Turned to the dark side!!

txturbogs

Established Member
I pulled the trigger on a 2010 Cobra two weeks ago. I love the car, but come on!! Whats up with the rattles and the damn windows squeaking? Oh yeah, I am a GM guy...I have an rx7 waiting to get the LS1 transplant done...a 425 C.I engine...oh yeah...

Anyway, I'm looking to leave the stock SC, but put a 2.6 pulley, X-pipe and a charge cooler. Oh yes, I'm upgrading the lower and upper control arms. Do you think a set of FR springs will affect the ride quality?

I live in el Paso, so I see constant 100 plus temps during summer. Should I upgrade all other cooling options such as radiator, IC tank, coolant resevoir tank, etc? Those Moroso tanks look very nice in black.

I've been told that the clutch is rather weak, but at the same time I read up and it is not that bad...what gives?

BTW, the car is black with silver stripes. I'm looking to remove the stripes and just leave it all black.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Here on a SVT forum we don't usually refer to our own as the dark side, but welcome to the club.

FRPP springs work great. I like mine anyways.

The Shelby Radiator and a Reische thermostat are on my "to do" list, but the IC and coolant tanks are definitely a good idea. Especially in El Paso. Besides capacity, they flow a lot better, and can accommodate ice.

The 2010 clutch is made of organic materials. (god damn hippies) I've heard it has a lighter clutch feel w/ a little less chatter. But I also remember reading that it won't hold up to higher horsepower levels like the '07-'09 models.

At least you got the fastest color. I had my silver stripes off for a while before I put the SS style stripes on and it looked GREAT. I've been thinking going back to straight black myself.

txturbogs

Established Member
no offense

I meant no disrespect towards the community with the dark side thing. Like I said, I was a chevy person...but nevermind that. Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
I'm working on my own Rx7 swap also. I'm doing a budget build though to try to see how cheap I can do it. I've got a complete Rx7 GXL FC + LT1 + 4L60E for 900 bucks so far. I think I can finish this up for <1400 bucks. Anyways, post more about your rx7 please.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
+1 I had a Rx7 hand me my ass one day on the interstate. We took off from 65ish and he left me like I was standing still. Big HP in a light car = peace the &*%# out!

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
OP, put that x-pipe and some KR's or SLP Loudmouths on your car and you won't hear the creeks or rattles, trust me on this...

chuckstang

Established Member
lol a GM guy complaining about rattles ?

Have you ever actually driven a GM product?

I have no rattles in mine even with all my suspension mods

mullens

Established Member
The 2010 clutch is far superior to my 08. I haven't read one thread where someone blew one up due to high HP. It's one of the best improvements from previous models.
I'll probably leave the cooling system alone because I'm staying with the pro cal tune. With a new thermostat, you need to adjust the fans which requires a custom tune.

Colleton

Established Member
I'm in NW Florida where the summers are very hot/humid. After seeing how hot the engine routinely got last summer, I bought the Shelby radiator and heat exchanger along with the Reische thermostat this winter. They'll go on the car within the next couple of weeks.

I had the FRPP Handling Pack installed on my car shortly after buying it (springs, adjustable shocks, sway bars, panhard bar, strut tower brace). It made a huge difference in handling for the car, and with the shocks set to medium the ride quality is great. The car looks much better after being lowered too. I don't think the strut tower brace will fit on the 2010 model, but everything else will.

Adding a vote for the FR500 S (KR) mufflers. They are absolutely perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread