TVS, E85, bolt ons (100% stock longblock) - 875rwhp

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
To add some technical to this discussion, my stock engine was stripped down to be built by my tuner (Lidio at Alternative Auto) for his '13 GT500 and I will take his stock shortblock once my JDM shortblock arrives. A

Anyway, stock block at 750rwhp range looked prestine internally BUT the engine shop measured some slight bore distortion. I'll get an exact number soon, but the point is the liner less spray bores DO move. Shop said that's expected and slight, but interesting to note. They also said it could happen early and just stay that way, nothing necessarily related to modded power.

Last, sweet wheels! 18s?

Any chance you will get on a Dynojet dyno?
Seems more difficult to compare this number if we going to give it the stock long block dyno record.

As I mentioned earlier, we will be running very similar mods, only difference JDM cams and slight head clean up port, not full CNC in any way. I'll be tuned on aDynojet, so it could give a nice comparison.
-J

I'm not looking for a dyno record. I'm inches away from throwing on a 20% lower so I can back off my timing a bit. That should make for a safer engine, with additional power.

And those wheels are 17s

Bad Company

Established Member
Any spare GT valve covers (don't care if ugly as I'll powder coat, but thinking of GT timing gear).

Thanks.
-J
J call Autonation Ford. They have supplied me with a new set of the Ford GT valve covers at a reasonable cost. Otherwise you'll have to find a set off an earlier 4V engine. I've never seen a used set of the Ford GT covers for sale at a fair price

here is a VIN to use when you call 1FAFP90S06Y4011317

They did not at the time I ordered the covers require proof that you are truly an owner of a GT before they order the part. The new covers do come with new gaskets, spark plug grommets and valve cover bolt grommets also.

TVS VERT

Established Member
The 3.6 and the TVS at the same boost pressure the 3.6 will make more power because of increased adiabatic efficiency of the 3.6 with the larger rotors and 4 x 6 rotor pack in addition to the way the twin screw works versus the TVS. As an example I had a customer with a TVS at 19 PSI and he switched to a KB 3.6 at 19 PSI. He picked up four tenths in the quarter mile.

I'm about to put that theory to bed for sure......20 psi on my 3.6 vs 20 psi on VMP's new 2 R car will pick up 4-5 tenths and 5 MPH all day.....best was 10.22 @ 138 the TVS will smash that

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Good luck, keep us posted on Gen 2R results.
I'm hoping to have updates in 3-4 weeks too.
Justin--I think I've seen your ride with the race wheel set up. Any pics or results to share?
-J

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
Work is hard to get out and I just had knee surgery so the car is down for the winter. Won a roll race event against 800-1100 hp Camaro and CTSV. Still shifting super early (6100), running FTW Clear and tons of ice in the tank. Car is running as good as ever.

2ewnscx.jpg

w98gtt.jpg

paluka21

Established Member
Nah, I'm going to bronze these rods and put them on the wall. They have done me very well. Nearly 900whp for over a year. Over 750 for over 18 months prior. 200+ races/pulls.

Assuming you're attributing your success with the stock rods to:
1) Limiting RPM
2) Good tune + fuel

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
stop hating..... and NO longevity isn't winning shit! ppl want their cars to be as fast as they can make them and if their are tuned properly and u don't detonate then they will live at 800+ hp all day long!

this thread is about someone making stout HP on a stock long block and all you can do is whine about it. how bout you just say "Wow thats impressive, goes to show how much power these motors can actually handle".

Mine makes consistent mid 9 second passes at FULL weight! so do the math thats 850 hp. yea 1/4 mile times/car weight don't lie!

and these motors are dirt cheap to build. $3000 motor rebuild? lmao..... maybe 30 years ago. u can get a stout 1000 hp short block done for $5k. THATS too expensive? SMH!

and the rods are not the weak point the pistons are so if timing is reasonable and the boost is up the rods take the abuse ALL DAY LONG if TUNED PROPERLY and doesn't DETONATE!

I don't think the question has ever been whether our motors can make that much with what you have. The early questions were would it hold up to that very long. Those are now answered with..."not long".

Longevity is winning over more than easy power numbers as of late. These engines are too expensive to rebuild, especially when the block is windowed from pushing 800rwhp+ at these rods. Days of a $3000 rebuild on that Chevy 350 are over...

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
Assuming you're attributing your success with the stock rods to:
1) Limiting RPM
2) Good tune + fuel

Yep, 6400 max rpm, FTW Clear fuel, Lund Tune and a meticulous maintenance routine. Lots of oil changes, spark plugs and data logging.

