Turbo spits oil on start up

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
The turbo can sit as long as you'd like and the seals won't go bad, the seals are metal, like piston rings.

You didn't mention in your initial post about the water ingestion, which I suspect is the root of your problem and I'd suggest a rebuilt.

You mention the shaft has play, is it in/out play, or up/down? A bit of up/down play is normal, but in/out play there should be none.

I've never heard of a screen or restrictor built into a turbo, I doubt this turbo has one.

Your drain looks good, not likely the culprit.

Last edited:

carguy19

Established Member
The screen/restrictor is usually in the fitting that attaches to the housing.

A little play in the shaft is normal, but it cant hurt to have someone inspect it.

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
The turbo can sit as long as you'd like and the seals won't go bad, the seals are metal, like piston rings.

You didn't mention in your initial post about the water ingestion, which I suspect is the root of your problem and I'd suggest a rebuilt.

You mention the shaft has play, is it in/out play, or up/down? A bit of up/down play is normal, but in/out play there should be none.

I've never heard of a screen or restrictor built into a turbo, I doubt this turbo has one.

Your drain looks good, not likely the culprit.

Im going to get it check since the turbo did ingest water. The car was at full operating temp, so the cold winter water Im sure wasnt good for a hot turbo. LIke you said Im just going to start with the turbo then go from there. Ill just have to rule out everthing first. The turbo just has a threaded npt hole for the brass fitting, no pervisions for a screen. The turbo has some up/down movement. This movement was noticable until this problem started. Thanks for everyones input

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member

Maybe in some OEM applications, and I've heard of people adding restrictors, but it's not something that's just going to come in his kit, or already be there from Precision.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member

Maybe in some OEM applications, and I've heard of people adding restrictors, but it's not something that's just going to come in his kit, or already be there from Precision.

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
I was completely wrong. Im not running a -8 drain line. I called my father and had him look at it for me. Im running a -10 drain line and according to the PTK instructions, it is a -10

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
I just got off the phone with precision turbo. They were very helpful. I talked to him about all the points that have been brought up. A restrictor is not recommended on a standard bearing turbo, unless there is some ungodly amount of oil pressure. He was saying that the turbo should see the same amount of oil pressure as the motor and a high volume oil pump will not have an affect of the seals Sometimes restrictor plates are recommended on ball bearing turbos if needed. The -10 return line is just fine as stated earlier. The turbo is going to cost about 200 to get rebuilt, unless wheels, housings exc need replaced.

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
I just got off the phone with precision turbo. They were very helpful. I talked to him about all the points that have been brought up. A restrictor is not recommended on a standard bearing turbo, unless there is some ungodly amount of oil pressure. He was saying that the turbo should see the same amount of oil pressure as the motor and a high volume oil pump will not have an affect of the seals Sometimes restrictor plates are recommended on ball bearing turbos if needed. The -10 return line is just fine as stated earlier. The turbo is going to cost about 200 to get rebuilt, unless wheels, housings exc need replaced.

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member

vemom93

how many times did you call them? :lol::lol::lol:

post whore :bash:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread