Turbo Vs Centri Vs Roots

WastedGate

Established Member
I am positive that there is a thread on here about this but some how in the search didnt really see anything.

But if you guys dont mind I was just wondering what your opinions were on each, talking with my buddy he says turbo systems are a pain in the ass for keeping a tune and typically are in for a rebuild after 20k miles. But god I never realized the sound of a 4.6 with a turbo system...Awesome!!!!

His car is a built gt with a paxton and that thing is a rocket ship, so after cruising around with him I have no complaints with that setup.

Ofcoarse I'm in the market for an 03-04 cobra so gotta have opinions about the roots style charger. People that put on the K/B systems and as long as they are tuned right and setup up accordingly, I see the upper 500hp - mid 600hp range with I could definately live with. Just gotta be nastier than my buddies ride lol. Thanks for the opinions and infor guys. thanks

Marcus

01yellercobra

Established Member
What's your budget? I did a turbo install on a buddies 97 GT. The install was a bit of a pain. He hasn't had any issues with the tune so far. Granted, it's not his DD, so take it for what it's worth. If you're looking for an 03/04 I'd just go the twin screw route. You'll make plenty of power and won't have to swap too much to make it work.

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Anything is pretty much gonna need a rebuild after 20k miles.

Here's the run down,,

Twin screw= heat soak and an average of about 600whp on pump with instant boost. Takes power to run it...

Centri= big power with not much heat soak but doesn't have instant boost. Takes power to run it....

Turbo= big power with no heat soak, doesn't have instant boost but it takes "Zero" power to run it.

Twin screws are cool but heal soak like hell! They feel faster than a rocket ship with the instant boost but there a pita.

Centris are awesome! They pull like a rhinoceros up top but as I said before, they don't have instant boost so you have to be geared correctly to stay in boost with a manual.

Turbos are ridiculous! It's plain scary when you hit full boost with a big turbo! I love em because it takes less boost to reach your power goals because it's no strain on the motor. But again it doesn't have instant boost, but if you chose the correct turbo size for your car then you'll stay in boost between gears.

I've had turbo,2.3 whipple, 3.4 whipple and my good buddy has a f1 procharger on his car. So this isn't hear say, I hope this was use full!

Jay

WastedGate

Established Member
Definately going to be keeping it manual, into driving it not just stomp and hang on lol. Budget isnt really the issue not trying to sound like an ass, I was just trying to gather info. If i do have the ability to pick up a Term. I will start really worrying about the cash issue cause I might be able to build a NASTY gt for about the same cost., Thanks for the info guys love to cram the info as much as I can.

SlwSVT

Established Member
I have had high compression motors, nitrous, centrifugals, turbo, whipple and I am back to a centrifugal. A properly setup centrifugal car will run right up there with a properly setup turbo car. The twin screws make great instant torque, but lack the top end to compete with the other 2. A turbo will definately make the most power on the dyno. But that does not mean it will be the fastest. I have a YSI set up on my z and have been known to jump hard out in front of turbo cars and run away from them. If you were going auto, a turbo would be a helluva a match. But with a manual setup I would lean towards a blower. I think any of the choices will get you to the 600-700rwhp range without a problem.

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
I have had high compression motors, nitrous, centrifugals, turbo, whipple and I am back to a centrifugal. A properly setup centrifugal car will run right up there with a properly setup turbo car. The twin screws make great instant torque, but lack the top end to compete with the other 2. A turbo will definately make the most power on the dyno. But that does not mean it will be the fastest. I have a YSI set up on my z and have been known to jump hard out in front of turbo cars and run away from them. If you were going auto, a turbo would be a helluva a match. But with a manual setup I would lean towards a blower. I think any of the choices will get you to the 600-700rwhp range without a problem.

Very true!

In my eyes to have a turbo setup setup perfect it needs a auto. The centri is kinds like a turbo that's reacts better with a 5-6 speed.

I'm going turbo with 6 speed but I do understand that I will wind up throwing a auto in later.

Chances50

Established Member
All depends what you want out of your car, I'm a centri fan, couple buddy's have KB's and they are fun I like like the way a centri blower pulls better, and they are more controllable on the street from a dig.

JP_Stang

Established Member
I have never owned a roots or twin screw blower car, but I have several buddies that have them and I have had the oppurtunity to drive them. I have owned N/A, nitrous, turbo and now own my first centri. The twin screws are alot of fun down low, but as mentioned before, hard to control and lack the top end. There is not a feeling like hitting full boost on properly setup turbo car, but I felt like I was fixing something on those cars all the time! I love my centri setup! It isn't dangerous down low and pulls HARD all the way to redline. Plus, the centri's seem to be the lowest maintenance that I have experienced so far. Hope that helps! Good luck with your decision!

Riptide

Established Member
KB twinscrew here and I love the power but concur - heat soaks a bitch on 85+ degree days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

pacific4v

Established Member
Is e85 an option for a fuel in area? If so build a 10-11:1 compression shortblock and run a centri or turbo. The higher compression will keep it from being too sluggish until it sees boost. And you'll also make more power with the higher compression when in boost compared to low compression motor. That's pretty much my plan for my build least.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
Do I even need to say how I feel about turbos? Big power on 93 pump and with the new billet wheel turbos you dont have lag like the old days. If you want even shorter spool times swap to an auto and bang the gears with out a clutch. It is down right scary fast!

Wildcard

Established Member
I run 10:1 turbo motor and it's a blast in and out of boost. Turbos do cause some horsepower to run. They are a restriction in the exhaust, so they do cause backpressure, but the hp to run the turbo is very negligible, and practically insignificant.

I have owned all variants of the power adders listed. Roots was fine for the street, but left me hanging at 120 mph. Centri pulled like the world was coming to an end, but annoyed me on the belt slip and pulley changes. Turbo, if you are building, is dependent on the design and piping requirements. If it is setup wrong it will be nothing but problems, overboosting, clearance issues, backpressure... But if it is built right then it is an amazing setup. Torque, power, adjustability of when you want the torque to come in via ramping, I love turbos and perfer them on my vehicles.*

Now for the rebuild, I don't really understand that statement. The tune is in the computer, if the tune is right the tune should not be dissolving over time. That is a tuning/tuner issue, and not a wide spread concern. And the rebuild, if your car is setup right and tuned right then it should be fine, and last you in the long term. If the kit needs to be rebuilt in 20 k then it is either a design issue or metal fatigue caused by coated pipes or heat wrapped pipes, but even that would surprise me, in 20 k. I would be extremely amazed to see that become an issue. You are only in boost about 5% of the time, so it should not have large effects on your cars/engine life.

Last edited:

GoatSlayer

Banned
Just switched from centri to PD blowers and i am never looking back. Centris you have to rev them up to feel the power unlike PD blowers. I just love the fact that i have power even in overdrive gears. Centris you get to deal with belt alignment issues, and i hated having one belt run all the accessories, but once you get into the high rmps, hold on for dear life. Now with the PD blowers like others have mentioned, heat soak is a bitch but its worth it when you have full boost at 2800rpms.

WastedGate

Established Member
E85 isnt really available in my area so Im just going to tune for 93. With all this info, its seeming like I might need to adjust my sights and look for a 99-01 cobra and build either a certri or turbo setup. The funniest thing is for some reason I am so hung up on the T56..lol

01yellercobra

Established Member
E85 isnt really available in my area so Im just going to tune for 93. With all this info, its seeming like I might need to adjust my sights and look for a 99-01 cobra and build either a certri or turbo setup. The funniest thing is for some reason I am so hung up on the T56..lol

You can always swap in a T-56. That's what I ended up doing with my set up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread