Turbo kit for my 04 cobra

TopEndCobra

VC.TERMINATOR
Established Member
wats up guys first time writeing in svtp. I currently have a 04 cobra with the usuall boltons 2.80 upper, steg port, bassani x pipe with borla stingers, afco heat exchanger. I want big hp this summer n decide to go the turbo route. I jst dnt know how wat company to go with hellion single or hellraiser, Thp, Hpp. Or have my local mustang shop build my turbo set up.
wat are your guys 2 cents,thanks

Alb Cobra

Established Member
I went the custom route. How big of a hp number are you looking at? Left you a visitor message cause I can't pm you.

Greg@RET

Established Member
The Hellion TT kit looks like a real nice kit. If they have it in the shelf I would jump on that. Custom kit will take time, but it will fit perfect.

yellow03vert

Established Member
It really depends what your goals are Hp wise. I really like my Hellion single kit but if you are looking for 850+ I would go with the Hellraiser kit. Both kit are very well put together and make great power. If money is not an issue the HPP kit seems to be the best kit on the market.

TopEndCobra

VC.TERMINATOR
Established Member
for now somethin in the 700 range from wat i understand i would need fuel up grades after that.I asked my locol stang shop n it would run about the same as a hellraiser kit. Is their any driveabilty isues with goin twin or the same as asingle?

yellow03vert

Established Member
The driveabilty is going to be the same for the single or twin setup that is mostly going to be the tune that really effects that. The advantage of going single is there is less parts to worry about or fail and it is usually a little cheaper. The twin setups usually make more power without a lot of modifications to the kit and most people say they spool up faster and are more fun on the street if the turbos are sized right.

Wildcard

Established Member
I don't terrible agree. The debate over single or twin is as old as the chicken and the egg. Twins a reason for them for sure is packaging. A single with the correct back side will spool just as quickly and can make tons of hp. Small compressors housings produce higher temp charge air whereas a larger housing will have lower charged air temps. Both have their pros and cons. It's basically preference as in the end one is not better than the other, just which is better for your setup.

Last edited:

quikcobra

Established Member
If your looking to go turbo I have everything you will need (99-01 upper & lower intake, alt, coolant cross over, 2n 1 out intercooler, ect... All you will need the the turbo, hot side, and cold side piping. I'll trade you for the eaton swap. You save on the 8 grand for a turbo kit, I get the parts I want PM me if interested

yellow03vert

Established Member
I agree a properly sized single will spool just about the same as twins. I still believe in the end if you are looking for huge power (900+) a twin setup will get you there and be more fun for the street than a larger single. I have been reading some really good things about the precision billet 76 if you do decide to go with a single setup.

Greg@RET

Established Member
Go twin's and you wont ever regret it. For the fueling just get a return set up, dont mess around with FPDM's, FRPS's, Battery voltage tables, etc.. lol Make sure you run a HPX meter in a blow thru config and your golden.

TopEndCobra

VC.TERMINATOR
Established Member
ohh man both sound pretty sweet, n i have heard real good things about precision, Its jst the whole turbo sizeing that
throws me off. If i were to go single or twin wat would be the best a/r, size n brand for the street with the occasional track trip. ??
i came accross mmr's hot side pipeing on their website it looks pretty nice and it has a t4 flange all ready welded with awastegate provision a swell. wat do u guys think
N the return style fuel system sounds alot simpler then returnless

TRBO VNM

Both have their pros and cons. It's basically preference as in the end one is not better than the other, just which is better for your setup.

Finally, someone gets it. Thank you.

This also can be said about the people stating one kit is better than the other. Again, it is your needs and what you want in a kit that make it the BEST for YOU. NOT the best on the market. I never listened to the people in the beginning when they said this kit is the best or that kit is the best. I looked at the the kits and everything about them from price, material and parts used, warranty, customer service, etc. then I picked from there.

Wildcard

Established Member
Finally, someone gets it. Thank you.

This also can be said about the people stating one kit is better than the other. Again, it is your needs and what you want in a kit that make it the BEST for YOU. NOT the best on the market. I never listened to the people in the beginning when they said this kit is the best or that kit is the best. I looked at the the kits and everything about them from price, material and parts used, warranty, customer service, etc. then I picked from there.

x2. I'm more of a custom made guy. Used to build them for a living and am fortunate to be apart of the Accufab family, and am 1 of the only street cars other than 3 ford gts who have accufab powerplants on the street, as well as a former Precision Turbo and Engine Distributor. From my experience of building and being around John and the race car creations- the turbos that are used are for what works best for the setup. If you are buying a kit, customer service, kit reputation (i.e. smoking, damage, other problems should be your main concern). As well as build material... steel or stainless, I'm a stainless fan (by far!), and quality of the turbo that you are getting in the kit, as well as the wastegate.. I have seen some kits that sell with what I believe to be a far too small wastegate. You are going to want to look at all of these points. From a former business owner and turbo kit designer point of view, most of the people who asked me to build turbos for them first wanted twins simply because they believed that more was better, or two was better than one, not looking at what was best for their setup.

For instance, If I was setting up a street light to street light car, or a road racer, I would get two small 38mm turbos or something in that vicinity to give me immediate boost. They will top out, and be out of boost at the upper register of the motor, but for the quick and immediate boost it would be perfect for that application. Now Like my setup I like speed and the 200 mph mark. now for that setup I want something that is going to shine in the upper register. I run a turbo that's the size of the Basketball, and Turbonetics Super-T 76. Now if this turbo was not ceramic ball bearing, and designed like it was with Milhovetz doing some secret tweaks on his flow bench to increase its efficiency, it would probably be a dog down low, but it spools up just the same a normal 76- possibly faster. The fact is, that you have to decided what is best for you. Both will put a smile on your face. And both will make a mean street car.

as well as the backing, for a Turbo Lincoln LS that I built the customer wanted immedate boost. So I used a .58 A/R backing. Something that would get the 61 mm spinning quick. For my car I use a .81 A/R- perfect for the street. Not to high, not to low, just right.

for a street car I would aim between .68 and .81 A/R.

and try to get the biggest downpipe that you can get.

Also look at kit ground clearance. You don't want to be repairing pipes down the road if you car is NASCAR low.

Learning about turbos is key if you are to buy a kit, or build a kit. Go out and get a copy of Corky Bell "Maximum Boost." Then you will know what is expectable in turbo design and in the materials used to aid you before you drop down 4-6 grand... Trust me knowledge is power.

Stainless is a big plus for me

Looks like another turboforums member is on here :beer:

Last edited:

TopEndCobra

VC.TERMINATOR
Established Member
wild card blew my mind. Were would i find coorkys book.? n i know this question is pretty old but wat would be the best cooling system?. for the street water to air or air to air? n fuel system to wise wat would be the bst size injectoors etc for 700hp?

carolinacat

...LOST
Established Member
TEC..Ive got that book it cover the basics very well. Its an older book though some of the stuff is antiquated a little. Do an air to air for the street and 700 hp. some 72s injectors will be plenty large.
I just finishin up makin my twin kit for my car and i can tell you It can be a pain in the ass at times but in the end is very rewarding experience.
I went with twin 62mm with .82 turbine housing im using a 6x6x28 air to air cooler. 3inch dps as well.
linky to a few quick pics.
016.JPG - Windows Live

Wildcard: Oh yea for years.

Last edited:

Wildcard

Established Member
Corkys book can be found at barnes and noble or borders. I know there are some who disagree, but I only use air-to-air on the street. Simple, reliable, and will keep temps down. Air-to-water on the street will heat up after about 30 mins of driving on the street. On the track air-to-water shines with the aids of ice or dry ice. I'd go with a Garrett piece, one of the precision premade pieces work great. I use a BTI Mega Godzilla I/C with a Greddy core that measures 20x11.75x5.25. It's a huge overkill I/C, but is nicely matched to the overkill turbo.

I am running a 4" downpipe with a magnaflow straight thru muffler.

Returnstyle fuel system with twin bosch 044s will solve all of your fuel issues. CPR rails and 60s or higher for injectors, along with the pmas hpx- if you build your own kit.

Last edited:

TopEndCobra

VC.TERMINATOR
Established Member
yeah its in barn n noble. Im actually gana pick up corkys book in a few. Wat would be a good size air to air intercooler for my car, theirs alot of pre fab ones i seen spearco, precision, megan, vibrant etc. What size would you guys choose for 700-800hp?? n is the tial 50mm b.o.v good for either single or twin?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread