Turbo spits oil on start up

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
I have been having problems with the car smoking on start up. so I just pulled all the 02's and down pipe. I then started the car to see where smoke was coming from and where it wasnt coming from. After 1 min of starting the car i noticed that the turbo was spiting fresh oil out the turbine housing. Is this normal for this turbo, or is something wrong with the seals. The turbo does stop doing this once the engine is up to full operating temp. So now i know its not the valve seals. If the turbo seals r bad, what should i do

The turbo is a percision t-66

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
send the turbo off to have the seals replaced

I just talked to my neighbor who has a 9's rx7 and he said the samething. The turbo is brand new, it has 2k miles on it. I bought the turbo from proturbokits 5 yrs ago. I wonder if they will take it back, or would it be easier to have someone else just do it. How much would that cost.

Killer95GT302

Established Member
Its a bummer when a basically new turbo has bad seals. Just something to check is that you have adequate oil flow out of the turbo as well.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
If you can't find anyone else, there is a guy on my forums that services turbos. You could join streetstangs.net and contact 'coupe' on there.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I don't think anything's wrong with your turbo. I think you're having drain issues. They're VERY temperamental with draining. If you're drain is too small, or too many bends, or many other reasons why they don't drain right.

What size drain line are you using? Are there any tight bends? Does it continuously go down to the oil pan or does it level out at all anywhere?

Does it smoke only after start up then go away once the car warms up? That's the first sign of drain issues. When the oil is cold it doesn't drain as fast as it should and it starts to backup in the turbo. Once the oil warms up it starts to drain better and the smoking goes away.

I've experienced just about every oil drain issue there is on my two turbo cars. It just takes some time and the right size oil lines to fix it. My car has smoked so bad before I actually had the state called on me, that was just a drain issue as well.

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
My drain is a -8 braided line that flows right into the pan. Im not 100% sure its the drain, but I will check. The car really didnt start smoking until I had about 100 miles on the car. I also did notice today that I have alot of play in the shaft. Im starting to think what happened , Is that I messed the bearings up when i sucked water up into the filter. It went through the turbo and filled the intercooler. I had to drain the intrcooler, thats how much water I sucked up. The reason I sucked up water is cause i didnt have wheel liners in at the time I got caught in a rainstorm.

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
here is pics of my drain.
camerapics321-1.jpg

engine8.jpg

Im still going to get it rebuilt anyway. The shaft has way to much play.

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
Oh yeah. Seals are def toast. You wouldn't put 5 year old tires on your car would you?

I agree with you, At first i wasnt sure if the seal were bad, but now i do since pulled the downpipe. Now i ahve to figure out who/where I can get the turbo rebuilt and if the turbo drain line is ok. I just got back into MI about an hour ago, so right now I cant even touch the car. I might just drive it up here and find someone in MI that can repair the turbo for me

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Is there a High-end Supra shop nearby? I'm sure if you hopped on precisions site they'd have a list of shops.

carguy19

Established Member
I have been having problems with the car smoking on start up. so I just pulled all the 02's and down pipe. I then started the car to see where smoke was coming from and where it wasnt coming from. After 1 min of starting the car i noticed that the turbo was spiting fresh oil out the turbine housing. Is this normal for this turbo, or is something wrong with the seals. The turbo does stop doing this once the engine is up to full operating temp. So now i know its not the valve seals. If the turbo seals r bad, what should i do

The turbo is a percision t-66

I cant promise you this is the issue, but on the oil feed side of the turbo there is a little restrictor plate or screen to lower the pressure and force of the oil coming into the turbo. When I put my subaru together, the company forgot to install the little screen and when I drove the car it looked like a cropduster. (the same thing that happened to you happened to me) the missing screen caused oil to be forced out of the seals of the turbo.

I installed the screen and it fixed it without the seals going bad thank god.

A week later the car went 11.30 @ 124 not too shabby for a stock subaru 4 cyl. :D

vemom93

I don't think anything's wrong with your turbo. I think you're having drain issues. They're VERY temperamental with draining. If you're drain is too small, or too many bends, or many other reasons why they don't drain right.

What size drain line are you using? Are there any tight bends? Does it continuously go down to the oil pan or does it level out at all anywhere?

Does it smoke only after start up then go away once the car warms up? That's the first sign of drain issues. When the oil is cold it doesn't drain as fast as it should and it starts to backup in the turbo. Once the oil warms up it starts to drain better and the smoking goes away.

I've experienced just about every oil drain issue there is on my two turbo cars. It just takes some time and the right size oil lines to fix it. My car has smoked so bad before I actually had the state called on me, that was just a drain issue as well.

agree 100 %. if its not a seal issue, its your feed and drain lines. I suggest nothing less than a 10 al line draining. This was an issue I had with the ptk gen 3 kit with my t-70, but after fixing the drain line all was good.

Last edited by a moderator:

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
I cant promise you this is the issue, but on the oil feed side of the turbo there is a little restrictor plate or screen to lower the pressure and force of the oil coming into the turbo. When I put my subaru together, the company forgot to install the little screen and when I drove the car it looked like a cropduster. (the same thing that happened to you happened to me) the missing screen caused oil to be forced out of the seals of the turbo.

I installed the screen and it fixed it without the seals going bad thank god.

A week later the car went 11.30 @ 124 not too shabby for a stock subaru 4 cyl. :D

When i put the brass fitting in the turbo for the oil line I dont remember seeing this screen/restrictor plate. I am also running a bigger oil pump not compared to stock. But Im still thinking the turbo needs some attention. The turbo shaft has alot of play for being a new turbo. Is this normal or should it not move at all. This is my first turbo car, may last car was superchaged

Killer95GT302

Established Member
here is pics of my drain.
camerapics321-1.jpg

engine8.jpg

Im still going to get it rebuilt anyway. The shaft has way to much play.

Is this how it sits when everything is together? I would not rest the drain line against the crossover like that if it is. Is there any way that the line can sit behind the cross over instead so that it eliminates that 90* going into the pan or is there something in the way when its all put together? Even if the seals are bad I'd look at changing this. Also if you have a high volume oil pump, a -8 line might be small for the drain. You'll definitely rule out one of the 2 problems out when you get the turbo rebuilt, but thats how these things go sometimes.

Good luck, have a happy new year.

Users who are viewing this thread