Turbo Horsepower Twin T-67 car getting closer....

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Here is the latest update from Dave! All is well now...WOOHOO

"Car idles now. Had to richen the hell out of the meter at idle though. Turned adaptive off and after about 5 seconds, it goes to 14.7. The sound of the car in person is just unreal. Car only had the downtubes on there under the K-member, but imagine a 60's muscle car that has 500rwhp and multiply it by 10. We have to go over a few things, but pictures will come today."

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Thanks Dave, appreciate it very much man. I have a feeling your car will be up and running very soon too. I am sure it will feel good to drive it again!

4.6modular

The Learning SVT Poster
Established Member
Your combo is an inspiration from which I would like aspire to with my future and possible turbo modification. Is your car at Injected Racing in Springfield? I live about 60 miles from Springfield and I am there constantly. Dave is a super nice guy. When is he planning on doing the dyno tuning? I would love to go a watch. Hell if I knew it was down there to begin with I would have already went down and visited with Dave about your car!

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Thanks for asking, I was just going to post an update. Yes my car is at Injected right now. I just got off the phone with Dave 5 minutes ago. Jim and gang from THP are there this morning helping Dave finish up my car and Painters, and then both cars are going to the dyno tonight. They are trailering the cars up to St Louis tomorrow. As soon as I have some dyno results, I will post em up. The anticipation is KILLING me.

BONESAW

Established Member
Hello all! Kinda new to the internet but I'm looking to do a little research.
Any updates on your build?
The THP kit looks really nice, but after talking to Jim and reading stuff on this board, it seems like things aren't adding up right. Jim talked like there are a ton of his his kits on the road but it sounds like there are very few. I really like the idea of twin turbos but I want to make big power. I've already gone deep in the 10s with a twin screw and spray but I'm looking to go low 10s or faster. 900+ hp should more than do it, but it seems as if THPs fastest car has only gone low 11s. Just curious how things are going and how many of these kits are known to be out there and running? I plan on doing the install myself but if it's going to be a big headache, I'll just pay the extra little bit of money for a custom kit so I know there will be no problems. There are a couple of real good shops in my area that are more than capable. Thanks for any input guys!

Regards......Ryan.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
BONESAW said:
...snip... I plan on doing the install myself but if it's going to be a big headache, I'll just pay the extra little bit of money for a custom kit so I know there will be no problems. There are a couple of real good shops in my area that are more than capable. Thanks for any input guys!

Regards......Ryan.

Hey Ryan, you on the Motown Muscle board? Livonia eh?

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
BONESAW said:
The THP kit looks really nice, but after talking to Jim and reading stuff on this board, it seems like things aren't adding up right. Jim talked like there are a ton of his his kits on the road but it sounds like there are very few. I really like the idea of twin turbos but I want to make big power. I've already gone deep in the 10s with a twin screw and spray but I'm looking to go low 10s or faster. 900+ hp should more than do it, but it seems as if THPs fastest car has only gone low 11s. Just curious how things are going and how many of these kits are known to be out there and running? I plan on doing the install myself but if it's going to be a big headache, I'll just pay the extra little bit of money for a custom kit so I know there will be no problems. There are a couple of real good shops in my area that are more than capable. Thanks for any input guys!

Regards......Ryan.
My car is almost ready. Stay tuned for results VERY soon. My car will go EASY 9's on low boost and timing. Most people don't put a chassis/suspension combo together to make their cars hook properly, I did. The results will show themselves very soon. It's hard to get the tuning figured out with the big injectors and that's what we are working on now. Once the driveability is figured out, we'll do the WOT stuff and it will be on the dyno.

BONESAW

Established Member
badcobra said:
My car is almost ready. Stay tuned for results VERY soon. My car will go EASY 9's on low boost and timing. Most people don't put a chassis/suspension combo together to make their cars hook properly, I did. The results will show themselves very soon. It's hard to get the tuning figured out with the big injectors and that's what we are working on now. Once the driveability is figured out, we'll do the WOT stuff and it will be on the dyno.

Actually the tuning is a snap if you have the right person doing it. A couple of hours on a chassis dyno and then some track tuning. This post just made my mind up on which route to go.

badcobra said:
My car will go EASY 9's on low boost and timing.