Softballer77

Established Member
stop hating..... and NO longevity isn't winning shit! ppl want their cars to be as fast as they can make them and if their are tuned properly and u don't detonate then they will live at 800+ hp all day long!

this thread is about someone making stout HP on a stock long block and all you can do is whine about it. how bout you just say "Wow thats impressive, goes to show how much power these motors can actually handle".

Mine makes consistent mid 9 second passes at FULL weight! so do the math thats 850 hp. yea 1/4 mile times/car weight don't lie!

and these motors are dirt cheap to build. $3000 motor rebuild? lmao..... maybe 30 years ago. u can get a stout 1000 hp short block done for $5k. THATS too expensive? SMH!

and the rods are not the weak point the pistons are so if timing is reasonable and the boost is up the rods take the abuse ALL DAY LONG if TUNED PROPERLY and doesn't DETONATE!

It's not an opinion of if. I personally know people who have windowed blocks at less horsepower with good tunes (Lund). And these aren't 18 year olds burning holes in the ground at every redlight. That's a fact my statement is based on. The rest of your post was ok...i'll just let this guy vent. But when you said the rods are not the weak point, i literally fell over laughing. The best in the biz say they are. Again...a fact. So keep going to 1000hp on that stock long block. We'll see your new post within a year titled "Who sells the best short blocks for the money?".

my13Elenor

Established Member
It's not an opinion of if. I personally know people who have windowed blocks at less horsepower with good tunes (Lund). And these aren't 18 year olds burning holes in the ground at every redlight. That's a fact my statement is based on. The rest of your post was ok...i'll just let this guy vent. But when you said the rods are not the weak point, i literally fell over laughing. The best in the biz say they are. Again...a fact. So keep going to 1000hp on that stock long block. We'll see your new post within a year titled "Who sells the best short blocks for the money?".

Your so insightful, thank you for opening our eyes.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Softballer77

Established Member
Geesh. Some people just take things way to personal.

Good luck with that engine rebuild. Especially after you chastised me for saying the rods are the weak link and how your's will last forever, then you say the main reason for rebuilding is due to the rods.

For every person who does posts like these, there are 10 vendors smiling waiting on that phone call for a rebuild, needed or not. Oh wait...they already got them. I was right after all...

Don't take things so personal. We all don't know as much as the other guy, but somethings are already common knowledge. Defending against it doesn't help the case when it's that obvious. Enjoy it while it runs, and that's all you an do. It won't last forever.

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
Wrong. I told you it had the same chances to snap a rod at 875 as it did at 750 and there isnt a magical number that snaps a rod. Mine lastest a long time, many races and I proved it wasnt as volatile as others claim. For what I plan to do in '17 and the amount of events I want to hit, upgrading was logical.

Softballer77

Established Member
So they can snap at 750, but they aren't as "volatile" as everyone else says.

People don't believe that because the ratio of well tuned engines snapping at 750 compared to 800+ out there isn't even in the same ballpark. Sure, it helps to have a good tuner, but even the best tuners tell you that you are on borrowed time if you go over a certain hp level. I've seen almost everyone of them say it on here. One person isn't going to change their mind.

Let me give you credit with your engine. You have pulled it off so far, and to many you have been lucky. Let's just say that and get it over with...you have been lucky even if by taking care of your engine, because I think we both can agree that at some point they will go. That's all I'm saying in the first place. Even if one manages to squeak by. And if it wasn't a concern that they would, with your "plan for '17", you wouldn't be "logically upgrading". I think it's a great idea! And if you don't agree with that, well, that's fine. Everyone has their own experiences with their engines. The trend is the other way though.

I hope you understand that I'm just looking out for the little guy. It only helps those who want to safely make power and not be in a financial hole of an immediate $11,999k down the road on a shortblock to JDM with knowing there is a limit on how far they should push these engines with stock internals. As much as you and I can afford our vehicles and people on above posts can boast on how rebuilding these is comparatively cheap, many bought these as their dream car paying an ungodly bank note and don't have the means to rebuild immediately after someone talks them into throwing on a 2.4 up, 15% lower, and running 91 all the way up to 7000. That's real world.

There needs to be a disclaimer on these initial posts when people make this kind of power that not everyone can do it as successfully as you have. If they do, they should upgrade internals before doing so. And if they can't, stay at the lower end of the hp trail and leave the bigger stuff to the big boys. Especially if rebuilding later is no big deal to them financially as it may be for yourself.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread