat the hell out of the car every time you drive it. let it warm up and do regular oil changes. check spark plugs and use good fuel.

why not floor it below 3500rpm? I thought the point of a tvs was for instant boost at 2000rpm or something?

also OP for longevity of the motor just treat it well and maintain it and it should be ok, if you abuse it constantly and never maintain it then you will most likely blow it, same goes for any motor including built ones. might want to think about some gauges like boost and afr just to keep an eye on things when driving.

Users who are viewing this thread