Turn signal issues...

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
All lights in the Cobra work except for the passenger side turn signal, which isn't working at all. Driver's side works fine.

I swapped bulbs and the bulbs are good

I see no corrosion in the bulb socket at all

I see no wires that are corroded or sliced.

Blinker fluid is full and has no leaks in the reservoir.

At a loss and trying to get the Cobra inspected so I can drive her on the street :cryying:

BeanCrusher

Sidetracked yet again.
Established Member
Perhaps it is time for a blinker fluid and filter change?

Does the RF park lamp work?
Does the right turn indicator flash on the instrument cluster?

If you answered No and Yes I would suspect a bad ground for that light
If you answered Yes and No I would suspect the multifunction switch. I believe that each corner has its own circuit coming out of the switch, so just because the RR turn lamp works does not mean the switch is good. At least that is the case in a 96.

If you answered some other way...I would suspect that I don't have a clue...

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Yes, the RF(driver's side) works.
Yes, the gauge cluster turn signal works and blinks erratically like a bulb is out.
No, I have no clue.

I've ordered a new parking light socket harness from LateModel. Don't really want to cut factory wires, but I hope that's all it is.

BeanCrusher

Sidetracked yet again.
Established Member
I meant the passenger side park light. Or on which ever side has the non-working turn light, I may have misunderstood which side was which.

If both park and turn doesn't work, the only thing that affects them both is the ground.

T.Bone

Established Member
My 97 did this when I first purchased it. It sat for a while and the grounds were corroded, couldn't really see anything but I cleaned all the sockets and replaced the bulbs and it has been good since.

Geno-04

Established Member
Had a similar problem on my 04 once except the hazards worked. Long story short it was the relay under the dash.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I am confused by your description. There are 4 turn signal bulbs on each side, one at the front, one in the instrument cluster and two in the rear. It is not clear from your description which bulb or bulbs are not working. Since the bulb in the cluster is working, you know the multifunction switch and flasher are working.

On the right side, there is a Orange/Light Blue wire that runs from the multifunction switch to all of the bulbs. You can turn on the right turn signal and check the center pin inside of the bulb socket for the front and both of the rear sockets for intermittent battery voltage with a voltmeter connected to a known good ground. If you don't see intermittent battery voltage on the center pins, you have a break in the signal wire.

You can use an ohmmeter to check the resistance of the side of each socket to a known good ground. It should be very close to 0 ohms. If any of them have infinite or large resistance, check for broken wires and bad grounds. All 4 of the rear turn signal bulbs are grounded to one point at the back of the car somewhere. Each front bulb is grounded to a different ground point somewhere in its side. The park lights all use the same ground points, so if they are working, the problem isn't the ground wires or corrosion at the ground point.

The only other thing I can think of is that the springs inside of the socket have failed and are not pressing the center connector pins to the bulb.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
I am confused by your description. There are 4 turn signal bulbs on each side, one at the front, one in the instrument cluster and two in the rear. It is not clear from your description which bulb or bulbs are not working. Since the bulb in the cluster is working, you know the multifunction switch and flasher are working.

On the right side, there is a Orange/Light Blue wire that runs from the multifunction switch to all of the bulbs. You can turn on the right turn signal and check the center pin inside of the bulb socket for the front and both of the rear sockets for intermittent battery voltage with a voltmeter connected to a known good ground. If you don't see intermittent battery voltage on the center pins, you have a break in the signal wire.

You can use an ohmmeter to check the resistance of the side of each socket to a known good ground. It should be very close to 0 ohms. If any of them have infinite or large resistance, check for broken wires and bad grounds. All 4 of the rear turn signal bulbs are grounded to one point at the back of the car somewhere. Each front bulb is grounded to a different ground point somewhere in its side. The park lights all use the same ground points, so if they are working, the problem isn't the ground wires or corrosion at the ground point.

The only other thing I can think of is that the springs inside of the socket have failed and are not pressing the center connector pins to the bulb.

Thanks Mark. You are correct, the rear bulbs are working, the indicator light inside the cluster is working and the front signal next to the headlight is not working....with the hazards or when the turn signal is on.

I went and stretched out the metal contacts a little so that they would have better contact with the bulb, this did not fix the issue. I will try to set up the ohm meter tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread