• Supercharge it.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Add a Nitrous kit.

Votes: 9 9.5%

• Total voters

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
If you are not interested in a v-8 may I suggest a Merkur or TC thunderbird, I have a built to the gills merkur that should be at least 400 rwhp and with total cost of the car I have less the 8500 in it. The 2.3's are tough little motors and there is a very large aftermarket for these. I am having tuning issues with mine only because there is noone around here to dyno-tune. But if you are stuck with a v-6 stang I say turbo it if thats what you are stuck on.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I didn't read everyone's post but here goes. Ok, do you really think you're going to make 375 to the wheels on a stock motor'd V-6 mustang with a turbo? Dude, you might make that much for an hour, but with the amount of boost you're gonna have to run, you're break shit REAL fast.

Some guy in MM&FF had completely built V-6 with worked over heads and EVERYTHING he could think of with a 9lbs supercharger. I think he got about 275rwhp out of it. I put $1600 into my stock 5.0 motor this weekend and I guarantee you I'm putting out more than that.

If you want 400rwhp for under $10,000. I suggest you buy a clean 5.0, get heads, cam, and intake and a 9lbs blower. 87-92 5.0's have forged pistons so you'll probably be good up to right around 400rwhp with the stock bottom end. You can find a clean fox body for $5,000 and you can probably get all the mods you need for that power for around $4000-$5000 if you shop around.

blown96bird

Established Member
v6 mustang

It depends what year your mustang is. If it is a early 94-95 v6 I would try to get a wrecked 94-95 supercoupe and transfer the supercharged v6 and all wiring and emmision compents along with the transmission unless yours is a 5 speed.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by TTI6Banger
i make plenty of power :coolman:

THANK YOU! Look at the torque guys! 370+ on the tires. Factor in that the 6's are a bit lighter and this is one very capable car.

Yeah the 8.8 swap isn't a bad idea. That is a cheap upgrade though. Emissions are diagnostic port check on 1996 and up cars now. Electronic trickery will get you by everytime. Just ask the GT guys wearing MIL Eliminators for their off road pipes. Not sure if your state has the random sniffer test, that might be the only problem.

tommyhil4_6

Buh Bye
Originally posted by TTI6Banger
i make plenty of power :coolman:

Good power for a V6 definately, at 8lbs I should be over 550 ft lbs at the wheels easily with HP around 460-500 depending on temp and my altitude. All in the tune but i'm not going to go to aggresive till I build my new short block.

Vanride69

west bound and down
Established Member
first, the buick grand national was a set up car, the V-6 mustang is not. GN's fuggin squat and haul better than any other stock car I have ever seen. I have seen many low 10 second GN's with slicks that dont even pull the front end off. This is because of the way the suspension is setup which I know but dont feel like going into explanation where undoubtebly someone will argue anyway.....basically, V-6 Mustang wont do that without some suspension modifications and even then will still have more traction issues than the GN. Just saying, DONT COMPARE A V-6 MUSTANG TO A GN!

Also, poopnut, 87-89 5.0's have forged pistons, some 90 models, and none of the 91-93's. They have "hyper-u-cracked-it" pistons. And all of the above have cast crank and rods and need a bottom end build up for a 400 rwhp car. You can take a stock fox to around 330 with only heads, cam, intake, injectors, and properly calibrated mass-air of course. In fact, holley offers a systemax kit that is heads, cam, intake for 5.0's that costs around $2200. Other than that, you can build your own setup for cheaper if you shop around.

Finally, for those of you telling him to turbo and not do a V-8 swap for insurance purposes, insurance aint gonna know if you do a V-8 swap unless you tell them. They go by VIN number which will always read as a V-6. That is why a lot of foxbody guys buy original 4 banger cars and swap out to V-8's....cheaper insurance with the same power.

I understand that you dont want a V-8 and respect that you would rather have a turbo kit as the glamour of saying you have a turbo is greater than that of saying you have a V-8, but keep in mind....there is no replacement for displacement!

Flip me over I'm done. LOL!!

stangfreak

Established Member
a supercharger sounds gay to you? why? have you ever driven a supercharged roots type car? what im about to say is by no means comparing a pro drag car to our daily driver cars, but some of the fastest drag cars use roots type blowers, like john force.

once again i know they are totally different i know this. heck if you get a v8 you can order the whipple 3.3L blower and make INSANE power

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
i love the super charger whine... i actually didnt know anyone didnt... personal preferance i guess... I understand about insurance, and i think turbo would be easier than an engine swap, but id personally go super. Its easier to install, and you'll feel it more when just driving around normally, low end torque makes for fun rides :) thats just my opinion though...

juiced96snake

BOSS 2511
Established Member
Well I agree the insurance company isnt going to know if you swap it for a V8...in fact if you wanted to Mr. Honest...call them and see what they say once you turbo it or what ever...most likey they will drop you....I have seen it happen...that's worst case but I know they will jack your insurance up to that of a V8 regardless....so what ever you do dont tell them.

Bottom end power will depend on the supercharger/turbo. If you put a small turbo on it will come to life real fast down low. Centrifical type chargers dont make squat down low compared to a turbo...roots style on the other hand is the oppisite way around.

If it were me I would do what they did in 5.0 mustang mag recently. This girl had a V6 swapped it for a DOHC cobra motor and a T-56. Install was really easy looking to me.

IMO trying to make a V6 fast is like polishing a turd...when you are done it's still a turd. Spending all that money to make a V6 to do what V8 does stock seems like a waste of time and money.....but hey that's me. It's like these stupid civic guys spending 10 grand to make there cars just as fast as my car stock. Hell with the money they would have saved on just getting a fast car to begin with they could have paid for insurance for 5 years easy....by that time you will be old enough to where insurance wont be that expensive....hell I only pay $620 every 6 months for full coverage and I have a DUI and an at fault accident....I dont need a lecture on driving drunk so save it...I learned my lesson.

If you do happen to see anything close to 300hp just remember those guys at 5.0 mustang snapped the V6 rear the first time they floored it and that was just a stock V8 making way less torque.

Send all complants to me via PM thanks!

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
Go to the junkyard and pick up a motor, wiring, and ecu from a merkur xr4ti, thunderbird turbocoupe, or if you are lucky an svo mustang ('86 is best). If your car is an automatic throw a mild c4 in it, otherwise find a good t5. The auto might be better imo since you can put a stall converter in and it is not as rough on parts (rear end :) ). 2.3's are badass motors, ford built them quite stout from the factory and getting about 300whp would not be an issue on stock internals. F*ck the 6 and go forced 4 or 8, you won't regret it. Just my .02. :D :D :D

pottsy

Established Member
Insurance and gas mileage shouldn't be considered factors, really...at least they weren't for me. I just went from a '97 V6 to a '96 Cobra, and while the actual price of the car wasn't exactly cheap, my insurance only went up slightly and I get just as good gas mileage with the 4V and 4.10's...

I would definately look around and try and find a cheaper V8 because you'll have a better starting point from which to mod. It's your money, I'm just saying that if you have 10k to spend I wouldn't be looking at V6's. :)

Whizzle

Established Member
Shoe72943 said:
Ok, I am pretty new to this board. I am on other boards and have discussed this a little bit. But I was wondering what everybody thinks about Turbocharging a V6 Mustang. What all would I need besides the Turbocharger kit for me to get max horsepower? I have already found a kit for it that gurantees from 275-375 RWHP. That sounds pretty good to me. I just need to know what else would be a good thing to buy for it.

please dont tell me you have a webcam picture of yourself as your sig:kaboom:

spike_africa

Established Member
The 3.8L is a tuff motor, there are alot of 300+rwhp cars running totally stock internals. My freinds car that i swaped a 00 3.8 into (his car is a 94 which has shitty heads and intake setup hence the swap) had a ATi procharger at 11psi and just exhuast made 311rwhp and 325ft lbs. he then added twin 16g's and is making 388rwhp and 435ftlbs at 15psi. There are more guys running higher boost or even the same boost at much higher level's of power.

Hell Justin at VMptuning.com is pushing 17psi and over 450rwhp through a junkyard 3.8 motor.

But if its a manual car a 8.8 swap is gonna be a must.

Users who are viewing this thread