TVS 03 Cobra vs 2.9 Whipple 03 Cobra

elcobrita

Established Member
Nice runs, pretty much even. How much boost are you each seeing? What are the other mods on the tvs?

intermatic

Established Member
Nice runs, pretty much even. How much boost are you each seeing? What are the other mods on the tvs?

I peaked at 19.6#s (stock exhaust manifolds).
From what I gathered, he has an O/R x-pipe and catback. I think his only power mods are the TVS w/ GT500 t/b and a CAI. Suspension-wise, he said he had the full FTBR IRS kit. He was also running slicks. I was running 315 R888s. Temperature-wise, it was in the lower 60s. I had a little be of spin in 2nd, but not too much really.
I believe he's on this forum, not sure how often he goes on tho. Hopefully he can chime in with his mods if I didn't get them all.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice runs! I'm running a tvs making about the same power as the two in this vid, cool to see a comparison!

intermatic

Established Member
Tight race!!! Nice video.
They were super tight! In the second run we shifted into 4th at the exact same time..sounded a little funny.

Nice runs! I'm running a tvs making about the same power as the two in this vid, cool to see a comparison!
Thanks man.
I was very curious to see how my car would match up. I wanted the TVS badly when I was in the market, but didn't want to risk running into a headache with passing emissions..especially up in NY where it's as strict as it is. I asked the guy I ran about it and he said he was able to pass, so maybe it wouldn't have been as bad as I imagined.

Yeah, tight race. You both have nice rides! :rockon:
Thank you!

stangfreak

Established Member
Im curious to see what your car puts down on a dyno jet. The boost is OK. Not the optimal boost for a 2.9. The combo can be a bit better. Big blower, cams, but its on stock manifolds and low boost.

Last edited:

sonicblew

Established Member
i raced my buddy with a 2.3 whipple and i have a 2.9 whipple. same setups same boost (22ish) same tuner only difference is his timing is 22-23* mine is 18* (power should be similar due to that) his was a little more snappy on the initial hit after that i think the 2.9 had more in it. i think that the larger 2.9 rotor pack takes just a little more to turn and get going. i wont say lag at all but the 2.3 blowers are lighter and will be easier to spin. if you get the boost and timing on that up in the 22-23 range on both respectively thatll make a HUGE difference.

thanks for sharing the vid

Last edited:

intermatic

Established Member
I would throw all my money at my car until I could beat him.
That would drive me nuts!:bash:
Lol, well I didn't expect a very different outcome honestly. I know the TVS is right on the 2.9's level on pump gas. I'm curious to see how our dyno graphs compare. I had minor spinning in 2nd, which may have attributed to him jumping out in 2nd. But then again, maybe I'm just looking for excuses lol.
Once the IRS gets some love with the FTBR kit this winter, I'll waste even more money and finally make the jump to E85..I'd like to do a lower and upper and spin the piss out it so I'm sitting around 25#s. At that point the R888s definitely won't cut it! Hopefully next spring if money permits.

you also have cams?
Yea, I have the comp cam stage 3's. Unfortunately I have no idea how much power they yielded me over the stock cams since I did all my power mods at once.
I'm sure the gains were pretty minimal..I mainly wanted my car to have that lopey grunt to it.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Nice runs. I thought the 2.9 was an easy 600+hp blower on our cars with the usual supporting mods? Either way, I can't wait to get a TVS blower

NMB2

Established Member
Very weak for a 2.9..... our 2.9 cars up here in Denver are making high 600's on pump gas. I wouldn't be very happy with my tuner if I was making sub 600's on that blower.

intermatic

Established Member
Very weak for a 2.9..... our 2.9 cars up here in Denver are making high 600's on pump gas. I wouldn't be very happy with my tuner if I was making sub 600's on that blower.

lol my car certainly isn't weak..glad you like your dyno numbers guy

Users who are viewing this thread