That is a pretty bold statement! Good luck in your endeavor. I'm looking forward to see some track times from you. I'm gonna go the custom route and we'll compare track times later! I'm gonna run my car at high boost, aggressive timing and race gas! I'll let you know how it turns out! Maybe we can line them up sometime!

Regards....Ryan.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
BONESAW said:
Actually the tuning is a snap if you have the right person doing it. A couple of hours on a chassis dyno and then some track tuning. This post just made my mind up on which route to go.

That is a pretty bold statement! Good luck in your endeavor. I'm looking forward to see some track times from you. I'm gonna go the custom route and we'll compare track times later! I'm gonna run my car at high boost, aggressive timing and race gas! I'll let you know how it turns out! Maybe we can line them up sometime!

Regards....Ryan.
I prefer street tuning, dyno tuning just provides numbers. The runs and drives now, so I'll get it on the dyno likely this week. As for 9's on low boost, I don't think that's such a bold statement. I set the car up to do it, and considering I went 10's with the Eaton, I think its very achievable. Good luck with your build.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Here are a couple pics.....

enginebay1.jpg

enginebay2.jpg

calypsocoral

Established Member
BONESAW said:

Regards......Ryan.

Sir,
To bad you weren't at WFC 9. Let's see there was Bill Ross's old White 2003 Cobra that just made 1,003 RWHP, Tony's Cobra, Ken's Black Cobra, and the new 2006 3V that made 753 RWHP on Race Fuel on a bone stock engine. Then there were the 3 turbo kits on display so that count says 7 right there. That is a few more than the "few" you reference above and that was just one event. Yes, we did have a problem with an install due to a QA1 K member and we are researching that issue with QA1 and I will report that result. Unfortunately, it would have been an easy fix had we been able to actually help the customer as we offered. I offered to travel to that cutomers location and finish the install myslef or send our lead technician at our expense but was refused. I also offered to pay half the cost of the car being transported to our shop and then bring the car all the way back to WFC 9 or back to the customer location in my enclosed trailer free of charge after it was finished, but that was refused. Refusing all that is what doesn't add up. If that offered course of action would have prevailed the car would have been done and running by WFC 9. Please tell me what else Turbo HorsePower could have done to make this right for any customer? What other turbo company would have done any of this?

I will add a post later about your comment on the 11 second car that used to belong to Bill Ross. It is in his own words. You will enjoy it.

Sir, this isn't to imply we are perfect as we are not. Our commitment to our customer is at least as good as any and much better than 95% of any other turbo company out there. Our excellent customer service and ongoing product development are second to none. I wish you well with your turbo research and kit or custom turbo purchase. A turbo rush will put a smile on your face and bankrupt your shrink- I guarantee it! Best regards. Jim - Turbo HorsePower :beer:

Last edited:

TwinTurboTRex

Banned
I am the proud owner of the 03 cobra with THP's twin kit on it that everyone refers to as an 11 second car.............car went 11.17 on pump gas, street tune, and street tires, had a trap speed of 133 and was at 6000ft of elevation, that is 10 seconds at sea level being a .9 off. If anyone is thinking of a kit for their cobra, look at this one, it is awesome, the kit is an easy install with the right parts, knowledgable installers, and is backed greatly by THP. I have had my kit off modding other parts and it goes right back on, I have also witnessed the install of three other kits and they go on in a timely manner. I am sorry to hear that PostBan had some troubles with his install, sounds to me that JIm tried more than anyone else would to help PostBan through them and was rejected.( You are really going to miss out Post Ban) allthough the Hellion kit is nice also, but the twins are crazy, just ask Bad Cobra. Hearing what Jim offered to do to resolve the problem almost makes me wonder if there is more to the story that what Postban is telling, I witnessed the kit being unpacked that Postban sent back, it was all dented and marked like some kids were trying to play with a lego set of something. My car just made the 1000RWHP mark and is going to do more on Friday, we were just out of injector. I have dealt with HP, and it was not good, and now I could not be happier than I am with the THP kit, check these guys out, the welds are awesome, the finish is awesome, and the power is unreal, they really know how to make the kit flow. Good luck with Your car Postban, maybe You will finally get it up and going, than we can line them up on the street and see who is smiling at the end with my 11 second ride. lol

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
its 1000 corrected for sea level. I cant imagine someone doing 1000rwhp on 60lb injectors...

any updates badcobra?

calypsocoral

Established Member
Bill Ross answer

mike rousch said:
i hate to say but if your car made 1000+ rwhp than it should have gone way faster than 133!!

