Turbo for 94 Cobra

ballx4xlife

Established Member
Hey guys, i'm looking at getting a turbo for my 94. Its only got 20k miles on it. I currently have the Trick Flow H/C/I package and basically all the bolt ons. I am planning on getting a 347 stroker kit with a new shortblock from fordstrokers.com within the next year. I am currently looking at the Treadstone kit for the 87-93 stangs and the only thing different would be my cold air piping or intercooler piping. So I might buy everything seperate and custom make my cold air piping.

First of all which turbo would you recommend? and which A/R? I am leaning towards the turbonetics turbos, maybe the 62-1 or t66?

Also, what all parts would I need for the turbo kit since I am piecing it together? (I am fairly new with turbos)

And then what cam would you recommend? (keep in mind I am planning on stroking it within the next year)

Last edited:

ballx4xlife

Established Member
Look up reviews of Treadstone on turboforums.com. I would look into On3, or BG before Treadstone.

the on3performance looks good and the price also looks really good. I would be worried about the house turbo (i read i could upgrade to the MP t70) and also the house BOV and wastegate, what do you think of those 3 items? the piping and everything else looks good.

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
Some people have run them with success, but anytime I have figured on getting one, I went ahead and pretended the cheaper turbo didnt exist. I would at the very least run the MP70, but thats just me.

ballx4xlife

Established Member
Some people have run them with success, but anytime I have figured on getting one, I went ahead and pretended the cheaper turbo didnt exist. I would at the very least run the MP70, but thats just me.

thats what I was thinking. would you recommend going even further and getting a ball bearing?

CobraMac

Established Member
The first thing you need to do before deciding what kit and additional items etc is set out how much you plan on spending. Set a MAX number because with turbo builds there's always something the will come up that will need extra cash to do. So set a max number and then you can start from there

ballx4xlife

Established Member
The first thing you need to do before deciding what kit and additional items etc is set out how much you plan on spending. Set a MAX number because with turbo builds there's always something the will come up that will need extra cash to do. So set a max number and then you can start from there

i want to spend as little as possible, but since i am planning on buying a new short block and 347 kit, i want to buy good enough parts and big enough parts (like a turbo) so i dont have to turn around and buy a bigger turbo once i stroke it

i dont know if you guys have looked at the kit, but the only other things i will need that arent included in the kit are a fuel pump and y-pipe, I called Trick Flow and asked them if the stage 1 cam will work with the turbo and they said yeah and told me not to waste money on a new cam until the stroker kit. Am I missing any other parts that i will need that dont come with the kit?

CPRsm

I wouldn't even waste the money on a stroker to be honest until you got a real block. Bone stock motor will out last the block.

CobraMac

Established Member
i want to spend as little as possible, but since i am planning on buying a new short block and 347 kit, i want to buy good enough parts and big enough parts (like a turbo) so i dont have to turn around and buy a bigger turbo once i stroke it

i dont know if you guys have looked at the kit, but the only other things i will need that arent included in the kit are a fuel pump and y-pipe, I called Trick Flow and asked them if the stage 1 cam will work with the turbo and they said yeah and told me not to waste money on a new cam until the stroker kit. Am I missing any other parts that i will need that dont come with the kit?

1) If you are going with a turbo I would not do a stroker...do some research on it in the turbo cobra section and on modularfords. There's a reason all of us do not have strokers.

2) If you want a good kit, either buy a company that is known for having good quality or have it custom made. The last thing you want is parts breaking with a turbo build as it's more complicated than a normal roots/twin screw blower setup.

3) Cam-wise I would be careful, as most turbo guys either have specific turbo cams or custom ground cams.

Making a lot of power is not cheap...especially when it breaks. I don't constantly tell guys this stuff when they want to go turbo because I try to persuade them against it...I say it because I know from experience, along with allll the other guys...so I am giving you advice and a heads up. If you want something reliable where you are not going to worry about when it's going to break or if it is...then spend the money to do so.

Last edited:

CPRsm

1) If you are going with a turbo I would not do a stroker...do some research on it in the turbo cobra section and on modularfords. There's a reason all of us do not have strokers.

Well he's talking about a pushrod. Stroker are definitely worth it on push rods. But not really in this case. Only because the stock parts will outlast the stock block

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
:poke: ^^what he said. Not a modular car he's working with here.

I'm looking into doing a turbo 347 as well in my next build. I am not aware of any good kits for a 94/95 pushrod... would like to go hellion but they don't list a kit for the 94/95's on their website. If I am understanding right, the only reason the fox kits won't work is because some of the cold piping doesn't fit.

CobraMac

Established Member
Well he's talking about a pushrod. Stroker are definitely worth it on push rods. But not really in this case. Only because the stock parts will outlast the stock block

That didn't even register in my mind about it being a pushrod...good point lol

ballx4xlife

Established Member
:poke: ^^what he said. Not a modular car he's working with here.

I'm looking into doing a turbo 347 as well in my next build. I am not aware of any good kits for a 94/95 pushrod... would like to go hellion but they don't list a kit for the 94/95's on their website. If I am understanding right, the only reason the fox kits won't work is because some of the cold piping doesn't fit.

yes, as far as i know the only reason they dont fit is because of the elbow in the intake

ballx4xlife

Established Member
That didn't even register in my mind about it being a pushrod...good point lol

this may be a stupid question, but could a 76mm turbo be too big? I am planning on getting the stroker kit this winter and thats why i kind of want to go with a 76mm, instead of buying a smaller one and getting a larger one with the stroker kit. Or should i go with a smaller and get the larger later?

CobraMac

Established Member
this may be a stupid question, but could a 76mm turbo be too big? I am planning on getting the stroker kit this winter and thats why i kind of want to go with a 76mm, instead of buying a smaller one and getting a larger one with the stroker kit. Or should i go with a smaller and get the larger later?

It just depends on how you want it setup...a 76 will make more power but it comes at a price of more spool time. You're going to be making power later in the RPM band. With my twin 57's I make boost around 2,500 and am at full boost by 4,000. Guys with bigger turbos won't hit full boost til like 5,000-5,500. Keep in mind with a single turbo build you won't want a 57mm turbo. Go with a 61mm at least.

Glueyes1

Established Member
I got a B&G kit.Pretty good kit and there technical support is pretty good as well.Brian will answer and help you in anyway with his kits

Glueyes1

Established Member

I dont care what type of stroker kit you get.If you plan on running a stock block with a 76 your going to split it like a bad wig..Go with a smaller turbo for now it will spool allot quicker and the car will be more then a hand full

Users who are viewing this thread