TVS Installed Now a Issues

00Whitey

Established Member
Just installed Gen 1, FRPP Twin 65, with 80 lbs FRPP injectors, 2.4" pulley. Still running JLT 110. Loaded tune from reputable tuner, and now having major issues, breaking up bad under acceleration and getting codes P2196, and P2198. Idles fine free revs fine. Rechecked everything back from CAI for leaks, cleared codes, reflashed back to stock settings, reloaded tune and same same. Getting a lot of black smoke with full pedal while accelerating with full pedal as well.
Would appreciate any feed back from those with more knowledge with the 5.4.
Thx !

Kenneth

Established Member
I wouldn't jump right to the O2 sensors until you answer the first question.

I agree, check the simple things first, even if it is the sensors the codes he listed would be running rich which will kill a set of plugs in no time.

At one point when my sensors were going out, if I got on the car at over half throttle, it would black smoke like a diesel.

RSAGT500

Established Member
I agree, check the simple things first, even if it is the sensors the codes he listed would be running rich which will kill a set of plugs in no time.

At one point when my sensors were going out, if I got on the car at over half throttle, it would black smoke like a diesel.

It's likely the codes are from the boost blowing the spark out because the plugs need a smaller gap with the high boost and this is causing it to run rich.

00Whitey

Established Member
I did not regap, Ill check and let yall know. has to be something simple that is not
jumping right out. Thanks for input.

Last edited:

00Whitey

Established Member
Plugs were toast but that's not the issue. I did replace and gapped at .033" same same. Been trading emails with tuner, going to try a different tune to deal with the injectors. I'll tighten gap a bit more as well. Hoping to get it running right.

RSAGT500

Established Member
Edited this post because I was wrong. I went back and looked at my emails and I think I'm gapped at .035 with the TR7IX

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I had originally said .028 off the top of my head but went back an found an e-mail from BJ saying .035. I don't remember which one i put mine at.

Yeah....not with a 2.40"

030 max on a Trinity and a 2.40"

028 max on a VMP GEN II with the same.

Your revision for your 80# FRPP injectors is in your email.

bj

00Whitey

Established Member
Well another hit for the VMP parade. Revised tune received for the FRPP 80's car runs great. Still need to data log to check maf counts. Car runs great and pulls hard all the way thru. Can't say enough about BJ and his support, huge shout out :), he went way out of his way this weekend to make things right, so a big thank you BJ !!!!

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Well another hit for the VMP parade. Revised tune received for the FRPP 80's car runs great. Still need to data log to check maf counts. Car runs great and pulls hard all the way thru. Can't say enough about BJ and his support, huge shout out :), he went way out of his way this weekend to make things right, so a big thank you BJ !!!!
Our pleasure.

mgmustang1

Established Member
The 80# injectors seem to do that alot until tuned properly. I'm sure it's especially harder tuning just through email. Props to VMP for getting it right!

Users who are viewing this thread