Votes: 44 46.3%
  • Supercharge it.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Add a Nitrous kit.

Votes: 9 9.5%

• Total voters

Harry Schneider

Established Member
Why? Why spend thousands on something and still only have 300 or so hp?
Trade the V-6 in for a late model GT and then at least you'll have a decent platform to start with. If you need to run a V-6, buy a lighter car.
Or...save the money you save on gas and buy a GT, Cobra, etc.

spike_africa

Established Member
well not everyone can afford a v8 or the gas they eat. Plus some people are just v6 guys. I dont see why so many people have a problem with v6's and modding them. To me as long as its not running loud exhaust its cool with me. Because we all know they will never sound good.

DSM Storm

Established Member
I guess it would all depend on how much cash your willing to spend and how much time/effort your willing to put in. A supercharger kit can cost you a few grand, earn you the power your looking to make and then its done with. Turbocharging can be an initial problem. First off there are tons of choices to go with. Not to mention your better off plotting an intercooled solution. You need to ask wether you want bottom end power or top end pull. Smaller chargers usually net you the quick boost response your looking for while largers blowers have more lag, and usually make power at the top end. Nitrous can also be used to spool a large turbo. I used to spool a 56 trim blower to 30 psi with a 100 shot. Turbo cars can also adjust boost on the fly. I can go from 13psi to 35 psi with the touch of a button. As far as reliability, dont believe everything you read on here. Turbos can be really reliable. Since they are oil lubricated you need to be on top of oil changes. Most charger failures are due to lack of lubrication or oil caking. Oil filters for your turbo go a long way.

If I were in your shoes, and you were me... Id order some tubing, bust out the tig welder, and go to work on a SS turbo header setup and a front mount setup. I can assure you a good turbo setup will run you some dough, and in the end, the small stuff will nickel and dime you to death.

Good luck,
Storm

T76 Mach

Established Member
Ok no flames intended,but my buddy bought a 99 v6 stang (Splitport year) for $2,800.Bought a custom made turbo kit for $1,800 minus the turbo.Put a ebay turbo on it $250.Dyno tuned a safe/mild tune for 12 psi and ran down a 03 cobra at the track.03 cobras mods where 2.80 pulley,cold air kit and bassani x-pipe.Cobra ran a 12.18 and the V6turbo ran a 12.21 to close to call.All for under $5,000 with V6 insurance and respect from V8's.You tell me which one you would rather have.V6power.net is full of these turbo cars.Oh incase your wondering who was driving the 03 cobra.It was me :eek: I wanted to spray him but didn't want to hurt his feelings in front of all the other board memebers (V6power.net)that where there to see this race. :p

Last edited:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Great job bringing back a 2 year old thread guys.

And anyone who doesn't like supercharger whine isn't from America.

Worst thread ever.

ScrpnVNM

Established Member
If you want a turbo V6 mustang soooooo bad, go for it!! It'll be something different, and actually preety nice, imho. Just know that, like someone said, plan on shedding some good dough. You can't just slap a pair of turbos on a V6 and call it a day. You NEED supporting mods, which include upgrading anything that can break if you want the thing to last. Remember, the V6 mustangs aren't known for their performance and for good reason. They're the BASE mustang which = cheap. So cheap, weak stuff is what you're going to be working with.

01trublue cobra

Established Member
spike_africa said:
well not everyone can afford a v8 or the gas they eat. Plus some people are just v6 guys. I dont see why so many people have a problem with v6's and modding them. To me as long as its not running loud exhaust its cool with me. Because we all know they will never sound good.

News flash!!!! Your gas mileage isn't going to get better with a poweradder. In fact with a power adder your mileage will be worse than a V8 car. Also a stock NA V8 and stock V6 has close to the same gas mileage. Think about it its the same chasis, but the V8 doesn't have to work as har as the V6 to move it.

Antagon

Established Member
01trublue cobra said:
News flash!!!! Your gas mileage isn't going to get better with a poweradder. In fact with a power adder your mileage will be worse than a V8 car. Also a stock NA V8 and stock V6 has close to the same gas mileage. Think about it its the same chasis, but the V8 doesn't have to work as har as the V6 to move it.

My GN gets 20+ mpg......

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
There is a kid around here with a built up V-6, a turbo and a sponsor that runs mid 9's. Granted, that set-up probably cost a minimum of 15,000 dollars. By the time you build up a V-6 to take all that power, you would have been better off buying a 5.0, building it with H/C/I and running a shot of juice thru it.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
8urls1 said:
Ok no flames intended,but my buddy bought a 99 v6 stang (Splitport year) for $2,800.Bought a custom made turbo kit for $1,800 minus the turbo.Put a ebay turbo on it $250.Dyno tuned a safe/mild tune for 12 psi and ran down a 03 cobra at the track.03 cobras mods where 2.80 pulley,cold air kit and bassani x-pipe.Cobra ran a 12.18 and the V6turbo ran a 12.21 to close to call.All for under $5,000 with V6 insurance and respect from V8's.You tell me which one you would rather have.V6power.net is full of these turbo cars.Oh incase your wondering who was driving the 03 cobra.It was me :eek: I wanted to spray him but didn't want to hurt his feelings in front of all the other board memebers (V6power.net)that where there to see this race. :p

I'd rather have the Cobra.

THink of it this way. I'd rather have a stock Viper SRT-10 then a Whippled 04 Cobra...at the end of the day, you take home a Viper instead of a Mustang.

Same thing applies. At the end of the day, I would rather take home a slightly slower Cobra then a V6 Mustang.

Nasty Notch

Resident Dissident
Established Member
01trublue cobra said:

The V6 wont have to work as hard either with a power adder, and what do you think the result of that is going to be? :loser:

cuban3jumper

Established Member
TMAturbo.com the only great place to get a full turbo kit for our sixers. The difference in power estimates is due to the psi you choose to go with. Check out his dyno graph link http://tmaturbo.com/dyno.htm there you can see what different combos and different psi are able to get. Not saying you'll get those numbers since each car is different but it gives you a good idea. Most of them are running stock bottom ends and heads, almost stock everything just the turbo kit some have more built set-ups.

I like this site for what it is a SVT site but for V6 anything don't waste your time, no disrespect intended, go over to v6power.net and get some good tech from the guys who are leading the way in the V6 mustang world.

If you want to run under 12's for "cheap" and "easy" get a V8 there is no way around that. But if you're like me and just do this for fun and a side hobby the sixer is fun to mod responds very well to power adders of all kinds, I'm running nitrous, then go ahead and turbo it. If you don't want to spend that much and want low end power though nothing beats nitrous on our cars. I'm running faster 1/8 mile times then teal_beast a member on v6power.net and he makes WAY more peak HP and TQ then I do. But my car is set-up for low end where as his Turbo set-up shines up top.

Before I get too off topic v6power.net the best site for v6 mustang tech period.

Oh and FYI: For the 99+ sixers there is no KB or whipple set-up. The Super Coupes have swap options because they came with the eaton and are actually very different from the Mustang 3.8L engine.

seagel1000

Established Member
cuban3jumper said:
TMAturbo.com the only great place to get a full turbo kit for our sixers. The difference in power estimates is due to the psi you choose to go with. Check out his dyno graph link http://tmaturbo.com/dyno.htm there you can see what different combos and different psi are able to get. Not saying you'll get those numbers since each car is different but it gives you a good idea. Most of them are running stock bottom ends and heads, almost stock everything just the turbo kit some have more built set-ups.

I like this site for what it is a SVT site but for V6 anything don't waste your time, no disrespect intended, go over to v6power.net and get some good tech from the guys who are leading the way in the V6 mustang world.

If you want to run under 12's for "cheap" and "easy" get a V8 there is no way around that. But if you're like me and just do this for fun and a side hobby the sixer is fun to mod responds very well to power adders of all kinds, I'm running nitrous, then go ahead and turbo it. If you don't want to spend that much and want low end power though nothing beats nitrous on our cars. I'm running faster 1/8 mile times then teal_beast a member on v6power.net and he makes WAY more peak HP and TQ then I do. But my car is set-up for low end where as his Turbo set-up shines up top.

Before I get too off topic v6power.net the best site for v6 mustang tech period.

Oh and FYI: For the 99+ sixers there is no KB or whipple set-up. The Super Coupes have swap options because they came with the eaton and are actually very different from the Mustang 3.8L engine.

Thanks Rolo,i was about to add that..

yeah check out andy's turbo setup's!

Guys on there braking the 350+ wheel range with about 3.5-4k...

Or like myself am doing a M112 project on my 6.

My current n/a setup consist of bolt on's and a cam doing 210 wheels and 230 wtq. With this M112 and a 2.9 Metco im expecting 300-330 wheel hp and about 340-350 wtq.. I know my guess is kind of sketchy but sort of have an idea that it MIGHT fall around there. A guy before me is making 262 wheels and 282 wtq @ 6psi with a stock pulley (3.55). His mods are a custom intake (with stock air tube),UDP,GT Take off Exhst,tuned of course.. I have a few more bolts than that and a cam to help the blower along with the 2.9 im going to install. Then comes the aftermarket mods like TB,Intake. And drop in a 8.8 to handle the power. All that, except the aftermarket mods for the M112, for about 2.5-3k installed and everything else...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread