Turbo kits/brands?

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
Who do you guys prefer?
HP
Hellion
?
I don't know many others... who sells kits for an 03 Cobra?
I'm looking into getting away from the stock Eaton, it doesn't have enough room for growth.

Fill me in on customer service, price, install, and power you're making!

Thanks a ton!

Joe

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
i run Hellion single turbo kit

THP twin turbos for me

How do you guys like them?
How much did the turbo kits cost you?
What kind of power are you making with what other mods/upgrades?

I'm at a fork in the road. Different blower or Turbo. I love the turbos but they are a bit more expensive it seems.

I really like how you can adjust the boost so easily if set up correctly.

TRBO VNM

pm replied to.

hellion
HPP
HP
THP

those are the main manufacturers available. then you have custom and ebay kits.

why not start out with your goals, expectations and what you want to do with the car.

also think about what you want out of the kit:
power
materials used
warranty
availability of kit
customer service before, during and after the sale
suspension used

pricing on kits are more than a blower upgrade, but to get the most out of the blower with adding long tubes, possible cams, etc, in the end, the cost difference isn't to bad.

Last edited:

ammizabad

Established Member
what is the bennifts and draw backs between single turbo and twin for a cobar

TRBO VNM

It is personal preference really and how your car is setup or what you are looking for to get out of it. Benefits and drawbacks are more dependent on what you want in the kit design.

Last edited:

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
pm replied to.
hellion
HPP
HP
THP
those are the main manufacturers available. then you have custom and ebay kits.
why not start out with your goals, expectations and what you want to do with the car.
also think about what you want out of the kit:
power
materials used
warranty
availability of kit
customer service before, during and after the sale
suspension used

pricing on kits are more than a blower upgrade, but to get the most out of the blower with adding long tubes, possible cams, etc, in the end, the cost difference isn't to bad.

Goals are to gain horsepower, I know once it starts its not going to stop so I'm thinking ahead to where I can have something to build off of and not have to redo it.
My car will definitely stay streetable but I would like to be able to put down quite a bit of horsepower, over time.
I am in no rush, which is why I am asking for information, opinions, numbers, prices, preferences and so on.
I would like to break into 600rwhp territory this year and then I'm sure the 7-800 area after that but obviously after I build up the rest of the car... drivetrain, suspension, fuel system, and possibly engine.

Thanks for everyones thoughts and replies

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
You can meet those HP goals with either type of kit. I'd recommend doing some research on a big single setup vs twins. Once you get that decided, then look at the available vendors. A good source for information is The Turbo Forums.com.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
I have a Hellion twin kit and the product is very nice and complete, relatively easy install. Their quick with shipment, and customer service is great.

HP has known customer service issues, THP and HPP seem to be very high quality kits, but I don't know anything about their service, or how easy their kits bolt on.

Do some searching on here and modularfords, their is more information than you could ever read on this subject.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
how about on3performance?

Get ready for a barrage of comments on cheap chinese turbo kits and cracked welds.

Truth is, there have been some instances of alignment issues on a couple of the hotside pipes but no cracking like most will claim. The only documented case of cracked welds were 2 cracked manifolds on the fox kits, something the mod kits don't even use. He revised the fox kit and started building the manifolds out of mild steel and I have yet to see anyone else having issues since then so that should reassure you on their customer service.

IMO, for the price it can't be beat, even after upgrading to a better turbo. You'll get the chest beaters in here about it not being made in the US (while typing on their overseas built computer) and how much it sucks because it doesn't cost $7k. There are too many people running around with these kits now making good HP to try and discount the kit as a POS anymore.

Bullitt357

Established Member
how about on3performance?

If you're a gamblin' man I say go for it. My tuner won't touch those kits any more. One car was making 14# of boost with a 6# spring installed in the wastegate and the other car something happened to the exhaust housing. If you do go with one of those kits do yourself a favor and get a reputable turbo, wastegate, and bypass valve. Pay a little extra now and avoid a bunch of headaches.

Greg@RET

Established Member
I can make you any kind of custom kit you want, but the car needs to be here. No off the shelf stuff.

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
Too bad you're 1000+ miles away from me!

I need a bunch of other upgrades anyways before I even think about putting down that much power.
Fuel, suspension, and drivetrain

Teej281

Established Member
what is the bennifts and draw backs between single turbo and twin for a cobar

Seems to me that the difference is that singles make more torque than twins but twins usually make better power. I dont know if there is any truth to that or not but from all the dyno's i've seen of single turbos and twins, that twins usually make less torque. turbo98's car is an acception but he is using a lot of high dollar items in his build and i think that car is a miracle. lol

CobraMac

Established Member
Seems to me that the difference is that singles make more torque than twins but twins usually make better power. I dont know if there is any truth to that or not but from all the dyno's i've seen of single turbos and twins, that twins usually make less torque. turbo98's car is an acception but he is using a lot of high dollar items in his build and i think that car is a miracle. lol

One thing...smaller twins (like my 57's) build boost quicker...I'm in full boost easily by 3,800 rpms

Teej281

Established Member
Well its all in how you size your turbo(s). And it sucks to see the numbers in your sig that pushing 3.5lb more boost you only gained 25rwtq but 100rwhp. It just seems to me that twins dont make torque. Things can always be done to help with spool but only so much can be done to make more torque.

CobraMac

Established Member
Well its all in how you size your turbo(s). And it sucks to see the numbers in your sig that pushing 3.5lb more boost you only gained 25rwtq but 100rwhp. It just seems to me that twins dont make torque. Things can always be done to help with spool but only so much can be done to make more torque.

It's not only the twins that deal with the torque, it's also the intake setup....a guy with the same kit and the sullivan intake makes a lot more torque then me. Also the numbers in my sig are on a hurt motor...I will have new numbers on tuesday which will shed real light. And there is only so much that can be done to fix the spool. If you have an 88 turbo, there is no way it gets into full boost on the street around 3,500rpms, no matter what you do.

Users who are viewing this thread