TVS 2.3 being discontinued?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
And that's your "damn" priority.......... Believe it or not some of us spend the weekend at car shows NOT the damn race track. And doing it WITH a powder coated blower......... And a unicorn sitting on the side of the blower, although would get some attention at a car show, I don't think it would pull any trophies......

So, for me, the equation looks like this:

time spent driving car <<< time spent looking at the engine. I even go in the garage just to look at my Cobra.

I know a lot of guys here could care less about looks. I learned about the "priority" on this site when I initially posted pictures of my car's paint job.

All you who enjoy modifying your Cobra, I have ZERO issues with it. That's your "priority" and how you enjoy your car. But, you guys have all kinds of reliability issues whether it be bad alternators, broken half shafts, messed up clutches, problems with the tune, issues at WOT, fuel issues, belt slip and ultimately engine failure or non start issues. I get it. That's part of hot rodding. I know, been there done that. As a matter of fact my 65 is sitting in the garage without a drive train because of modifying issues.

Then when these cars come up for sale EVERYONE says get it checked, get a compression test, get a leak-down test, make sure it wasn't beat on and then put back to stock appearance.

So, with my Cobra I "choose" to focus on aesthetics instead of performance because the car performs well enough stock and I'm too old to be wrenching or lying on the ground these days replacing half shafts or transmissions or clutches, nor do I want to be running around with 20 year olds who post videos of themselves supposedly racing in "Mexico" or doing a rolling start on the highway.

That's great for some of you, not me............. So, go buy your flat black supercharger, enjoy your savings and enjoy your modifications. I'll keep painting and making my Cobra look good all while remaining at stock performance levels.
You do make some valid points. But I'd be lying if I said I don't go in the garage to check up on the "lady in red".

I detail my engine bay constantly. What can I say, I like fast cars and clean good looking ones all in one package.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01blckcobra

Established Member
eh.. I'd just have to blower nickle plated. less work than grinding the casting. last quote was $200 bucks.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
You do make some valid points. But I'd be lying if I said I don't go in the garage to check up on the "lady in red".

I detail my engine bay constantly. What can I say, I like fast cars and clean good looking ones all in one package.

I hear you Brady and I agree. Nothing wrong with the best of both worlds :D. Just drives me crazy that people think if you're not modifying your Terminator you're wasting your time.

I know I'm in the minority here with looks first, speed last. However, I don't go around trying to say speed is less important than looks in the Cobra world either. Ideally Cobra's are fast AND look good.

And sorry brother wasn't trying to HJ your thread. I think the TVS is a great supercharger. I just can't get one because it only comes in flat black and as Bob said, don't want to buy one, take it apart, powder coat it and then put it back together just to ruin the warranty.

zredfire04

Established Member
the part of your argument that i found objectionable is the one where you would make a performance choice based on color. The problem with that position is that color is easily changed, and doesn't require disassembling the new supercharger. Paint is paint, and powdercoat can be done without taking it apart. It's not ideal to do it that way, but it's possible.

for me personally, the color of the blower is certainly not a priority. if it were, i would simply choose to change the color of other parts to match (cam covers, etc).

at the end of the day, it's your car and your money...i'm not going to make decisions about what you do with them for you. i was just adding my perspective. i still have the stock eaton, wtf do i know?

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
A big reason I'll never get rid of this 2.3 whipple is the looooong snout. Highly polishable and is a nice contrast against the black case. Really sets off the pulley and the rest of the engine bay.

24153832427_b74810ac97_c.jpg

24153828337_7820a11d94_c.jpg

24153825367_9847077dac_c.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
the part of your argument that i found objectionable is the one where you would make a performance choice based on color. The problem with that position is that color is easily changed, and doesn't require disassembling the new supercharger. Paint is paint, and powdercoat can be done without taking it apart. It's not ideal to do it that way, but it's possible.

for me personally, the color of the blower is certainly not a priority. if it were, i would simply choose to change the color of other parts to match (cam covers, etc).

at the end of the day, it's your car and your money...i'm not going to make decisions about what you do with them for you. i was just adding my perspective. i still have the stock eaton, wtf do i know?

But people also act like VMP is the only 2.3 blower that performs. I've never heard anyone complain about the performance of their 2.3 Whipple or 2.4 KB. So if I can order a blower that will give the power I want and look how I want without me having to tear it apart that's the route I'm going to go. As we keep saying, do what makes you happy.

I can't imagine the blower seals working very well after going through a powder coat oven.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member

I get your point. However, although performance has nothing to do with looks directly (meaning something can be ugly as hell, but perform exceptionally well), looks can be a significant factor in making a purchase decision. Maybe I want to buy something that I do not have to modify or change because it already comes in the finish I'm looking for. That's my case is all I'm saying.

Based on my desired options, when looking at the performance of the TVS, Whipple and KB I would buy the Whipple because it's performance is comparable to the others, but it looks the best in my opinion. TVS has a nice design, but only comes in flat black. KB is just ugly as hell to me LOL. Whipple has a nice design and is available in various finishes.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
No real reason to debate finishes on a blower guys. It's all personal preference. Just like many other things with our cars.

I hear you Brady. I just said I wouldn't buy a TVS because it only comes in flat black. Guess I upset the TVS tried and true LOL. That wasn't my intent.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I hear you Brady. I just said I wouldn't buy a TVS because it only comes in flat black. Guess I upset the TVS tried and true LOL. That wasn't my intent.
It's all good. My comment wasn't directed towards anyone in particular. Just stating that not everyone likes the same thing.

Some love the 99-01 tail lights, others hate them. Some like borla stingers and ataks, I hate them.

The list is endless. At the end of the day, as long as you like your ride that's all that should matter.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
It's all good. My comment wasn't directed towards anyone in particular. Just stating that not everyone likes the same thing.

Some love the 99-01 tail lights, others hate them. Some like borla stingers and ataks, I hate them.

The list is endless. At the end of the day, as long as you like your ride that's all that should matter.

Oh, I understand you were not singling anyone out. I didn't take your comment personal. Just commenting and providing my point of view as I agree with you, this thread should not be a blower finish debate thread LOL.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
What color is your car and how may times have you painted it?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

My car has a triple color custom paint job. The car has only been painted once. The engine bay has a matching painted CAI tube and the trunk has a matching painted NOS bottle. Last year I decided to get the supercharger, pulley bridge and some other miscellaneous engine parts powder coated.

Based on my set up and preference I would want a polished or bright silver powder coated blower.

This would not look good with a flat black supercharger.

Battery cover.JPG

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Black looks great in my opinion. Especially if you accent it with the right colors to break it up. Cosmetics are opinionated though. Everyone has their own opinion and taste.

View attachment 1524714
In your case it does. In my case it would disappear in the engine compartment. Maybe if I had chrome valve covers it would work.

177802a3409e6c5383a08f90a1695a44.jpg

Av3ng3d

Established Member
The engine bay with the orange valve covers and VMP blower is not mine, I wish my engine bay were even half as nice as that lol.
That was a picture someone shared of their engine bay on VMP’s Facebook page in a posting where VMP requested pictures of custom powder coated or painted VMP blowers. It really caught my eye.

Users who are viewing this thread