This is a quote from what the original owner of the car had to say on another forum "Racing Southwest" about the White Cobra and the times it ran. It should enlighten the situation regarding the times at the drags. Enjoy! Jim Turbo HorsePower :beer:

2V = 912 RWHP
3V = 753 RWHP
4V = 1,003 RWHP

Bill Ross's quote:
I can clarify everything about the car as I made all of the decisions as to what I wanted to do with the car as far as modifications, motor, THP TT's, Shinoda certification, etc.
The first thing that i would like to state is the fastest ET the car has "officially" gone at a race track with timing equipment was the 11.17 @130.9MPH with a 1.71 60' time with my buddy Anthony Dickson driving the car at ABQ Dragway in 6,000'DA on the old blower/N2O stock motor set up. Right after he made a pass in the car, I jumped in and went 11.19 @ 130.MPH with a 1.69 60' without a cool down period. Anthony can drive the heck out of a car, and I felt that I was a pretty good driver to begin with, so that just backed up my thoughts at that point, even though I felt with Anthony having a little more seat time in the car, he would have gone another 1/10th or so faster IMO.
As far as the car running down the track with the TT kit on it, Lightweight drove the car down the track on only 14/15PSI of boost in a much higher DA of 7,259' WITHOUT a 2 step on the car and the car went 11.2x @ 132.59 with a 1.55 60' time. There were some troubles with my wideband O2 sensor and we tried to turn the boost up, but with us still tweaking the tune, I WAS NOT going to break a freshly built motor that I had just thrown a pile of money into, so I decided not to push the car any farther until we did some more work on the car. I was recovering from a dislocated shoulder, so I did not drive the car that night, as i was still having neck and back issues . I did take the car back to the track about a week later and made a couple of passes in the car on 14/15PSI WITHOUT a 2 step again, ( which really is need to see the full potential on a turbo stick car), but I did not run the car on anything higher than the 14/15 PSI as I wanted to adjust to the new setup and try to go as fast as possible before putting the 2 step in there.
On low boost at ABQ, with some good traction, this car will easily be deep into the tens, and on high boost it will be into the 9's IMHO. The car on low boost without a 2 step was consistently being driven by MYSELF in the 1.55-1.59 60' range with the 26x11.5x16 ET Streets aired down to 10PSI, still spinning through the first 60'-100' depending on the pass, and there was some additional tuning we were doing on the car, because there was an occassional hiccup in betweeen shifts, that was later taken care of through a new tune. Once the new tune was completed, I NEVER had the car back to the track due to a crazy work schedule. Nate( HellionCobra) activated the 2 step through the Diablo CMR software, and the car violently shook the tires on the street with it activated. This was done with both myself driving and Chris Groves from the Dyno Edge at his shop , and I only wish that I could have made just one pass down the strip with some decent traction on low boost and the 2 step activated, as i know the car would have destroyed the 10's on 15PSI & pump gas( which is what I drove the car on a daily basis).
In ending, I did not beat my car on a regular basis like Rex stated, I was extremely anal about taking care of it, changing fluids, plugs, filters, etc. many more times than they should have been, but I maintained it like a race car , and drove it normally 85-90% of the time. I chose not powershift it after the TT's were put on, as traction was a major issue for the first 3 gears when I did powershift, so that left some more on the table. I don't like to get involved with the drama that usually transpires, but I did wqant to clean the air so to speak and I truly hope this answers many people's questions. I enjoy cars and speed for what they are, as do i enjoy the company of others who feel the same passion as myself. We just need to get along and respect each other for what we have, not judge through jealousy or anger. Have a great day

Last edited:

TwinTurboTRex

Banned
mike rousch said:
i hate to say but if your car made 1000+ rwhp than it should have gone way faster than 133!!

Read further down and You will understand, and yes it will go faster than 133mph in the quarter........................ :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread